Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingRepackboxSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRotoMetals2Wideners
Reloading Everything Load Data

Thread: scope for 22-250

Boolit Bub

scope for 22-250

I just picked up a 22-250. It will mostly be used for target but once a year it will be used for coyote and prarie dogs
    I am looking for opinions on what scope to put on it.

Boolit Grand Master

Is the rifle a light weight walk around like my ADL M700 sporter or a heavy barreled "varmint" rifle? Also are you going to be calling coyotes or spot and stalking them?

Reasons for the questions is a crew served scope is a bit unhandy on the sporter and too small a scope, both size and power, can inhibit a true varmint rifle, particularly on smaller PDs at longish ranges.

Larry Gibson

If you are going to use it mostly for target, as you say, then I would look for a minimum 12X and would like a 16X fixed power with adjustable objective, preferably with a fine crosshair. That's my .02 worth!
    You boys gonna draw them pistols or whistle Dixie

NRA ENDOWMENT MEMBER

"The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent fishing."
    ------Babylonian Proverb

Boolit Bub
    [QUOTE=Larry Gibson;998324]Is the rifle a light weight walk around like my ADL M700 sporter or a heavy barreled "varmint" rifle? Also are you going to be calling coyotes or spot and stalking them?

It is a 24" tapered barrel. I will spot and stalk and calling.

I agree with the others. Don't go with something huge and very high magnification. Really high Magnification in my mind is over about 15x-16x. I've got a sporter barrel .223 that has had a 4x-12x for over 20 years. It works good.
    Mrs. Hogwallop up and R-U-N-N-O-F-T.

Banned

if it were mine it would probably get a 3.5x10 or a 4.5x14 leupold.

Boolit Master

I have several of these.
    http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=609198
    They are a great scope! Haven't failed me yet.
    I have one on my -06 and no issues.

Boolit Grand Master

[QUOTE=fabricator21;998584]
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    Is the rifle a light weight walk around like my ADL M700 sporter or a heavy barreled "varmint" rifle? Also are you going to be calling coyotes or spot and stalking them?

It is a 24" tapered barrel. I will spot and stalk and calling.
    I've used a 2x7 with duplex reticle on my ADL and it worked great for calling and spot and stalk on coyotes. However, the 7X was a little wanting for smaller targets like rock cucks and PDs at longer ranges. I put a 10X on it and it then worked great for the smaller varmints at longer ranges but really sucked on a call when 'yote comes in at 20 yards. Last was a Leaupold Tactical 3.5x10X with target andustments. The 3.5 works fne on a call ad the higher powers, especilly the 10X works great on spot and stalk and longer shots on smaller varmints. The scope os light weight and compact compared to some I see on sporters these days. It is easy to carry and easy to shoot. The precise adjustments make longer range shooting a lot easier than hold over or trying to figure what is the hold over between dots or stadia marks. The 3.5x10X Leupold is on that rifle to stay.

Larry Gibson

Boolit Master

I like the Burris 4.5x14 for varmint rifles. I have a couple and they are a good compromise between weight, quality, magnification, and price. The big mail order firms tend to have them on special quite often too.

Smile

Mine is wearing a NIKON fieldmaster 4,5-14X40 side focus. A fine scope for the bucks !

Boolit Master
    Good grief, there's so many good scopes on the market today to choose from. Just make sure you don't go over 4x on the low end (4.5 is okay), and you really won't have any need for anything over 14-16x on the high end. A 3x9 would even serve you fine.

Boolit Master
    I have a heavy barrel 22-250 with a BSA 6-24 power rebuild from matchez. The scope is not that heavy stands up to recoil and was under75.00 , comes with a lifetime warranty. My 25-06 carries an old redfield 6-16 also works. Just my thoughtss.
    jim