Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingWidenersLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataRotoMetals2Repackbox
Inline Fabrication

Thread: Cleanest powder for 38 Special loads?

Boolit Buddy

Cleanest powder for 38 Special loads?

Hi,

I am using the Lee 358-148-WC and 358-158-RF molds. I've used Win 231 a lot in these and other cartridges because I have 5 lbs of it left. Tt seems to be a very dirty power - but quite accurate with good power.

I recently used Trail Boss with the 158 grain bullets and like it very much for mild loads and it seems cleaner.

I'm curious if anyone has really focused on the "clean-burning" powders for this cartridge. I'm happy with the Trail Boss for light loads. So, I'm looking for something that will push the medium to heavy loads in the 800-900 FPS with reasonable accuracy and be cleaner burning. I shoot 100 to 200 rounds when I go out and the Win 231 just seems to make a mess.

Just looking for some experienced input.

Thanks
    Email: daryl@ohioguns.us

I'm an FFL interested in wholesale purchases of modern firearms. http://www.ohioguns.us - Credit/Debit cards OK. Site has constantly changing inventory - will ship to your FFL.

Boolit Buddy

clean burning SR4756

Daryl,
    I have been using SR4756 in my Marlin 1894 rifle and was suprised that there was not one speck of residue in the barrel. It looked like I had just cleaned it.
    John

Clays is pretty clean.

Power level matters too. The hotter you load your rounds, the cleaner they usually burn.
    “an armed society is a polite society.”
    Robert A. Heinlein

"Idque apud imperitos humanitas vocabatur, cum pars servitutis esset."
    Publius Tacitus

"Clean" is pretty far down my list of goals for a good load. Accuracy, velocity, uniformity, economy and utility are way above how clean it shoots. Still, if I can achieve all the former and find that it shoots clean as well, that's a bonus.

Jim is right about Clays, and the power level observation, too.

Boolit Grand Master

I agree with Rocky and since I always (unless testing for some reason) clean my firearms after a shooting session I've not found the so called "clean" burning powders offer anything. The cleaning regimen remains the same regardless of the powder. "Accuracy, velocity, uniformity, economy and utility" are also my criteria for selection of a powder. I've found it is more a function of cast bullets with lube vs jacketed bullets that effects "dirty" vs "clean". I have been shooting Bullseye and Unique in pistols and revolvers for 42+ years. They are supposidly the "dirtyest" powders yet I've never had a problem with either of them. They always give excellent results of my mentioned criteria. I've run well over 500 - 1000+ rounds of Bullseye and Unique cast bullet test loads through several revolvers and semi's without cleaning and never had a problem with either because they were "dirty". I've also shot a lot of 231 with cast bullets in my M1911s and K38s and never could discern much benifit over Bullseye. Not to say I wouldn't take 5 lbs of 231 if you don't want to dirty your gun

Larry Gibson

Boolit Master
    Another to agree with Rocky. I go for performance. They are not that hard to clean. Hitting the target with the power level that you want trumps clean any day in my book. I have never compared fouling levels. Using the load levels that the powder was designed for should give the best results.
    The man who invented the plow was not bored. He was hungry.

Boolit Master

With j-bullets or copper plated, American Select is so clean the gun will look unfired after shooting a box of ammo. With cast bullets and conventional hard wax lube, it's dirty just like all other powders -- but not especially dirty. I haven't tried it with Rooster Jacket lube yet.

Promo is pretty clean, and it's accurate, and it's CHEAP.

I've heard good things about PB powder but I haven't tried it.

Boolit Master

If clean is the goal Clay's is one you want to try. FB

Boolit Master

I'm with RR on clean.
    Accuracy, velocity and nothing else except maybe smoke even come into play.

I will likely have to at least wipe down the exterior after shooting so cleaning is cleaning if I decide a full cleaning is called for.
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!

bhn22
    VV N320 is very popular with the IPSC crowd. I clean my guns anyway, so this really isn't an issue for me. Your biggest issue is likely to be bullet lube anyway.

I use Solo 1000 for my .38s and find it to be the cleanest powder I've come across. I shoot mostly revolver competition with ICORE and USPSA. With other powders I would have to clean the cylinder after every stage so that I didn't have problems reloading under the clock.

With Solo 1000 I can shoot upwards of 1000 rounds without cleaning the cylinders and the last load will go in just as fast as the first.

3.7 grains will make just over 800 fps in my 686 with a 6 inch barrel. My competition load is 4.0 grains so that I make the power factor for both organizations with no problems. I can get 1 inch groups from the bench at 25 yards with this load.

I also use 1000 with my LBT 180 grain bullet which really groups well. It's a little bit more recoil than I need but it's becoming my new favorite load.
    Go ahead and run. You will only die tired

bhn22
    I can relate to the chamber fouling issue. I lost my clubs last bowling pin match because I didn't have time between relays to run a brush through my revolver chambers. After 2 rounds, my 180 gr LBTs wouldn't chamber anymore. Talk about frustration! If only I hadn't dropped that first shot I'd have won.

Quote Originally Posted by bhn22 View Post
    Your biggest issue is likely to be bullet lube anyway.
    +1, Wipe their little bottoms.

Boolit Master

By far the cleanest powders you'll ever shoot are VihtaVouri.

My criteria for powder follows Rocky's (and most everyone else's it seems!) and unlike Larry I'm notorious for not cleaning often... V.V. Powders actually left my barrel cleaner-looking than before I started shooting!

Anyway, I quit using them due to their cost. As a commercial reloader, my volume plus dealer discount price per pound was within pennies of full retail price for "American" powders with neither dealer nor volume discounts... Clean wasn't worth that much money to me. I shoot W231 for 90% of my pistol loading now.
    Group Buy Honcho for: 9x135 Slippery, 45x200 Target (H&G68), 45x230 Gov't Profile, 44x265 Keith

E-mail or PM me if you have one of the following commemorative Glocks you'd like to sell: FBI 100yr, Bell Helo, FOP Lodge1, Kiowa Warrior, SCI, and any new/unknown-to-me commemoratives.

Boolit Master
    A 38 special load is a low pressure round and throwing powder in the case that doesn't burn well under low pressures is going to be "dirtier" than other powders that burn completely (quicker powders) at low pressures. This doesn't mean that the slower powders which may not have complete burn are not good for accuracy as you have noted with Winchester 231.

I tend to load mid to slow burn rate powders in perspective to the intended caliber as there is greater powder density in the case which almost always helps with ignition consistency and directly influences accuracy. So clean is not my objective as you can see..............the guns end up being cleaned anyway when I come back from shooting them.

Quicker powders will tend to burn cleaner in the 38's and Hodgdon Clays is a very good option as been mentioned since its burn rate is at the quicker end and is formulated to be clean.

Boolit Master

Smile

Some day when you have a free afternoon load up a couple od dozen with a lightly compressed load of fffg. You will find out that they are all clean burning.
    The man who invented the plow was not bored. He was hungry.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rhead View Post
    Some day when you have a free afternoon load up a couple od dozen with a lightly compressed load of fffg. You will find out that they are all clean burning.

Even more fun when you use them in a PPC competition. Stand upwind from the rest of the line and listen to the comments!
    Knowledge I take to my grave is wasted.

I prefer to use cartridges born before I was.

Success doesn't make me happy, being happy is what allows me to be successful.

Boolit Master
    I have switched from Unique to PB for most of my pistol loads. The burn rate is quite similar to Unique but it runs through the measures superbly and is probably the cleanest burning powder that I have ever used. PB is an old powder. It has been on the market since before I was born and that was beforeWW II. It is nnormally classed as a shotgun powder. I first became aquainted with it a number of years ago when it was listed a the best load tested in a new Browning Hi-Power. Neil