MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Repackbox
Load DataInline FabricationLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
Wideners Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 44 mag starline brass

Boolit Grand Master

44 mag starline brass

anyone have trouble with this brass ????
    I have had 4-5 cases split down the side and its quite irregular
    I use the same charge in other brass and these split
    I thought starline was supposed to be good brass

Boolit Master on Heavens Range
    Lots of factors. Prolly not the fault of the brass itself, but how it was stored and the cylinder it was shot in. If the brass is thick, and the cylinders big, then trouble can be expected. Primer pockets can give a clue as well. ... felix
    felix

Boolit Master

I use Starline for .44 mag and .45 Colt and have had nothing but good results from them. It's not impossible they had a bad batch but it is unlikely. I would take felix's advise and look into other factors if nothing show's up call Starline and talk with them. I'm sure if it is a bad run of brass that they will make it right. FB

Black Powder 100%

Livingston, La. 20 miles east of Baton Rouge, La.
    I buy and use Starline brass for all the calibers that I shoot. I have some cases that have been loaded at least 10 times and will most likely shoot another 10 times.I am talking about 44mag,45 auto, 357 mag, 45 Colt and 44-40. Check all the dimensions on your gun and if you don't have the proper tools to do so have it checked ay a gunsmith.You can also have a friend who has a 44 mag shoot one of your loads in his hand gun. Measure the fired case from yours and compare it to the one fired in his gun.
    Shooter of the "HOLY BLACK" SASS 81802 AKA FAIRSHAKE; NRA ; BOLD; WARTHOG;Deadwood Marshal;Bayou Bounty Hunter; So That his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat; 44 WCF filled to the top, 210 gr. bullet

Boolit Master

I have had good results in 44 mag and 45 colt.

Banned

Starline is about the best.
    Doesn't matter what brass you try, if a case is going to split it usually happens at the first firing. I am still shooting .44 brass that has been loaded over 40X. Never split one except at the first loading. My SBH has LARGE chambers, anything shot out of it will not go in any other .44.

Boolit Master

I only have 6-7 reloads on my Starline 44 mag brass, no problems here at all.
    John 3: 16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

Boolit Master
    Last Saturday I ran 100 fullhouse loads through my Redhawk without problems. Starline Brass made in July of this year. I've seen That Kind of split only once before in once fired Remington brass. Same Gun.
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Boolit Grand Master
    use it in my 45 no probs
    just the 4dfoe

Boolit Master
    Good in my Rossi 92 Clone.
    Thanx, Tim Kelley
    SFC US Army (Ret)
    NRA Life

Still have noclue!

"IN GOD WE TRUST"

Boolit Master
    I've used Starline brass in a number of different calibers and I like it the best.

Boolit Mold
    I had four or five .45 Colts split like that out of one batch of Starline (ragged line all the way down the side of the case). All the rest have been fine for several loadings.

Boolit Bub
    I "discovered" Starline brass a couple of years ago.

Truly excellent sales and service!

Been doing a "torture test" on some .357 Mag cases from Starline.

The first batch of 50 cases had the first split neck (a very minor split) on the 30th reloading. As of the 37th reloading, I have had a total of 6 cases with minor splits in the necks.

My second batch of 50 cases had the first split neck on the 25th reloading.

Last week, I took that first batch to the range to see if the six split necks would do anything noticeable to group size. From sand bags, at 20 yards, the six cases with split necks put the six bullets into 1.6", c-t-c.

Seems that most of my reloading manuals insist that cases with split necks be "removed from service." Why? They still group fine and the splits don't seem to be growing very much.

Groo here
    The split neck can cause a squib shot by not holding the bullet long enough for
    the powder to get going..

Moderator Emeritus

I use starline in 41M and 44Mag.
    I've had only good results.
    Jon
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Banned

i gain about 50 fps with starline over rem brass and some40-50 airc with rem over win brass,
    you can't just change brass without doing a work-up.

Boolit Buddy
    My Dad used Starline brass in his .44 Magnums (Ruger Blackhawk and S&W M29-2) never had any problems.
    Quote Originally Posted by runfiverun View Post
    i gain about 50 fps with starline over rem brass and some40-50 airc with rem over win brass,
    you can't just change brass without doing a work-up.
    ^^^^^-- this!

Gotta watch the Rem brass; it seems to be thinner than many other brands. Doesn't seem to reload well at all for .45 ACP; get inconsistent tension on the boolits.

As always, if you change ANY component or your OAL (seating depth), start at the bottom and work up again; it's a whole new ballgame.

Boolit Buddy

Starline 44 brass has been equal to any other major US brand that I've used.

In Remembrance
    I prefer Starline for my .44 Special "match loads" as I've found it to be superb in both consistency and durability.

Boolit Master

It wasn't nickle-plated was it?

I found nickle-plated to split like this before the non-plated will, but that was with 15-yr-old brass that had been reloaded too many times to count, not on first firing. I think the nickle-plating process, added to the work-hardening of repeated sizing and firing, causes those cracks earlier on the nickle-plated brass.

My recommendation, if you had quite a few do it, is to call Star-Line and let them know what's going on. They'll probably want the whole box of brass back and replace it with new for free, if it's a problem with a large percentage of the brass (like >5%). If it's not that many, they may just send you some extra brass or compensate you some other way. They have good customer service.
    Group Buy Honcho for: 9x135 Slippery, 45x200 Target (H&G68), 45x230 Gov't Profile, 44x265 Keith

E-mail or PM me if you have one of the following commemorative Glocks you'd like to sell: FBI 100yr, Bell Helo, FOP Lodge1, Kiowa Warrior, SCI, and any new/unknown-to-me commemoratives.