MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyLoad Data
RepackboxInline FabricationRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Reloading Everything Wideners
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: BOXES for bullets???

Check out the nearest Staples office supply store. They are selling plastic boxes with lids on them ranging from a size that will hold a Lyman 2-cavity mold to a size big enough that it would hold 500 or so 35 cal boolits. They are cheap.

Boolit Master
    Just a note here, i stored some 220 Swift reloads in my barn several years ago in cardboard box's. The mice chewed the box's all to heck. Food for thought.

Boolit Grand Master in Remembrance

Empty shotgun shell boxes with a sticker stating whats inside works for me.

Boolit Master
    Big boolits , I use cookie tins,. Watch yard sales,and the dollar stores with that in mind.
    NRA LIFER .. "THE CAST BULLET HANDLOADER IS THE ONLY ONE THAT REALLY MAKES ANY OF HIS AMMUNITION. OTHERS MEARLY ASSEMBLE IT". -E.H. HARRISON

----------------------
    "Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."
    Thomas Jefferson
    ------
    "Government is not a solution to our problem, government is the problem."
    -- Ronald Reagan

Boolit Grand Master

I have several different designs of plastic storage boxes for cast and lubed bullets. I spent several years (about 40) using cigar boxes. They don't last well and come in too many different sizes. They worked after a fashion but not completely satisfactory.

After trying various "Dollar Store" plastic food containers, I finally stumbled onto the ANSWER. Actually, my wife found them for me. It is after midnight so you'll have to wait until tomorrow for a picture. These will hold about 600-700 .44 or .45 bullets stacked nicely after lubing. The lid has a rubber gasket and a locking tab on each of the four sides. The bottom is nearly flat. I just layer the bullets sitting upright like little soldiers. They stack (have a ridge around the top that secures the other boxes). They are small enough to handle but will handle 15-20 lbs of bullets. I have now settled on this one design. My super market has these. Every time I or my wife went to the store we would buy several. I now have enough for probably 10,000 bullets. That should be enough. They are completely reusable and if care is taken should last for several cycles of use. They keep the bullets dust free and in good order. They are clear enough to identify the bullets but I use a label maker and label all of the boxes as to the size and type.

They cost $2.00 each...

Pictures later!
    Dale53

Boolit Master
    Kinda like this?
    They also won't come apart to spill your sandwich in a dirt bike fenderbag.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCF0095.jpg  

Boolit Grand Master

a.squibload;
    Those are similar. Here are the ones I mentioned. I did an actual bullet count and they will hold 160 .45 bullets per layer. You can get three layers of .45 ACP 200 gr swc's in the box. The dimensions are 7 3/8" x 4 1/2" x 2 3/8". The size is my favorite for general handling, etc. I also like the lid seal and the four locking tabs. The inside bottoms are nicely flat, too. The makers name is "Farberware". The cost locally in the supermarket is $2.00 each. They should last a LONG time, too. Mine have a ridge around the tops that makes stacking practical (several boxes high). The ridge mates with the bottom for keeping them lined up for stacking.

Pictures promised:

These bullets are the second layer (showing) and are the MiHec 45-270-SAA Hollow points.

Dale53

Boolit Master

My raw cast boolits go into coffee cans

Tumble lubed bullets go into various plastic type containers, just dumped in once dry

Conventionally lubed boxes get stood up on end in various boxes. I am partial to 100rd.22LR boxes for .30 cal rifle boolits. Chocolate boxes (1/2 lb size) also work well. That big cardboard one on the top left has .45 SWCs in several layers separated by thin cardboard.

In Remembrance - Super Moderator & Official Cast Boolits Sketch Artist

I like the metal cans so much I buy things for the can size more than how much is in it. I use them for newly cast boolits and also my lubed boolits. The lubed ones I stack in the cans with dividers between them you can store alot of boolits in a gal can. My favorite is commerical size tuna cans there like 1/2 gal same dia as reg gal cans but shorter which lets me get my hands in them better for stacking. BTW its not a bad way to ship them in just tape the end up real good.
    http://s244.photobucket.com/albums/g...boolits004.jpg
    http://s244.photobucket.com/albums/g...boolits008.jpg
    not sure if those pics will show up not good with doing that but those are some I sent to Ken the label was more of a chat room joke.
    Last edited by RP; 08-22-2010 at 07:21 PM. Reason: pics
    Reloading to save money I am sure the saving is going to start soon

Boolit Master
    Pics came through fine, bet those cans are heavy.

In Remembrance - Super Moderator & Official Cast Boolits Sketch Artist

those are not to heavy its the gal cans you better use two hands on and keep your fingers clear.
    Reloading to save money I am sure the saving is going to start soon

Don't forget those back to school specials!

My local WallyWorld has plastic pencil boxes 2/$1.

Cigar boxes are the best boolit containers. Getting the original product out of them is a real pleasure, and once they're empty they are free, they stack nicely, and they sure look a lot better than cheap plastic.

If you don't enjoy cigars, cheap plastic is second best.

Boolit Buddy
    I've been using the plastic boxes from the dollar store. They seem to hold up pretty well. Coffee cans are better, but I don't go through enough of them.