Thread: Analyze my target please

Boolit Master

Analyze my target please

Brand new Tanfoglio Witness 45, rested
    15yd target
    Lee TL 230gr RN, drops at .452
    Lee ALOX
    4.2gr Bullseye (mild load)

I was using a Sig 220 that slugged at 451, haven't slugged the new pistol yet (I know, I know). The 45's are on the bottom paper, right half side. The top target is my CZ 75 with 358 boolit. The Sig 220 didn't shoot very good groups either.

I just feel accuracy could be better. Before sending lead downrange, I fired four FMJ rounds at a different target and they were literally 8" apart, one almost off the paper. The gun has seen about 300 rounds now so I don't think there's any break-in to be done.

Should I ditch the TL mold and get a 'regular' mold and size to say...453? Different weight perhaps?

Boolit Master

Chris, my guess is that you shot these offhand (you didn't mention any rest). If so, and you aren't a trained and qualified pistol shot, those targets aren't surprising. So, more info, please.

How many pistol rounds have you fired in the past 5 years? 500? 5,000?

Do you shoot competatively?

Weaver, or Isosceles, or one-handed?

If rested, how?

It seems to me that the problem is the nut that holds the grips - and I mean that in the Nicest Possible Way!
    Echo
    USAF Ret
    DPS, 2600
    NRA Benefactor
    O&U
    One of the most endearing sights in the world is the vision of a naked good-looking woman leaving the bedroom to make breakfast. Bolivar Shagnasty (I believe that Lazarus Long also said it, but I can't find any record of it.)

+1 echo. The load sounds decent. hard to tell without being there, but usually the first thing to fix with most shooters loads is the shooter....it is with me too somedays, then every once in a while, watch out.

Boolit Master
    Brand new Tanfoglio Witness 45, rested
    It wasn't offhand, sitting and rested.

Make sure you are watching the sights and not watching where you think the bullet is going.

The high and low shots are from you lifting your head at the last second and "looking over the sights."

Put a paster on the paper and then concentrate on the front sight not moving off that dot. Smooth trigger pull and let it come back straight through.

Your groups will improve.
    Go ahead and run. You will only die tired

stephen perry

Chris

The top target is not bad. You need to get some targets with an aiming point. There are some target sites on the computer that you can print off of. A simple paper like you have with a 2 inch black aiming square would be fine. Focus on the aiming square not your last shot, things will get better. The bottom target for now slow down make each shot count. The flyers are obviously a flinch or two. Get control of those grips maybe drop your load a 1/2 grn your reacting to the recoil thus the flyers.

More time in will not correct your basic problems only amplify them and sour your desire to perform. Mastering your shooting technique will come if you learn to focus on why you are shooting. Not to put you off but the NRA has self help info developing your pistol shooting. Check them by an NRA pistol search. Good times ahead for you.

Stephen Perry
    Angeles BR

The following site may help you with your technique: http://www.globalsecurity.org/milita...3-35/chap2.htm

Boolit Master
    I have two EAA Witness' in 38 Super, one 40S&W and an FIE in 41AE/9mm All are decent shooters.

I have experience with five of the EAA's in 45 ACP and all were poor performers. Of course this was the first year the 45 EAA was on the market and they may have worked the bugs out of them by now.

+1 on using an aiming point. I use a two inch Targ Dot as an aiming point.
    How's that hope and change working for you?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by chris in va View Post
    Before sending lead downrange, I fired four FMJ rounds at a different target and they were literally 8" apart, one almost off the paper.

This statement is the advice disqualifier for me.

Some guns will shoot lead over top of copper, most of the ones I have / had would not. Often with disastrous results.

So trying to offer you advice now is somewhat limited. I would offer that if you are thinking about changing diameters, why not try and borrow a few bullets of the same type from someone of that diameter and see if they even will chamber.

You probably don't want to hear this, but because of the wild accuracy with copper, the bore could be larger diameter or have lower rifling height. Could be many issues here, slugging would answer some of them though.
    Reading can provide limited education because only shooting provides YOUR answers as you tie everything together for THAT gun. The better the gun, the less you have to know / do & the more flexibility you have to achieve success.

Boolit Mold

Evaluate Target

Clean the barrel. You should do a thorough cleaning when changing types of bullet. A copper build up will keep lead bullets from performing properly and visa-versa.
    I was not born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Boolit Master

I have not one, not two but three Witness pistols. All in 10mm and I consistently shoot 6" groups at 100 yards with them with stock iron sights. I've got 1911s and Xds in 45acp and they will all print five shot cloverleaf holes at 15 yards from a good rest.

Get your hands on a .22 rimfire target pistol and shoot a bunch. You will learn what to do and develop skills needed to shrink your group size after some time.

I started shooting with a Daisy BB gun at age six and was lighting kitchen matches at ten yards before my dad allowed me to have a real firearm.

Don't let those large groups discourage you. We all had to learn this skill somewhere at sometime.

Boolit Grand Master

Quite frankly at 15 yards with standard semi autos I've never been able to tell any difference in accuracy from shooting lead after copper, visa versa or even mixing them. Mike Venturino did an excellent article on that issue and I agree. Unless you are shooting for under moa at 100+ yards with a rifle capable of knowing the difference there isn't going to be any difference. The only caveat is if either the lead or the J bullets are causing substantial fouling. Even then I doubt you'ld notice much difference at 15 yards.

The problem has already been addressed by a couple posters; it appears you are anticipating the shot and are focusing on the target as you pull the triger and you do not have a distinct aiming point. As mentioned focus on the front sight all the way through the shot into the "follow through", call the shot and then look for the bullet hole. Also put a 1" black paster or dot or even better a 1" thick inverted "T" as an aiming point. Your groups should improve using those fundementals of marksmanship but remember that next to a smooth trigger pull focusing on the tip of the front sight is most important for good shooting. If you are then shooting well and you get vertical stringing it is because the load is too mild for the heavy bullet and the pistol is unlocking inconsistently. If so increase the charge of Bullseye to 5 gr. If you want a milder recoiling load then go to a lighter bullet.

Larry Gibson

Banned

If you can barely hit the paper with jacketed boolits, it ain't the cast boolit's fault they won't group.

Take the above advice and work on your shooting technique, particularly sight picture, trigger squeeze, and FIRM GRIP. Consistent, firm grip and trigger squeeze are everything when shooting an auto. You need to be in shape, have strong or at least toned arms and wrists or you won't be able to hold the gun well, even from a rest. A rest is only to steady, not to support. It's your hands that support the gun through the initial recoil until the boolit exits the muzzle, and you'll fling shots all over the place even with a perfect sight picture at trigger break if you don't STILL have a good sight picture when the boolit actually clears the gun. You have to hold that gun hard all the way through recoil, and that takes practice using the correct techniques.

Gear

Boolit Master

You aren't holding your weapon like this are ya?

Good, Cheap, Fast: Pick two.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Moderator Emeritus

The 6 most important words in pistol shooting are, "Front Sight, Front Sight, Front Sight". If you're not looking at the front sight, you're looking at the target, which means you're moving the sights out of the way so you can see the target better.

I've got about a dozen Witnesses in every caliber they offer, plus 5 calibers they don't offer (9x21, 9x23, 9x25, 357 Sig and .41 AE). Several of those are in .45 acp, and every one of them is a shooter. They will put cast, plated or jacketed bullets into one hole clusters at 15 yards from a sandbag rest, as long as I do my part.

I would suggest having someone you know to be an excellent shooter try the pistol and see what they do with it.

Hope this helps.

Fred

Boolit Master

I would suggest having someone you know to be an excellent shooter try the pistol and see what they do with it.
    If you can barely hit the paper with jacketed boo lits, it ain't the cast Beloit's fault they won't group.

Take the above advice and work on your shooting technique, particularly sight picture, trigger squeeze, and FIRM GRIP. Consistent, firm grip and trigger squeeze are everything when shooting an auto. You need to be in shape, have strong or at least toned arms and wrists or you won't be able to hold the gun well, even from a rest. A rest is only to steady, not to support. It's your hands that support the gun through the initial recoil until the boo lit exits the muzzle, and you'll fling shots all over the place even with a perfect sight picture at trigger break if you don't STILL have a good sight picture when the boo lit actually clears the gun. You have to hold that gun hard all the way through recoil, and that takes practice using the correct techniques.
    The problem has already been addressed by a couple posters; it appears you are anticipating the shot and are focusing on the target as you pull the trigger and you do not have a distinct aiming point. As mentioned focus on the front sight all the way through the shot into the "follow through", call the shot and then look for the bullet hole. Also put a 1" black paster or dot or even better a 1" thick inverted "T" as an aiming point. Your groups should improve using those fundamentals of marksmanship but remember that next to a smooth trigger pull focusing on the tip of the front sight is most important for good shooting. If you are then shooting well and you get vertical stringing it is because the load is too mild for the heavy bullet and the pistol is unlocking inconsistently. If so increase the charge of Bullseye to 5 gr. If you want a milder recoiling load then go to a lighter bullet.

Please re read the quotes above.
    I shoot the Lyman 225 LRN with 4.3 of B/E or 4.3 of tite group all day long and it functions
    2/ 1911's just fine. using 16# springs.
    I use the same B/E load for a 200 grain #68 SWC. Again --no problems.
    They will cut a smaller than golf ball hole at 25 yards, over and over again.
    It's a nice mild load for target and wont beet up your pistol.
    You need to practice a lot more using the PROPER shooting skills. From a rest and free hand/be it one or two hand. If you don't know what they are you need to learn them and practice them.
    Shooting a hand gun is not something you just do, it takes quite a lot of work.
    Difficult but not impossible. You can shoot another 5,000 rounds and if you don't correct what you are doing your shooting is not going to look any better.
    at 15 yards form a rest, I am not impressed with your targets. I know you can do better.
    Standing at the same distance and under pressure I don't believe you could do
    what I call combat accurate.
    You can't test a bullet or a load, or even a pistol till you can shoot a little better than what you are doing. The pistol is shooting you--you need to shoot the pistol.
    Shoot into the target and not at it.
    Hate is like drinking poison and hoping the other man dies.

*Cohesiveness* *Leadership* *a common cause***

***In a gunfight your expected to be an active participant in your own rescue***

The effective range of an excuse is ZERO Meters

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    Ok I'm going to plead guilty to apples and oranges now . My examples are 357s a S&W,a Taurus,a RBH,and a Sec.6. Now the BlackHawk and the S&W don't seem to care what goes down the bore , 50yrd groups were often. Less than 8" off handed box after box. The Sec6 has been a challenge but at last the other 5 holes shoot to the flyer. Now that Taurus was special case 1100fps or less it would shoot it all from 85gns to 200. Up to 100gns could be driven as hard as you like and give 4" 25 yrd groups and 6" at 50. When you went over 1100fps wit 110+s went wild , I had a BlueDot load not 1 of 18 hit an 8.5x11at 25yrds.

I guess my point is that it maybe the bullet wt and not the operater in this case or maybe its just a no shooting pistol I've seen that once or twice.

I'd say clean it thoroly ,bushings,bbl,slide,etc. Then try it again . I'd do it as if I were working up a new load in little steps from the minimum and go up ,you may find the load anywhere along the way or you may find that it just doesn't like that bullet or powder.

Its aleinating to people when you more or less tell them to learn how to shoot then try it again . I'm just saying is all..
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Boolit Master
    Guys, seriously...I know how to shoot off a rest. Believe me it's not an issue with my 'shooting skills'.

I'm asking what can be done about the inaccuracy issues, whether it's the boolit size, type or weight. Hopefully it's not a gun issue. My 9mm had the same problem, turned out to be a boolit fit issue and resolved by sizing .003 over slug.

If it makes everyone at ease I will re-test using a regular target or aiming point and only shoot lead boolits instead of starting with a baseline using FMJ. I'll even fire at 7 yards if necessary.

Its aleinating to people when you more or less tell them to learn how to shoot then try it again
    Thank you, my thoughts exactly.

I dont know about the targets...All I see are a couple of naked girls...

Boolit Master

Chris, I'm not as good of a shot as some of these other guys are and, in fact, I happen to be blessed with a good friend that can out shoot me and most the people that I've seen shoot. When I really want to try out a new gun or a completely new load, i.e., new mould, I invite him to the range with me. We'll meet there and invariably his groups, with my gun and my boolits, are half the size of mine.
    His constant advice is: Front sight, front sight, trigger, trigger front sight. The idea is to concentrate on that sight but never jerk the trigger.
    I have shot a couple of 25 yard groups with my .45 commander model 1.5". I am guilty of looking up to see where the previous shot went and that is what opens up my groups every time. I think that I must have ADD. Usually, my first group (I consider a group of a cylinder full, not 5 shots) will be the best of the day with a particular gun. If I shoot fifty rounds or 500 rounds, the first will end up being the one that follows me home.

EW