WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRepackbox
Load DataLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 357mag lever gun

Boolit Buddy
    I have a 4 cav noe 180 and a veral smith 4 cav 200wfn now to find the 357 lever gun. talked with Sam guns and high country elk and sports mans in Twin falls and Idaho falls and Ross in Idaho falls doc in Pocatello. I will find a older Rossi or a marlin cb soon.
    Kirb

I like my Rossi 92 in .357 - sweet gun. I have Marlin in 44 mag and it's a keeper as well but I like the lighter weight in 357 of the rossi design (JMB really as it's a copy of the Win '92).

I'm happy with my Winchester 94 Trapper in .357.
    Cliff
    FPD, NRA Lifer, USN retired

Boolit Buddy
    New to the site. Got a first year production 1894C and a 1999 1894CBL with 24" octogon barrel
    and some real pretty wood. Put a cresent butt stock on my 1894C due to a fall when deer hunting
    and messing up the original butt stock. My 1894C would not feed anyting either when I bought it new. Sent it back to Marlin and they fixed it really great. Shoot cast out of both of them. They both do great with cast. Put a lyman 66LA on the 1894CBL and a 2.5x scope on the 1894C. I love
    them both a lot.
    358 Win

I have a 1894 in 357 with the micro groove barrel that I bought new in 1979. It has been my favorite rifle from the time I bought it. I've been loading my own ammo to run through it for years........ I think what I load is called J words here. I've never just shot it for groups, sighted her in and went hunting, but it must be pretty accurate, because what I point it at usually goes on the table or in the freezer. Lately I've been buying cast bullets to load for it and it seems to be doing alright with them also. That is what I'm doing here. Can't wait to get started casting my own boolits to load. I have a Lee 358-158-RF on the way, and I've seen some good reviews on here using that mould, so wish me luck.

Boolit Grand Master
    lever-man

Yep, it is a great little gun. If you are starting with cast, do not forget to bell the case mouth so you do not shave the bullet when seating. Slug your barrel and size to .001-.002 over bore dia.

Don Verna

Boolit Bub
    I'll throw another vote in for the Winchester 94 .357 trapper. Had mine for years and shoots cast great. I've also launched 158 JSP's at over 2000fps using Lil' Gun.

Boolit Grand Master

My 1894C comes everywhere with me. It recently spent a week in my hands while hunting.

I've had a Skinner sight on it from the beginning but I recently changed the dovetail blank to one that holds on extra aperture. I have a habit of losing them somehow.

It has ballard rifling and shoots everything well that it feeds. It will not feed RF style bullets. And like any 1894 you are limited in OAL which limits your bullet selection. But by limit I mean very few. Mine gets fed a steady diet of MP 359640s for hunting and MP 359125s for plinking. It also shoots MP 360640s well as well as 358359 HBWCs if I load them individually. Can't wait to cast w/ the MP 358156 that I recently received. That one will most likely become it's preferred bullet.

I've got a safe full of Marlins and love'em all but my two favorites are probably the 1894P in 44 Mag and the 1894CB LTD in 357/38.

FWIW here is the pic of the CB LTD. I think I paid roughly $750 for it around 2008 or so ... been offered $1,200.00+ for it several times since. The picture does not do the furniture justice.

What you think about you do ... what you do, you become.

Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    lever-man

Yep, it is a great little gun. If you are starting with cast, do not forget to bell the case mouth so you do not shave the bullet when seating. Slug your barrel and size to .001-.002 over bore dia.

Don Verna
    Thanks for the advice. I just didn't realize how different cast boolits are........ I have ordered a Lyman 4500. Now to get up enough courage to slug the barrels of the two guns that I plan on shooting cast boolits in........ The one that we are talking about here and a Marlin 336 in 30-30. My projects are not moving along a fast as I would like due to working for a living and the Holidays!