RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyLoad DataRepackbox
Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionWidenersInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Anyone magnaport a 4" Redhawk?

Anyone magnaport a 4" Redhawk?

I'm thinking about doing it to my 45 Colt 4" Redhawk. The heavy 355gr 1150fps bear loads snap pretty good. I had a rifle magnaported and it made a huge difference in muzzle flip, which is why I had it done. Any first hand experience with 44mag or 45 Colt 4" Redhawks and magnaport?

I wouldn't want to shoot a magnaported pistol with out hearing protection.
    I don't think the bear will give you time to put on ear muffs.

Boolit Man
    I would like to port my 44mag 4" Redhawk. I'll have to follow this thread.

AJ
    Beat profusely with hammer until functional.

Boolit Bub
    I have a Rehawk that is an earlier gun with the barrel cut down to 4" and I have a Dan Wesson with 4" and 8" barrels. I would not want either of those guns magnaported.

The sound defeats hearing protection. You will ruin your hearing a lot faster with a ported gun.

I don't really see the use for it in any case. I have shot ported guns and the tiny little bit of recoil reduction is not worth it.

I'm not talkiing about a muzzle brake or typical porting where they drill holes in the barrel. i'm talking about mag-na-port, trapezoidal slots made with Electrical Discharge Maching. Only Mag-na-port does mag-na-porting, they've done it since the early 70's. http://www.magnaport.com/index.html The purpose of Mag-na-port is to reduce muzzle flip, not recoil reduction although it does help some. They claim 15% and no noise increase. I'd say that's about right, at least with regard to my rifle. It is not any louder, at least not noticeable and it took away 90% of the muzzle flip of my nice light 325wsm Kimber. Have any of you guys that posted ever shot a 4" Redhawk that has been mag-na-ported??

Last edited by Snyd; 07-15-2010 at 02:18 PM.

Cast Boolits Founder/B.O.B.

Well,, not magnaported and not a 45Colt exactly,, but I did send off a SRH 454 to have a brake EDM'ed into the barrel.

louder yes,, less recoil than I thought possible with that gun/cartridge too.
    Boolits= as God laid it into the soil,,grand old Galena,the Silver Stream graciously hand poured into molds for our consumption.

Bullets= Machine made utilizing Full Length Gas Checks as to provide projectiles for the masses.

http://www.cafepress.com/castboolits

castboolits@gmail.com

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Snyd View Post
    They claim 15% and no noise increase. I'd say that's about right, at least with regard to my rifle. It is not any louder, at least not noticeable and it took away 90% of the muzzle flip of my nice light 325wsm Kimber. Have any of you guys that posted ever shot a 4" Redhawk that has been mag-na-ported??

There is no way that you port a barrel without it getting louder, despite what magna port says. With all due respect load your 355 gr bullet to 1050 fps and you will reduce the muzzle flip more than any porting will ever do and the bear will never know the difference!
    "Masculine republics give way to feminine democracies, and feminine democracies give way to tyrannies.” Aristotle

My Super Redhawk must be different than the ones you all have because the recoil isnt too bad even with full house loads. It is an un-ported 7 1/2" barrel. My buddy's 110 pound girlfriend was shooting it one handed and didn't have any problems.
    If grasshoppers carried .45's the birds wouldnt mess with them.

Cast Boolits Owner

Quote Originally Posted by hoosierlogger View Post
    My buddy's 110 pound girlfriend was shooting it one handed and didn't have any problems.
    What he is not going to tell us is she has arms like Popeye
    "The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion."
    - Albert Camus -

My Super Redhawk must be different than the ones you all have because the recoil isnt too bad even with full house loads. It is an un-ported 7 1/2" barrel. My buddy's 110 pound girlfriend was shooting it one handed and didn't have any problems.
    What loads are you/she shooting? There is a huge difference between say 255gr and 8gr Unique and my full house load 355gr w/21.5 gr H110.

It's not that recoil is that big of a deal. It's just that a short barreled revolver has quite a bit of muzzle flip. Hence my post here trying to find out if anyone has any first hand experience with a 4" Redhawk, hot loads and magnaport. Not a 7.5 Super Redhawk or anything else with other types of porting. I shoot the same loads in my SBH Bisley Hunter with no porting and it's a lot different. I have no intention of doing anything to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Snyd View Post
    What loads are you/she shooting? There is a huge difference between say 255gr and 8gr Unique and my full house load 355gr w/21.5 gr H110.

It's not that recoil is that big of a deal. It's just that a short barreled revolver has quite a bit of muzzle flip. Hence my post here trying to find out if anyone has any first hand experience with a 4" Redhawk, hot loads and magnaport. Not a 7.5 Super Redhawk or anything else with other types of porting. I shoot the same loads in my SBH Bisley Hunter with no porting and it's a lot different. I have no intention of doing anything to it.
    They are 240 grainers with 20.4 grains of 2400. I guess I didnt realize how much difference 3 1/2 inches of barrel would make.
    If grasshoppers carried .45's the birds wouldnt mess with them.

Boolit Master

They are 240 grainers with 20.4 grains of 2400. I guess I didnt realize how much difference 3 1/2 inches of barrel would make.
    It's not the 3 inches of barrel, it's the additional 100 grains of bullet weight at about the same velocity as your 240 gr. Free recoil energy for the 335 is approx 25 ft lbs, for the 240 gr it is approx 14 ft lbs. Quite a difference! That was why I recommended that he reduce his velocity by 100 fps. That would cut his recoil by about 15%, which is more than what porting would do.
    "Masculine republics give way to feminine democracies, and feminine democracies give way to tyrannies.” Aristotle

Ya, I could reduce the load. But, when I worked it up the groups got tighter when I got it to where it is. It's about 1200fps in my SBH with 7.5 inch barrel and i get 1.5 inch 6 shot group at 50 yds. I like being able to shoot the same load in both guns. Anyway, thanks for all the input guys.

Groo here
    I have a number of revolvers with MGP ports .. [357-sp101 to 7 1/2 FA 454]
    As far as noise there will not be much of any difference as all revolvers have a
    gap between the barrel and the cylinder and that is much closer to the shooter than the
    end of the barrel.
    It will help the rotation of the gun [ are you getting hit hard in the web of the hand?]
    but will not change the back kick.
    That requires a break with an expansion chamber like the SSK's..
    but most breaks will pack up with lead and are a jacket only idea..

Boolit Master
    I have a 44 Mag (7.5 ") and am well aware what it sounds like and the level of that sound, not bad at all really. However I have shot a 44 Mag with a 7.5" Mag-Na-Ported barrel and it was a lot louder in my opinion. I totally changed my mind about having it done.
    Now if I was contemplating the purchase of a 475 up, I would probably give it some thought. Just be aware that if you go to a public shooting range they might not be to friendly towards you after a firing session, LOLAL.

PS. Forgot, I also don't like the high pitched crack of a "hot loaded" .357 Mag either, but thats just me.

The load you are using seems a little too hot for a 355gr. boolit. I shoot a 255gr. at 1200fps out of my Blackhawk and it's a handfull. I know the Redhawks are built heavy because I had 2 of them but with that 355gr. might take a toll on it.

Boolit Master

i have 5 pistols magnaported, plus one with ssk muzzel break and 3 more with compensaters
    lighter bullets and more powder makes them more efficent so when useing heavy bullets and less powder they will be less efficent

Quote Originally Posted by Groo View Post
    ...It will help the rotation of the gun [ are you getting hit hard in the web of the hand?] but will not change the back kick. That requires a break with an expansion chamber like the SSK's. but most breaks will pack up with lead and are a jacket only idea..
    Ya, the "tourqueyness" is that a word? Magnaporting my light rifle took care of that. The recoil back to the hand is no biggie. It's the twisting/muzzleflip that I am thinking of. But, I was at the range yesterday and can keep it just the way it is but I know how much difference it made on my rifle.

pistolman44. My load is essentially a Hodgdon Ruger Only max load. 360gr cast performace boolit with 21.0gr H110 is what I used to load. I now cast my own 355ers and at 21.5 they crony the same speed as the 360gr load. That's about 28300 cup according to Hodgdon data. Well within the limits of a Blackhawk or Redhawk cylinder. 350gr over H110 at 1100-1200fps is a pretty standard heavy, Ruger/FA/BFR only 45 colt load.