WidenersLoad DataSnyders JerkyLee Precision
RotoMetals2Inline FabricationReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Repackbox MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: high speed

Boolit Master

high speed

I occasionally film for a local based hunting show called struttinbucks. www.struttinbucks.com
    anywho, they just bought a high speed camera, so i am trying to get the time of the owner so we can film a few cast boolits exiting the muzzle in ultra slow mo, so i can better see what is happening upon exit. if there is enough intrest i will see what i can do to get it posted on here.

Boolit Master in Heaven's Range
    Great idea! Maybe some of the questions regarding bullet lube and gas checks can be answered.

Regards,

Stew
    Sig file change:
    "Obi Wan Baloney"
    VOTE 2012! Throw them out! Every last one of them! (Feel free to add this to your sig. Spread the word!)

"...Get a rope." Pace Picante Sauce commercial, ca. 1984

"I (did, on several occasions) swear to support and defend the Constitution of the United States, against ALL enemies, foreign AND domestic, and to bear true faith and allegiance to the same." And when I left, they never asked me to recant.

Boolit Master in Heaven's Range 257 Shooter's Avatar
    That would be great. Rile and Pistol boolits please.
    In God WE Trust!
    NRA Life Member
    "I'll keep my guns, my money and my freedom, you can keep the change!"

Boolit Master

Way to go! Looking forward to it...
    Echo
    USAF Ret
    DPS, 2600
    NRA Benefactor
    O&U
    One of the most endearing sights in the world is the vision of a naked good-looking woman leaving the bedroom to make breakfast. Bolivar Shagnasty (I believe that Lazarus Long also said it, but I can't find any record of it.)

Moderator Emeritus

By all means. I'd love to have the videos to post on castpics.
    Reloading Data Project - (in retirement)
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/reloadersrfrnce/

Banned

YES! I think either pistol or rifle with plain-based boolits and conventional lube would be just the ticket and put a lot of nagging questions to rest.

I'll volunteer some lubed boolits for the test if I have any suitable, I'd love to compare "hard" and "soft" lubes and velocities, see what happens upon muzzle exit. Also, a damaged-base test vs. perfect base would be useful, to see if the boolit tips upon exit with an uneven pressure blast. And another thing that would show up with just about anything where obturation didn't quite occur is how much lube/gas blows out before the boolit exits.

Gear

Wink

Yes geargnasher !
    It's just what I was thinking about §

Boolit Master

gear, that was one of my main goals in trying this. i plan on trying different lubes, alloys, quenching methods, gc vs no gc, and effects on the boolit or lack therof with a muzzle break/ sound suppressor. ill be on it as soon as the camera owner gets a chance to help me out.

Boolit Master
    On the super slo-no videos that I have seen , the fire and smoke come out before the bullets do. Now I would really like to know if our cast , properly fitted and lubed boolits actually seal the bore and lock in the gasses.
    I know that with lead boolits my 9mm shoots harder and faster with less powder than what is does with the J bullets.
    I always wondered if it was bore friction or gas sealing that was the main contributer.
    Sent from my PC with a keyboard and camera on it with internet too.
    Melting Stuff is FUN!
    Shooting stuff is even funner

L W Knight

Boolit Master
    geargnasher:
    An article was done years ago on deformed boolit shooting.

Written by Wayne Blackwelland titled: How Defects in Cast Bullets Affect Accuracy.

It is an intersting read and covers three boolits: the RCBS 38 150 SWC which has always been my go to boolit for the 357, the Lyman 429421 and the Lachmiller 311-175-FN.

Pistol groups were fired at 25 yards 30-30 were fired at 100.

I don't know when the article was originally printed but I found it in: The Art of Bullet Casting first issue reprints from Handloader& Rifle magazines 1966 to 1981.

I think you can get all four issues of this on DVD, I have one, but I'm not sure. Perhaps someone on the board might have a spare copy to sell or loan??

Banned

That sounds great and maybe you can get movies of the hammers on revolvers too and what they do at firing.

Boolit Master on Heaven's Range
    I'll be watching this thread for sure!
    "HMMMM.........It wasn't spos'ta do THAT!"

Boolit Master

Well, so far we havent had a lot of success. we have caught mainly blurrs, nothing anywhere near good enough to provide solid evidence. the equipment is new, so hopefully with practice we can get some good footage and stills. Ill keep on it, i really want this project to work, im anxious to get some results.

Boolit Master
    Casio now makes a pocket 10 megapixel camera that shoots video in slow mo (1000 frames per second) and only $269.00 I may have to get one. EX-FH100

Boolit Buddy

What's the camera's frame rate? I looked at Kurzzeit and had the impression that at least 250,000 frames/second was necessary to really study what happened at the muzzle.

Boolit Master

1500 i believe, but i know nothing about cameras, ill try to find out from the camera guys, im going to try stills on some of my wifes equipment next

Boolit Master
    there is video on youtube @ 1,000,000 Frames Per Second Now that is slow. Also some @ 5000 FPS and the bullet is a blur.

I found some video of pistol being fired @ 1000FPS and it was a blur.
    Last edited by NSP64; 07-11-2010 at 08:24 PM. Reason: update

Boolit Master

Wow much harder than I thought. So far all we have managed to capture is a blurr, surrounded by a lighter blurr. I guess I need to find a camera capable of more frames per second. Im stuck in the challenge now, due to my stubborness. Any suggestions?

The guys at Mythbusters managed to photograph bullets, so the equipment to do it is out there & available. Unfortunately, I don't know what equipment it is.

If I were you, I'd start with slow moving calibers, like .45ACP & see what you can get with the equipment that you have. Then I'd start looking around to rent a faster camera.

I wonder if B&H rent's high speed cameras? They used to rent out some pretty high end stuff when I lived back east. Even if they don't have it, they might know does. The guys there pride themselves on product knowledge. Just don't call them on a Saturday. They absolutely, positively, refuse to do anything for anyone on a Saturday.
    “an armed society is a polite society.”
    Robert A. Heinlein

"Idque apud imperitos humanitas vocabatur, cum pars servitutis esset."
    Publius Tacitus

Boolit Buddy

Check kurzzeit.com They have systems available.