Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingInline Fabrication
WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataLee Precision
Repackbox
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bad day in the valley of death.

Boolit Master

I am afraid to go of doors at all. The temps are running around 105 to 111 here in Vegas and my shooting days are nil until it gets a mite cooler. I have confined myslelf to staying inside except to take Sgt. Rambo for a walk and then I retreat into the pool and stay in shade.

Ingest a lot of water and other adult beverages to keep cool. No ambition at all.

Somewhat concerned about a bad report card from my recent visit with my Doctor. I had a bed case of bronchtitis combined with my Asthma and COPD I was having a really tough time. They cleaned up the infections but now I am on oxygen while I sleep. Arthritis in neck and right should and edema in right ankle due to broken leg two years ago have slowed me down.

Now they tell me I have a Aeortic aneyurism and a partial blockage of both my Cartoid arteries. Either of those babies could knock me off really easy.

It is like walking around with a time bomb inside my gut and in my neck. Makes you think about your mortality really being just day by day.

Going back to the doctor on Friday and she will be sending me to a cardiologist for further testing but I can forsee some surgery in my future. More medications to thin out my blood and other nasty stuff to keep this old carcass alive and moving.

Time to rewrite my Last Will and Testament and decide who will be gifted with my shooting irons and such if I bite the bullet.

I am not afraid to die but I don't wanna go just yet . I still have some many loads to develop and guns to get to their maximum level of accuracy.

But the good news is that it is so hot and dry around here that we do not have gnats nor mosquitoes to bedevil us. Flys yes but even they need some moisture to survive and there ain't much when the wind is blowing at 30 MPH and the temps are 110 degrees. My dog has no fleas and heartworms are not a problem here due to the fact that the insects to transmit the disease cannot survive here.

It is a desert.
    Pax Nobiscum Dan (Crash) Corrigan

Currently casting, reloading and shooting: 223 Rem, 6.5x55 Sweede, 30 Carbine, 30-06 Springfield, 30-30 WCF, 303 Brit., 7.62x39, 7.92x57 Mauser, .32 Long, 32 H&R Mag, 327 Fed Mag, 380 ACP. 9x19, 38 Spcl, 357 Mag, 38-55 Win, 41 Mag, 44 Spcl., 44 Mag, 45 Colt, 45 ACP, 454 Casull, 457 RB for ROA and 50-90 Sharps. Shooting .22 LR & 12 Gauge seldom and buying ammo for same.

Banned

Crash, that is so sad to hear. I will pray for you every day and hope everyone here joins in. Don't you dare leave us.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by JSH View Post
    dunno if it works, but a group of guys were talking about gnats the other day.
    it has to be REAL vanilla. daub that on your ears and forehead, they said it keeps them away
    jeff
    I tried vanilla today and it did seem to work. I was working on my old pickup and I was not bothered near as much.

Boolit Master

****** Crash, teach that doctor a lesson and out live her. You be sure to stay in touch here and if there is anything that I can do, just holler. I do enjoy your contributions to this forum and look forward to your every post.

EW

P.S. I don't apologize to the OP for straying of topic.

Boolit Master

Hello there....I was on topic in my last paragraph right? It applied to the weather and the local insects and such right? I dealt with it...it just took me a while to get there.

Whatz an OP?

Hey I have a captive audience here. If I decide to out into left field after I touch on a subject..........Now what wuz he talkin about?

Hey it's been 109 here today. I went out early in my venerable F-150 and picked up some more Rx stuff from the local CVS. Then I moped up to my gunnie and picked up my newest fling.

A VZ 24 Based 8 MM Mauser with a sporter stock and a decent set of mounts for a scope on it. I found it on Auction Arms and spend a whole $205.01 for it. It arrived yesterday afternoon. However as I was ensconced in my AC trailer I was not about to go out and drive anywhere unless it was an emergency.

Running out of beer is an emergency but I have another half a case on the floor next to the fridge. Getting back to the gun. Real nice......somebody did a nice paint job on the metal parts and the stock is in excellent condition...the trigger...........well it is a trigger. Horrible 2 stage yanker that merits instant replacement.

I have already ordered a Huber trigger from Huberconcepts.com and the spending of another $90 to bring my grand investment into the gun up to $390. The shipping on the gun was $25. Gunnie nailed me with $50 for the transfer, another $25 for the mandatory call to NCIC and another $16 and change in sales tax based on the selling price of $205.01.

When I get done I will have a decent lead slinger for all those 8 MM cases and boolits I have and a reason to use my group buy Lee mold in that .324 dia. I could not see all that good stuff going to waste and taking up space. The .223 is kinda lite for a hunting rifle and the 6.5 is almost too pretty to take out into the wilds so the 8 MM will have a function.

In bolt guns I go from .22 LR, .223 Remington, 6.5 MM Sweede and now another 7.92 x 57 MM rifle. The previous 8 MM is now the 6.5 MM Sweede. I also have a model 94 in thurty thurty and a Garand in 30-06.

That is about as much fun as I want in a rifle. My buddy Blake has a 505 Gibbs Custom rifle built on a 1917 Enfield action and it is a beauty. I fired it once.

Yup ONCE! Other than in a fight or a car accident I do not want to feel that kind of punishment to my body ever again. That rifle is brutal. It throws a 50 calibre, 525 gr condom boolit at over 2,400 FPS to what purpose? There ain't no Water Buffaloes, Elephants or Rhinos a ranging around here in Nevada.

Yes he has a Water Buffalo and a very nice pair of Elk heads mounted on his walls. But he went to Africa to get the Buffalo and way North to colder and hillier areas to find the Elk. He also has a brace of Smith 500 Magnums which he loves to shoot. He apparently likes to abuse his body with recoil. I fired his 500 Magnum a few times. It is nice with a 300 gr round loafing along at 1200 fps but HOLD ON NELLIE! when he loads that thing with the Hammers of Thor rounds that he had me try one time. It was not fun at all. Those long flat nosed hard cast slugs were over 400 plus grains and only Blake knows what powder and such are under them.

Again nice but to what purpose? To each his own and if he likes it then who am I to criticize him for his hobbies? They shur do look pretty at night with all that flame and such bouncing offa the rocks and the clouds etc.
    Pax Nobiscum Dan (Crash) Corrigan

Currently casting, reloading and shooting: 223 Rem, 6.5x55 Sweede, 30 Carbine, 30-06 Springfield, 30-30 WCF, 303 Brit., 7.62x39, 7.92x57 Mauser, .32 Long, 32 H&R Mag, 327 Fed Mag, 380 ACP. 9x19, 38 Spcl, 357 Mag, 38-55 Win, 41 Mag, 44 Spcl., 44 Mag, 45 Colt, 45 ACP, 454 Casull, 457 RB for ROA and 50-90 Sharps. Shooting .22 LR & 12 Gauge seldom and buying ammo for same.

Boolit Master
    HI,
    I'll go camping w/ friends & family, I'll eat a garlic clove, a day, lots of onions, wild ones are the best ( the stronger the better), & take a vit. b pill a day. the others get sucked dry, bit, etc. but bugs mostly leave me alone.
    Just lucky I guess.
    It is good Elephant & Yettie repellent to..... never had 1 walk into camp in sixty years.

Boolit Buddy

Bad Day?

Quote Originally Posted by 44man View Post
    The day started normal, put the garage dogs in the fenced part of the yard, take my other two for a walk, then clean the pen and yard with a shovel and bucket. Gnats and spider webs drove me nuts.
    Then down in the basement at this stupid computer with my coffee! I had a mold ready to cut so I finished it and cast some for testing. I figured time to see if my knuckle could take some shooting. I grabbed a revolver and found I had few rounds and the gun was clean, oh well, dirty it. I threw everything in my little utility wagon and drove down to my range, "valley of death."
    WEEDS! By the time I had a target up and weeds out of the way I was sweating with a billion gnats around my face. No breeze at all and 90*, hot and humid.
    Shooting did not hurt my knuckle but every time I was taking a sight picture my glasses would fog. I managed a 1" group once but that was the end. Then a gnat flew under my glasses, right into my eye. I could not get it out so I quit.
    I figured I better cut the range so I got a weed whip and the old mower out. No gas! Had to go to town and get the cans filled and top off my 4 runner, $51. Made sure I got a bottle on the trip.
    Tires must be low, with the deck high I was cutting rocks and sticks. I got the range in shape, not checking tires or blades in the heat so I put it all away.
    Put cases in the tumbler and found a few boolits left I can load but said the heck with it, took the little dogs for a ride in the utility wagon, ate and watched Fox news. Spent hours with eye drops trying to get the gnat out. Look in the mirror with glasses on and can't do anything. Take them off and can't tell if I am looking at me or some animal with blood shot eyes. I think I seen a black spot once but after mashing it around I have no idea where it went.
    A few drinks later and I fell asleep on the couch until my little dog jumped on my chest to go out, sitting there looking in my face asking if I was alive enough to move. OK, OK, everyone out. Got a shower and went to bed.
    Wife did not sleep good with a locomotive next to her.
    But here I am this morning at this stupid machine again, my little dog sleeping under my seat after a few goodies.
    Grass needs cut and tires on mowers all need checked first. Need to make alloy, cast and load something to shoot. Going to be 95* today.
    Heck, I might just start drinking early and forget it all!

So you:
    Got a little work done, mostly related to your fun.
    Had good 4 legged company all day.
    Shot pretty good.
    Found out your health(knuckle) was improving.
    Rode into town.
    Had a drink.
    and slept soundly.

That's a bad day?
    "You need only reflect that one of the best ways
    to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the great struggle for independence."
    - Charles Austin Beard (1874-1948)

"The most effective way to find ourselves enslaved
    will not be done openly. If weakened we will sink gradually. I ask, who are the militia? They consist of the whole people,.... except a few public officers."
    - Thomas Jefferson

Banned

This is my baby.
    Last edited by 44man; 07-11-2010 at 02:50 PM.

Boolit Master

By the time I had a target up and weeds out of the way I was sweating with a billion gnats around my face. No breeze at all and 90*, hot and humid.
    Shooting did not hurt my knuckle but every time I was taking a sight picture my glasses would fog.
    Just tell yourself you're in training for shooting in Florida. What you describe is every shooting trip I make between say, April and October, except that it's hotter here. If you're not soaked in sweat, partly dehydrated, covered with black powder residue and boolit lube, you're just not having any fun. If you do this long enough, you'll learn to wait to see the sights and target through the partial fog and sweat running inside your glasses.

Fortunately I shoot on a covered range, so sunburn and monsoon rain are not a big threat. Either the BP smoke keeps the bugs away or I'm too dehydrated to notice them.
    Most people would sooner die than think, in fact, they do so. -B. Russell

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Geraldo View Post
    Just tell yourself you're in training for shooting in Florida. What you describe is every shooting trip I make between say, April and October, except that it's hotter here. If you're not soaked in sweat, partly dehydrated, covered with black powder residue and boolit lube, you're just not having any fun. If you do this long enough, you'll learn to wait to see the sights and target through the partial fog and sweat running inside your glasses.

Fortunately I shoot on a covered range, so sunburn and monsoon rain are not a big threat. Either the BP smoke keeps the bugs away or I'm too dehydrated to notice them.
    Remember, I was born in Ohio! Heat and me never went together.
    Now figure this out, Why is it when I put muffs on, my glasses fog. I always figured it was I could no longer breath through the empty space between my ears!

Same here in NM. No bugs, only a few spiders and lizards eating the few bugs they can find. Haven't had a mosquito bite in 2 or 3 years.

Boolit Master
    This is my baby.

Hey what's that? Part of your bug problem?

Quote Originally Posted by Whitworth View Post
    Hey what's that? Part of your bug problem?

See. I was convinced he had a bull dog for many years......you know the saying about owners and pets starting to look alike after a while...

Boolit Master

Remember, I was born in Ohio!
    You say that like you're proud of it

Well, don't feel bad, so was I, but with help you can overcome that as well.
    Most people would sooner die than think, in fact, they do so. -B. Russell

Boolit Master
    HI,
    Now using vanilla may help with the bugs, don't know as I never tried it.
    BUT IT MAY CAUSE A BEAR PROBLEM, IFIRC vanilla attract bears.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Geraldo View Post
    You say that like you're proud of it

Well, don't feel bad, so was I, but with help you can overcome that as well.
    Yep, never had a problem finding farms and public areas to hunt and shoot on anywhere in the state. Had 5 clubs to shoot IHMSA at within driving distance.
    Had good neighbors all up and down any road I lived on.
    Had pheasant, rabbits, squirrels, grouse, chucks and deer.
    But things have changed where I lived, I won't go back. All the fields and trees are gone, miles of shopping centers and all the roads are shot.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by cptinjeff View Post
    See. I was convinced he had a bull dog for many years......you know the saying about owners and pets starting to look alike after a while...
    Now that was funny, LOL.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Changeling View Post
    Now that was funny, LOL.
    I might be LIKE a bulldog but I can honestly say I don't look like my little girl.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance Four Fingers of Death's Avatar
    Welllllllllllllllllllll, as we used to say when I was in the Army, 'it could be worse, it could have been me!' I'm retired now and make great plans and am amazed how a day can evaporate!
    "I'll help you down the trail and proud to!" Rooster Cogburn.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

SASS Life Member No 82047

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/

Psycholigist to Sniper; 'What did you feel when you shot the felon Sargeant?'
    Sniper to Psycholigist; 'Recoil Ma'am.'

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Four Fingers of Death View Post
    Welllllllllllllllllllll, as we used to say when I was in the Army, 'it could be worse, it could have been me!' I'm retired now and make great plans and am amazed how a day can evaporate!
    My friend, you are wrong, YEARS evaporate! It is almost hunting season again and my freezer is still full of deer meat.