Titan ReloadingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Snyders JerkyLoad DataReloading EverythingWideners
Lee Precision RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sizing not symmetrical?

Boolit Bub

Sizing not symmetrical?

I was sizing some cast .432" diameter bullets the other day to .431" with a RCBS sizer and noticed that the point where the bearing surface meets the ogive is not even all the way around. Another words, some areas are higher than others. I've noticed this on some other bullets but not to this amount. The bullet style is LFN.

Is this normal or how can I go about fixing it or reducing the severity of it? I did try "floating" the nose punch and sizing die but that didn't fix it though it helped a tiny bit.

Any other ideas?

Thanks guys.

Boolit Master
    Nose size with a Star and there is no issue with concentricity.

What you are experincing here is the inherent misalignment of lube sizers. Lyman are famous for it I have heard of an RCBS or two as well.

This mis alignment is the reason that the Seaco punches are designed a little different and are a little more expensive.

In the Saeco the punch screws into the top of the sizer and then the "cone" part of the punch centers it in the threaded hole.

If you can find a good deal on a Saeco buy it! It is the next best sizer on the market right behind the Star.

Boolit Master
    It's one reason I now use only my Star. Retired the Lyman. And the speed of the Star would be a factor as well.
    Paul G.
    Once I was young, now I am old and in between went by way to fast.

The end move in politics is always to pick up a gun.
    -- R. Buckminster Fuller

Boolit Bub
    That's what I was afraid of... but was hoping I overlooked something a little easier to fix. With a Star sizer, can you use it with gas checks?

Back to the RCBS sizer, as popular as they are, what do other people do to coop with the issue? Are some bullet profiles more likely to suffer from this "misalignment" than others?

Why can't things be simpler?

Boolit Master
    If your going to stick with the RCBS sizer, no matter what the reason, heres what I would do:

First get a small group of each boolit you wish to lube and size

then strip the "Pin" (I die?) out of the H die in the sizer.

Then insert your boolit nose first into the die and push it through until it comes out the bottom of the H die. Be aware you will have to put several through it to start getting them to come out the bottom. You may have to remove parts of the ram from the press to get the machine to do this. I have done this successfully with an old Lyman 45 but never attempted an RCBS sizer.

Once you have several nose sized boolits pull the H die from the press and insert one of these "choice" boolits back in the die so the nose points up , or out the top of the H die.

The ideas is to get a concentrically sized boolit with the nose sticking up out of the H die far enough that you can bring the top punch down onto it.

Now comes the tricky part. The straight shank top punch's are the weakness in this design. The shanks are never a tight fit and the set screw all ways pushs then out of alignment!

If you can have some one turn you a blank top punch or two with the shanks an actual push in fit in your sizer, then have them cut the section that fits the nose of the boolit very deep and wide

You turn the sizer up side down insert the H die with the boolit sticking out of it and coat it with a release agent like you'll find in an acra glass kit, mix up some JB weld or any good 2 compound 5 minute epoxy fill the extra large "hole" in your custom top punch and then lower the boolit into the glue until it hardens!

Now you will have an exact, made for you sizer only, top punch that should maintain alignment when sizing in the "standard" manner.

The up side is increased accuracy the down side is this is just annoying to have to do for more than one or two boolits!

Be careful with any epoxy around your sizer and make sure you compensate for "over fill" when you put the liquid epoxy in the top punch, you don't want it runnng down the sides of the top punch!

Hope this idea helps you out.

Boolit Master
    Check the top punch, doesn't have to be off much to start the boolit wrong. Might try rotating the sizing die to see if that helps. I know with my old #45 Lyman and big boolit dies, if one gets western when tightning the allen set screw, the die can be deformed a little.

I read where some guys with similar problems size their boolits through the Lee nose first push through dies then lube with their base first Lyman/RCBS units.
    Last edited by Hang Fire; 06-24-2010 at 02:13 AM.

Super Moderator

...............Don't feel like the Lone Stranger abcollector Check here: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=945

For what the extra cost it would entail, I fail to see why Lyman or RCBS don't simply provide hard chromed rams riding in solid bronze sleeves with felts top and bottom.

..............Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by abcollector View Post
    I was sizing some cast .432" diameter bullets the other day to .431" with a RCBS sizer and noticed that the point where the bearing surface meets the ogive is not even all the way around. Another words, some areas are higher than others. I've noticed this on some other bullets but not to this amount. The bullet style is LFN.

Is this normal or how can I go about fixing it or reducing the severity of it? I did try "floating" the nose punch and sizing die but that didn't fix it though it helped a tiny bit.

Any other ideas?

Thanks guys.

Fix it? Why sure. Run it through a nose first sizer. The one that has rifling in it.

It'll round out if that tube is round. Good chance that that tube isn't as close as your sizer. But after you put that slug through it's environmental transformation and it whacks something, that visual effect will be gone anyway.
    Reading can provide limited education because only shooting provides YOUR answers as you tie everything together for THAT gun. The better the gun, the less you have to know / do & the more flexibility you have to achieve success.

Boolit Master
    I do the epoxy in the drilled out top punch like heavymetal, with a couple added steps for my
    old Lyman 45. First I put a centerpunch dimple on the edge of the sizer die and line it up with the setscrew that holds the die in. Then I put another centerpunch dimple beside the top punch hole and a dimple on the top edge of the top punch shank. I line up those 2 dimples, line up the dimple on the sizer die with the setscrew, then add the epoxt to the hollowed out top punch. I do this for all my sizer dies and top punches. Being able to put the sizer and top punch in with the same orientation makes for perfect alignment every time.

Boolit Master
    Yes to gas checks in the Star, seats them very well.
    Paul G.
    Once I was young, now I am old and in between went by way to fast.

The end move in politics is always to pick up a gun.
    -- R. Buckminster Fuller

I run my boolits through a lee first.I run them through again to wipe lube off bands also.gives better neck tension.My lee is 1 thou less diameter.I usually heat treat boolits before lubing.They're hard and don't get messed up by any lubrisizer issues.

Boolit Grand Master

Several years ago I took several 7mm boolits to friends machine shop and checked concentricity on a comparator. The boolits had been sized in a Star, a SAECO and an RCBS (didn't have a Lyman). The differences were astounding, the RCBS and SAECO had very little difference between them. I didn't even have to keep the boolits separate to pick out the Star sized boolits, the difference in concentricity was that dramatic.

Boolits that far off center enter the bore that far off center pushing lead more to one side than the other. Of course it does, it's already on one side more than the other. Don't think for a second that just because your boolit enters the bore it's now magically nice and round and concentric. When that boolit leaves the muzzle like this (non-concentric/out of balance) there goes your group. Yes, I did group test this, non-concentric boolits do not group as well as concentric boolits. After this testing, both with the comparator and at the range, I haven't sized a boolit in anything except the Star. Speed is only part of the reason to use a Star . . . Speed, concentricity and no lube on the boolit anywhere except the lube groove.

Yes, of course the Star seats gas checks.

I suspect the Lee push through dies would have similar results but I haven't tried the lee's so can't say for sure.

Yep, RCBS, Lyman and SAECO machines will size and lube your boolits, I guess it all depends on what your looking for and willing to accept.

Rick
    "The people never give up their freedom . . . Except under some delusion." Edmund Burke

"Let us remember that if we suffer tamely a lawless attack on our liberty, we encourage it." Samuel Adams

NRA Benefactor Life Member
    CRPA Life Member

Boolit Master

Hmmm - How concentric are the boolits before you run them through the sizer? Is the extra length on one side only?
    Echo
    USAF Ret
    DPS, 2600
    NRA Benefactor
    O&U
    One of the most endearing sights in the world is the vision of a naked good-looking woman leaving the bedroom to make breakfast. Bolivar Shagnasty (I believe that Lazarus Long also said it, but I can't find any record of it.)

Banned
    There are too many members shooting exceptionally small groups in various rifle calibers, some of us in fast twist rifles at high velocity. If the RCBS and Lyman sizers are that "bad", how can that be?

If you fellows decide that you want to sell you "no good bullet bending Lyman's and RCBS" sizers I'll be glad to buy them. I'll sell them on Ebay and make a bundle.

Seriously there are reasons for bending bullets in those type sizers. One is the sizer itself may not be in perfect alignment. Buckshot mentioned something about why don't they make them such and such way. A trick to help the sizer to center a bullet is to let the top punch free float. Don't clamp it down with the set screw. Put a dab of stiff tacky lube on it. I've been doing that for years.

Next don't size the bullet excessively. If it needs to go down a lot do it in steps. Bullets are easier to size before they age so size them asap after casting. Try see that your gun will let you shoot a bullet that is loaded as it drops from the mold. That's best. If possible try using a sizer die that merely crimps the gas check and lubes the grooves without much sizing done to the bullet.

I'm getting too good of groups with long skinny 6.5 bullets to have a luber/sizer that is bending my bullets. So are others.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Echo View Post
    Hmmm - How concentric are the boolits before you run them through the sizer? Is the extra length on one side only?
    Length has nothing to do with it, it's more lead on one side than the other or non-concentric.

StarMetal, didn't read in this thread anywhere that said they "that bad". I do believe the Star is that good though, settle for whatever you wish.

Didn't read anywhere here where it said anything about "bending bullets".

Anything else you'd like to add that's not in this thread?

Rick
    "The people never give up their freedom . . . Except under some delusion." Edmund Burke

"Let us remember that if we suffer tamely a lawless attack on our liberty, we encourage it." Samuel Adams

NRA Benefactor Life Member
    CRPA Life Member

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by cbrick View Post
    Length has nothing to do with it, it's more lead on one side than the other or non-concentric.

StarMetal, didn't read in this thread anywhere that said they "that bad". I do believe the Star is that good though, settle for whatever you wish.

Didn't read anywhere here where it said anything about "bending bullets".

Anything else you'd like to add that's not in this thread?

Rick
    If a bullet isn't round, and none of them are perfect, no sizer is going to size them symmetrical. Only thing then would be to run them into a swager.

Now if that nose is where it looks like it is sizing different around the circumference, then maybe the that part of the mold isn't just right. Another thing is if the sizing is hard the bullet compressed if it has to be forced even if you can't see it and that usually takes place at the nose area. There is enough slop in the Lyman and RCBS sizers and being most dies now have a gentle lead in to their bore, I see no reason for the sizer machine to size it off center.

A long bullet can bend and make it appear it wasn't symmetrical after it was sized.

BTW I was kind of catching two threads at one time. The other one kinda gives the virtues that the Lyman and RCBS sizers are junk which they are not. I was also giving my opinion and experiences on what I have observed over the years. I wasn't flaming anyone in the thread and I really don't understand what your problem is with my post. Just trying to help.

Boolit Master
    "Next don't size the bullet excessively. If it needs to go down a lot do it in steps."

StarMetal you may have been referring to using different diameter sizing dies and you are right on that, long boolits are especially susceptible to bending. When doing some of the tricky ones that are being reduced only a little but still go hard in just one die, I size a little, back out and then a bit more, sometimes making 4-5 runs at it. If done in a one stroke pass, some bent boolits are almost a sure thing for me.

Banned

Unless you're using an LBT style bullet there's really not much chance of finding out if your lube sizer is sizing concentric or not. I predominantly use LBT moulds so after seeing the poor results using a lubesizer starting sizing in a Lee die and using the lubesizer with a die .001 over sized diameter to apply the lube. Adds a step but with all the other time you spend getting a bullet from ingot to something usable it isn't that bad.

Boolit Bub
    Pat I, I think you hit the nail on the head there. I did say I was sizing a LFN which in this case is a LBT bullet. I have found that it's hard to get an even line around the bullet at the end of the bearing surface and beginning of the ogive. I just wanted to see if there was something more I could do/try to limit it. I looks like a Star is in my future.

I will have two RCBS Lube-A-Sizers II for sale. One is like brand new that I modified from the sliding bar pressure screw to a ratchet style similar to the original Lube-A-Sizers, and the second one is in excellent shape with some paint coming off around where the sizing die nut screws into the body. Both are cleaned of lube and are ready to go.

Boolit Master

My comment about higher/taller/whatever on one side was aimed at the sized area of the boolit. If it was symmetrical, that is, the same height on one side as on the other, then I would think the boolit was figure-8 shaped as it came from the mold, and the sizer just rounded it up.
    On the other hand, if the sized portion was higher on one side than the other, that indicates some misalignment between the nose punch and the H/I die.
    So. What is the diameter of the as-cast boolit across the separation line, and 90* to that line. I wouldn't be surprised if they were .002-.003 different.
    Echo
    USAF Ret
    DPS, 2600
    NRA Benefactor
    O&U
    One of the most endearing sights in the world is the vision of a naked good-looking woman leaving the bedroom to make breakfast. Bolivar Shagnasty (I believe that Lazarus Long also said it, but I can't find any record of it.)