MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersSnyders JerkyRepackbox
Inline FabricationLoad DataLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .44mag accuracy

Boolit Buddy

.44mag accuracy

All the threads here about accuracy in a revolver have me wondering. group sizes are quoted without reference to off hand or rested, iron sights, dot, or scope, barrel length etc.

So for those that can I would be curious and it might give a good reference to others:

With a 4" 44mag with open sights what groups can you shoot OFF HAND?

Lets say 25 and 50 yards if you know both.

If you care to share load data that's always good.

I never really shoot groups so I have a hard time starting this one. I know I can ring an 8" steel plate 6 for 6 all day at 50 yards and 4 or 5 out of 6 at 70.

I will shoot some groups this weekend though to see how I measure up.
    "You need only reflect that one of the best ways
    to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the great struggle for independence."
    - Charles Austin Beard (1874-1948)

"The most effective way to find ourselves enslaved
    will not be done openly. If weakened we will sink gradually. I ask, who are the militia? They consist of the whole people,.... except a few public officers."
    - Thomas Jefferson

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Forester View Post
    With a 4" 44mag with open sights what groups can you shoot OFF HAND?
    If I had a 4" 44mag with open sights I suspect I could hit a pie plate at 7 feet 4 out of 6 times off hand.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Blammer View Post
    If I had a 4" 44mag with open sights I suspect I could hit a pie plate at 7 feet 4 out of 6 times off hand.
    Well we have a starting point
    to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the great struggle for independence."

will not be done openly. If weakened we will sink gradually. I ask, who are the militia? They consist of the whole people,.... except a few public officers."
    - Thomas Jefferson

Banned

Accuracy from shooting positions is different. Hardly none of us are good off hand. Find accuracy first from a rest, then practice off hand.
    Any position that you can hold the gun still for working loads always comes first.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by 44man View Post
    Accuracy from shooting positions is different. Hardly none of us are good off hand. Find accuracy first from a rest, then practice off hand.
    Any position that you can hold the gun still for working loads always comes first.
    Obviously different shooting positions create a different accuracy expectation.

that's why I specified off hand. Personally I could care less how well I can shoot my handguns from a rest because I don't use them that way in the real world. I use a rest for load development and then get rid of it.

Conversely, i never really shoot my rifles off hand much because the way I use them is virtually always rested or with some significant support.

So the question remains, your gun, your load off hand?

- Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Master
    This is a complicated question because it depends on the power level and shooting technique for the loads. That is velocity and bullet weight. And not allot of paper work with the 4", 44Mag either as is not my choice for an off hand paper gun. Pop can roller, but not much paper. So I am going from memory and to assume 240 / 250 class, off hand, with opens.

1200 + fps cast 3" @ 25, 8ish" @ 50

1000 - fps cast up to level with each shot: 2ish" @ 25, 5"- 10" @ 50
    1000 - fps cast down to up with each shot: 3" - 4" @ 25, 7"- 12" @ 50

The 1000 minus fps loads are both the same load, but powder position sensitivity coming up out of a holster is a PIA and for level work with accuracy loss mostly from the 5th and 6th shots as recoil moves the powder out and memory fails to hold it up and shake it back down. Ties you to too few of powder choices for my taste. Most of my non target shooting is coming up out out of the holster anyway. This is the reason that I went to the 44 Special for Special velocity level loads. Amazing what that little bit less case capacity does for powder options.

Now if I got a 44 Mag, it has a 6" tube or longer and is loaded to full case (magnum) levels. Longer barrel and sight radius and more gun weight make a HUGE difference for me.
    Reading can provide limited education because only shooting provides YOUR answers as you tie everything together for THAT gun. The better the gun, the less you have to know / do & the more flexibility you have to achieve success.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Bass Ackward View Post
    This is a complicated question because it depends on the power level and shooting technique for the loads. That is velocity and bullet weight. And not allot of paper work with the 4", 44Mag either as is not my choice for an off hand paper gun. Pop can roller, but not much paper. So I am going from memory and to assume 240 / 250 class, off hand, with opens.

1200 + fps cast 3" @ 25, 8ish" @ 50

1000 - fps cast up to level with each shot: 2ish" @ 25, 5"- 10" @ 50
    1000 - fps cast down to up with each shot: 3" - 4" @ 25, 7"- 12" @ 50

The 1000 minus fps loads are both the same load, but powder position sensitivity coming up out of a holster is a PIA and for level work with accuracy loss mostly from the 5th and 6th shots as recoil moves the powder out and memory fails to hold it up and shake it back down. Ties you to too few of powder choices for my taste. Most of my non target shooting is coming up out out of the holster anyway. This is the reason that I went to the 44 Special for Special velocity level loads. Amazing what that little bit less case capacity does for powder options.

Now if I got a 44 Mag, it has a 6" tube or longer and is loaded to full case (magnum) levels. Longer barrel and sight radius and more gun weight make a HUGE difference for me.
    Thanks, that is a great answer.

FWIW my load is 10.4gr of Unique. Federal gold metal match mag primer, Lyman 429421 cast from WW alloy. Runs about 1090fps 15ft in front of the muzzle.

- Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Master
    I know that 6 for 6 all day at 50 yds on an 8" plate is fantastic, not many can do that, especially with some of the more powerful guns, doing it with a 4" barrel is even more impressive.

Dick

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by sixshot View Post
    I know that 6 for 6 all day at 50 yds on an 8" plate is fantastic, not many can do that, especially with some of the more powerful guns, doing it with a 4" barrel is even more impressive.

Dick
    See I have no comparison point. I have sent maybe 120,000 .45ACP rounds through a few 1911s and with my custom I can ring that 8" plate at just over 1 second splits until the mag runs dry. I do consider myself a good shot with a 1911 though I know several who are better.

A friend came over recently who owns a few guns but shoots very rarely. There is nothing like getting twice the hits at twice the range to get someone to take a little friendly advice.

With a revolver though I don't care about the speed as much as what can I really do and at what range. I like the 4" because it is so handy to carry in the woods but I want the best performance I can get out of it.

- Thomas Jefferson

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Forester View Post
    Obviously different shooting positions create a different accuracy expectation.

that's why I specified off hand. Personally I could care less how well I can shoot my handguns from a rest because I don't use them that way in the real world. I use a rest for load development and then get rid of it.

Conversely, i never really shoot my rifles off hand much because the way I use them is virtually always rested or with some significant support.

So the question remains, your gun, your load off hand?
    I see your point and it is correct. Once a load works, shoot off hand.
    Whitworth and I after having enough practice can hold about 6" at 100 yards with a .475 and hit a beer can now and then, off hand.
    I have watched him shoot those little water bottles at 86 yards off hand with open sights using his .44 S&W, time and again. He shoots better then I do. He can still see, I can't.
    Accuracy first, then practice.
    I only shoot better then Whitworth from sand bags.
    But we kill deer a little past 100 yards off hand.

Banned

If your gun is accurate, barrel length is not much of a problem, it is how good you can see sights.
    The only problem with short barrels is the sight clicks move POI a lot more per click.

44man
    you will probably shoot better if you could get some of the custom shooting shoes that Dick wears

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by bigboredad View Post
    44man
    you will probably shoot better if you could get some of the custom shooting shoes that Dick wears
    I remember those! It was indeed so funny I almost fell off my seat.

Banned
    44man said
    I remember those! It was indeed so funny I almost fell off my seat.
    I'm sure sixshot is like me and could care less.

hey I've been looking for some of those if I could shoot half as good as Dick or you I would gladly let you laugh at me. If I lived a little closer maybe I could hang out with you and Whitworth and run around getting your beers in my crocs uh I mean shooting shoes then might be able to have the best of both worlds

Banned

The only thing that would make this site perfect is if we all lived next door. I feel so lucky to have a few that do, best friends forever.
    Then Bioman makes his own beer like I do. Just how great is that? We now work together and swap recipes and equipment.
    I just kegged a wheat beer with the zest of an orange, corriander and blueberry flavor. Be a few weeks, I can't wait.
    Many of us argue and even have posts shut down, but WHY?
    It is the long distance junk!

Boolit Buddy
    With 4 5/8" RSB / 8.0 grs Unique / 429421 / 25 yds offhand - 2 1/2 - 3 inches on an average to good day - depending on light conditiions, temperature etc.

With 7 1/2" RSB / 24.0 grs H110 / 240 gr Hornady XTP / 75 yds offhand, but standing with my back against a tree ( simulating standing on a ladder stand ) - usually 5 out of 6 on 9 " white paper plate, sometimes 4, sometimes all 6, but usually only 5.

I have a bullet trap in my back yard that I can shoot 25 yds, pistol or .22 rifle, from a bench with sandbags and have tested both of these loads. They are consistently 1 1/2" groups ON A GOOD DAY and who knows what on a bad day. I have been shooting the same 2 loads out of the same 2 .44's for approx 15 years and have taken three shots with the heavy load at deer and killed all three, the longest shot being approx 54 steps.

My accuracy may not equal other shooters, but it is about my limit with a heavy loaded .44 magnum. I cannot remember ever taking a shot at game with the shorter barrel gun, but have sent many tin cans, targets, and rocks to see their makers.

Steve

that sounds like a very tasty beverage. Due to the multiple sclerosis my wife doesn't let me have too much beer anymore but that sure sounds tasty. and I think we could have a lot of fun hanging out as does Whitmore

Quote Originally Posted by Blammer View Post
    Thank the Lord!
    Someone shoots offhand the way I do

Moderator Emeritus

2 inches at 25 yards is fairly common, but have to spread out the time or my eyes start to blur. Thats with a 7 1/2 bbl.

I have lots of one hole groups at 100yds. shoot six rds. and find one hole in the target (thats a one hole group aint it?)
    grit yer teeth an pull the trigger