WidenersInline FabricationTitan ReloadingLoad Data
Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First 4 shots from the BFR

First 4 shots from the BFR

25 yards standing with forearms resting on rails. First three shots made a nice cloverleaf and fourth was after sight adjustment. Gotta love it!!! Especially since this is the first 4 shots fired from it.

Boolit Master

You didn't. say what it was, I would like to know.

Skeet1

In Remembrance - Super Moderator & Official Cast Boolits Sketch Artist

Forearms are alot better than elbows after the first shot corrected that mistake BFR gives alittle push back. Oh btw my first shot with mine was on the money as well very happy with it. 45/70 to let Skeet know.
    Reloading to save money I am sure the saving is going to start soon

475 Linebaugh. Recoil is not bad, but it does push the limit of my "loose grip" style of shooting

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by tek4260 View Post
    475 Linebaugh. Recoil is not bad, but it does push the limit of my "loose grip" style of shooting
    I have a load for you to try.... I'm glad it's off to a good start for you. How is the trigger?

Lousy. But I'll take care of that soon.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by tek4260 View Post
    Lousy. But I'll take care of that soon.
    I expected so. The trigger on my brothers BFR was well on the "lousy" side also. They are an easy fix though. What boolit did you use in your first loads>

Banned

Once you fix the trigger, your vision will be the only limit.
    Those of us in the know have fallen in love with the BFR's.
    You are just starting, your wonderful gun will do that at 50 yards and farther. Those of us behind the grip are the weak link.
    Be aware you should not shoot any revolver with a loose grip and the .475 is the start that will let you know it is wrong. Keep a very firm grip at all times.
    I relaxed too much shooting at the first few deer with mine and just took hair off their backs or overshot them. I have to talk to myself and say "hold tight." I no longer miss them.
    I was so shook up I was thinking about Magna Port but it was just me. Deer don't bother me and I was just too loose.
    The funniest shot was at a buck that came in on the wrong side so I could not use two hands. I poked the gun out with one hand and must have shot over him by a foot at 20 yards!

Boolit Master
    so its only a four shot revolver ?
    i knew they were big and heavy just did no know so big and heavy only room for 4 ....

dang that is big.....
    only accurate rifles are interesting

I stopped after I adjusted the sight and walked down to see where I'd hit. She who must be obeyed came out an let me know how obnoxious a 475 is when you are shooting underneath a covered deck on the rear of your house! I got the hint and quit while I was ahead. Seems it was quite a bit louder than the 22 I started shooting with.

Boolit Buddy
    have been working with power pistol and 400gr wfn in my 475 bfr with excellent accuracy and very good chrono data-extremely consistent in the 950-975fps range. ought to burn well in shorter barrel. bfr and 475 continue to impress me with how flexible they are to work with and relatively ease in attaining excellent accuracy. left eye dominance has forced me to try to learn to shoot left handed after 35+ years shooting right handed, hence the reduced loads while climbing the learning curve. it's working. last five shots weren't a cloverleaf, but 1.25", so pleased with early progress.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bobke View Post
    have been working with power pistol and 400gr wfn in my 475 bfr with excellent accuracy and very good chrono data-extremely consistent in the 950-975fps range. ought to burn well in shorter barrel. bfr and 475 continue to impress me with how flexible they are to work with and relatively ease in attaining excellent accuracy. left eye dominance has forced me to try to learn to shoot left handed after 35+ years shooting right handed, hence the reduced loads while climbing the learning curve. it's working. last five shots weren't a cloverleaf, but 1.25", so pleased with early progress.
    I am left eye dominant, and have always shot right handed. Whatever works for you is best, but just turning your head slightly to the right puts my left eye in line with the sights. It might be easier than re-learning 35 years worth of shooting for you. Care to share your Power Pistol load? I have about 13 pounds of the stuff I have been slowly burning in .38 Spl.....

Boolit Buddy
    10.2 gr of power pistol/winchester lp primer/400gr wfn yields 965fps, very low es/sd and excellent accuracy. that charge, in my rcbs measure, is same volume as 13.0 hs6, which also shoots very well at 1002fps, same bullet/primer. i just put a higher blade in my bowen rough country rear sight and was still a bit high, so dropped charge to 9.7 and am dead on with sight almost bottomed out, which is where i prefer to keep it, if able. real impressed with consistency of power pistol, which i'd heard worked very well in 45 colt, but the 475 got put to trial first, as hs6 works really well in 3 45 colts i've got at the moment.

i'm thinking power pistol is near ideal at this velocity range, but as the heat rises in s. texas over the summer, so too may pressures at same charge. barrel was heating up a bit the other day over a 50 round string. may have to look at slower powders in the heat of the summer.

regarding left eye dominance, i'm naturally right handed, but have always shot rifle and shotgun southpaw and stayed with handgun with right. i'm finding about a 12" variance right to left and about 6" of elevation change with sights set the same, and switching between right and left hand. all of my handgun sights are set to extreme right, groups are good either way, but a huge poi change, so have set about trying to teach myself a new trick. not easy or natural feeling...yet.

back to regularly scheduled program, sorry for momentary threadjack.

Boolit Master
    Thanks for the data. I had tried 10.0 grs., but I believe it was with a heavier boolit. I have some LEE 400's I should try it with.

Boolit Master
    There is no doubt, at least in my mind that the BFR's are a class act in some of the calibers they offer. Some people can be happy with that and I have absolutely no problem with that, but what about the rest of us or should I say the majority.

However and this is the truth!!! If they would put together a 45LC on a 5 shot cylinder (Correct cylinder dimensions) with a colt 45 handle and keep the weight down to the Ruger 45 Black Hawk area or lower, I would put my name on the list today to buy one!
    For the life of me I can not understand why they haven't done it a long time ago! Instead they show there expertise by building/selling a 45/210 shotgun, yea, every one interested in a good revolver can't wait to get there hands on this! This company needs to get someone in TOP management that understands what people want and stop making asinine decisions. Don't worry about FA's sales model. Try being a little out in front and doing what the people want! A 45/410 shotgun, LOL.

Boolit Buddy
    changeling-
    i've put the same proposition to them on a correct dimensioned 45colt, but as they have a 454 set up correctly in their offerings, they felt it was somewhat redundant and not a viable candidate at that time (about 4 months ago). that said, you can get any flavor you prefer from their custom/precision shop, at numbers that would still leave change for a coffee compared to initial outlay from freedom arms. and nothing against the freedom-just comparing the initial entry investment required. in my humble opinion, they'd both shoot damn well, just a better degree of finishing, aesthetics and sight options with freedom.

i did suggest that magnum research ought to offer a greater variety of sight inserts for the replacement front sight assy, as a brass bead, black bead or a black bead with a thin white horizontal line would make a nice, inexpensive option for those of us who have a hard time with the red or green inserts. i'm really impressed with the pure shootability of the bfr and am planning some further investment in sight options myself. other than some grip fitting, it shoots really well right out of the box. and they do now offer a 5" 44 mag fit up just right, if what i've seen so far is any indication.

Boolit Master
    You beat me to it, Bob. Magnum Research offers a .454, so why would they offer a .45 Colt? Get the .454 and load it the way you want it. Keep in mind that they are a budget (read: affordable) alternative and a damn fine one if you ask me. I have yet to meet a BFR that doesn't shoot exceedingly well.
    Last edited by Whitworth; 05-28-2010 at 08:12 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    bfr's kind of remind me of early savage 110 rifles. i had a 338 that shot absolutely lights out, good as a very accurate 270 bdl i had. but...it looked like it'd been inletted into a treated 4x4. stone ugly, but sure was pretty on paper and in the field.

i can't say the bfr is that aesthetically displeasing, it's kind of got that no nonsense, no b/s, bulldog kind of industrial look, but it's a sure beautiful shooter. and if you drift over to the single action forum (yes, you have permission), there are some really handsome bfr's done over by the likes of alan harton and others. some really fine looking pieces. so fine, i'm going to borrow a few ideas here and there and create one of my own. and it won't be a model 83, but it'll be exactly what i want, done by those who excel at the art and science of it, and i'd bet you a really good beer it'll shoot far beyond my abilities.

so...how bad could that be?

Boolit Master
    Bob, the only change I would make is a Bisley grip frame, particularly on the bigger calibers. The Bisly just works better for my hands. But, Magnum Research uses a first-rate barrel, and they shoot extremely well. They're definitely not a safe-queen, but a real, no-nonsense field revolver (as you pointed out), plus you can get two and half for the price of one FA! LOL!

Banned
    Good shooting and I'm glad to see someone else using the same line of targets as me.....printing paper and marker pen!!!!!!!!! I feel better now.