Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Load Data
RepackboxTitan ReloadingWidenersInline Fabrication
Lee Precision

Thread: All this talk about flux

All this talk about flux

Specifically talking WW's..... Do we tend to overflux??????

The Dove

One cannot cause any damage to the lead alloy by fluxing, so in that sense one cannot "overflux." The idea that too much fluxing could be detrimental is a misunderstanding of what fluxing is and does. Unfortunately, there are some that repeatedly advertize the 'dangers' of fluxing.

If you mean that we may be fluxing when we need not, and thereby are "overfluxing," then that's possible-- but I think that the reverse is actually the case. Lead pourers are almost undoubtedly not fluxing often enough.

If everyone understood the importance of fluxing, by that single change alone, there'd be considerably fewer "I'm having trouble with my pouring" and "My molten lead looks funny" questions. It's always a good time for a refresher: http://www.lasc.us/FryxellFluxing.htm

Flux early, flux often.

Thumbs up Many thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sagacious View Post
    One cannot cause any damage to the lead alloy by fluxing, so in that sense one cannot "overflux." The idea that too much fluxing could be detrimental is a misunderstanding of what fluxing is and does. Unfortunately, there are some that repeatedly advertize the 'dangers' of fluxing.

If you mean that we may be fluxing when we need not, and thereby are "overfluxing," then that's possible-- but I think that the reverse is actually the case. Lead pourers are almost undoubtedly not fluxing often enough.

If everyone understood the importance of fluxing, by that single change alone, there'd be considerably fewer "I'm having trouble with my pouring" and "My molten lead looks funny" questions. It's always a good time for a refresher: http://www.lasc.us/FryxellFluxing.htm

Flux early, flux often.
    Sagacious, Thanks for this info and the great link. Do you by any chance do private tutoring?
    To Ride, Shoot Straight and Speak the Truth.

Col. Jeff Cooper......Remembered

N.R.A. Lifer (in two more 25.00 payments)

Lesslethal,
    If need be, you can always direct a pm question to me or others here on the forum.

You might wish to spend some time perusing the lasc site. It's an excellent resource, and the knowledge there will help you maximize the successes and enjoyment that you get from casting/loading/shooting.
    http://www.lasc.us/CastBulletNotes.htm

Best of luck.

Oh! Thanks.

The Dove

In Remembrance

One person on this forum has said on several occasions that you are removing metal when you flux. Actually the opposite is true as you reduce tin and lead oxides back to their base element and therefore put metal back in.

Boolit Master
    If you use Marvelux, or similar type flux you are removing metal. Wood shavings/dust or other carbon based fluxes do not!
    R.D.M.