WidenersSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Repackbox
Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Titan Reloading

Thread: BPCR vs. paper cartridge

Boolit Mold

BPCR vs. paper cartridge

Hello everybody,

I have a Pedersoli 1859 Sharps in .54 cal and I'm thinking about getting a Pedersoli Sharps in .45-70. I would mostly use it for elk hunting out here in Colorado and would like to try my hand at BPCR long range shooting. My question is: at reasonable hunting distances, say 100-150 yards is their any benefit accuracy and power wise of a mettalic cartridge over the old fashioned paper cartridge, or am i just hungry for another rifle? Thanks.

Boolit Bub
    No advantage as far as accuracy and power, out to 150 yds. More reliable ignition and faster loading though. Plus, I never liked carrying a muzzle loader all day, not get a shot, then trying to decide whether to leave it loaded for the next day or discharge, clean and reload the next day. Cartridge rifles are a major improvement. Plus, you definitely need another rifle!

Boolit Master
    The 45-70 will be a little flatter shooting as for power either will work well at BP velocities. Several years ago I used a Pedersoli 54 cal rifle to kill a deer and it did the job quite well. As for unloading it at the end of the day, if you use cartridges made so as to completely enter the chamber with a paper base you can easily unload it at the end of the day.