MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
WidenersLoad DataTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Repackbox Reloading Everything

Thread: couple newb questions

Boolit Mold

couple newb questions

Hey casters! A couple questions real quick...I shoot BP revolvers, and have saved a lot of balls that have been found where I shoot..they were put into a plastic tub, and not covered up. The other day the tub was full of rain water.

Can they just be spread out in the sun to dry out, or is there a possibility of the moisture being trapped inside the (pores)? I'm gonna try first session this week, and am exploring every safety aspect I can, and I definatlly know water and molten lead dont mix.........

And the other question...I have a Lee 10 pounder with bottom spout...can these be operated with a heavy duty 25ft extinsion cord, I'll be casting outdoors, and have to use an inside wall socket.

Sure appreciate any info on this, and sure do thank yall for the great reading!

Boolit Master
    Yes to both questions. The wet balls could be put into a COLD pot and the heat turned on safely. Any water will be gone by the time the balls start to melt. Never add wet balls (or other scrap) to already molten lead.
    R.D.M.

Do what Blackthorn says, and mold them up into ingots. Keep the ingots OUT of water. NEVER mix moisture with molten lead.

Boolit Mold
    Thanks blackthorn...Appreciate the reply. I kinda thought they'd be allright, but just wanted to be sure. Actually, I was more concerned about runnin the smelter through an extinsion cord...didnt wanna burn it up...thanks again.

Boolit Master
    AS noted, Keep water out of a pot of melted lead.

If you want to empty a pot real quick, just throw something containing water or other liquid in to the melted metal and you will find much of the metal instantly out of the pot and on to everything surrounding the pot.

NOT GOOD OR FUN TO BE AROUND!!!!!!!!!!!!

Heed each and every warning you see about avoiding such a situation or possibly pay a very big price!

Keep em coming!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

Boolit Master in Heaven's Range
    Armory,

You don't tell us where you live. If it's in the Southeast, putting your range scrap out in the sun may may take several days to drive out the moisture, due to the atmospheric humidity. If you live in the Southwest, a few hours laid out in the sun may make them too dry to melt (kidding). Our dry atmosphere drys EVERYTHING very quickly.

Or, as mentioned, you can put them in a cold pot and turn on the heat. That will dry them before they melt.

If the extension cord is 12 or 10 gage wire, it will easily power your pot. You'll be drawing about 6.5 Amps with the pot. The larger gage wire is required to avoid losing most of the power from the wall socket to wire resistance and the resultant heat (the extension cord will get warm). The extension cord itself will be drawing some of the current. Bigger diameter wire (smaller gage number) will reduce this. Also, be sure to use a socket that's on a circuit that isn't being shared by your wife's hair dryer, clothes iron or the microwave oven. Doing so will surely trip a breaker. Otherwise, you're good to go.

Regards,

Stew
    Last edited by AZ-Stew; 04-26-2010 at 04:00 PM.
    Sig file change:
    "Obi Wan Baloney"
    VOTE 2012! Throw them out! Every last one of them! (Feel free to add this to your sig. Spread the word!)

"...Get a rope." Pace Picante Sauce commercial, ca. 1984

"I (did, on several occasions) swear to support and defend the Constitution of the United States, against ALL enemies, foreign AND domestic, and to bear true faith and allegiance to the same." And when I left, they never asked me to recant.

Boolit Mold
    Hey thanks AZ..I live in Missouri...So I reckon halfway! I'm not sure what the wire gauge is on the extinsion cord...I just know its a heavy duty one (use it as a motor heater for my work truck) I called Lee and the guy said it would be ok to run the pot with a cord....Just wanted to doublecheck with you pros!

Boolit Master
    Now what did I tell ya?

You'll soon have answers to questions ya haven't even thought of yet!

Just hang on, it can be a fun ride.

Keep em coming!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

Boolit Master on Heaven’s Range
    DMARMORY, Welcome to the forum!
    And yes to your question.
    First, spread out the boolets on a hard surface.
    And let them sit in the sun for awile.
    Then fill up your COLD pot.
    Then add heat.
    Your boolets will be dry before they melt.
    Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy!
    Ben Franklin

Boolit Master
    I just dry my balls with a towel after I get out of the shower.
    Fly

Awww, geeeeez - it's gonna take awhile to get THAT visual out of my head
    "If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about."