Load DataRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
WidenersTitan ReloadingRepackboxInline Fabrication
Lee Precision

Thread: Lighter 44 Mag loads w/TiteGroup or 2400

Boolit Master

Lighter 44 Mag loads w/TiteGroup or 2400

I have been using 296 or 110 for my full power .44 Mag loads in my Ruger SBH revolver with good success.

Here's the wish list:

I'd like to use either the TiteGroup or 2400 that I have on hand for some lighter loads that I can shoot a pile of without gloves, and that my 12yr old son can also enjoy. I wouldn't mind at all if they were accurate too.

The preferred boolit is my PB 240gr boolit (I hate spending $ and time on GC), using Felix lube (love the stuff). Did I mention that I don't like leading?

Thanks for your suggestions.

Boolit Buddy
    5.5 of Titegroup behind Lee's 240 gr. 2R averages 806 fps out of an 8" Wesson. Your 12 year old should be able to handle dozens of those in a session. 2400 doesn't lend itself at all well to reduced loads... too slow a burnrate.

Boolit Master
    +1 on the TITEGROUP. HP38 (231) works well in my "herd of VAQUEROS." Get the freebie HODGDON booklet for cowboy loads as a good starting point. Only problem with real low end loads is soot on the empty casings....but I tumble mine in corncob grit after each firing anyhow.

PS You really want to impress the boy (and everyone else) get a full wadcutter mould for the 44. Those are some impressive holes in the targets!

Boolit Master
    I use 18.0g of 2400 in the .44 mag with cast boolits that range from 225 to 245g. Accuracy has been excellent and leading is very very minimal.
    It's all chicken, even the beak!

Boolit Master

i have several 44 mags i use a saeco 200 gr tc bullet with 5.5 gr of t.g. or b.e. for 800 fps , 7.0 of t.g. or b.e. for 980 fps both loads are accurate out of all of my 44 mags. loaded in mag cases and standard lpp

I only like TG for fertilizing the lawn, and 2400 isn't really going to download well. I would look to Unique, Unicersal or WSF for good 900-100fps loads. Try 8gr-9gr of Unique or WSF, 7-8gr of Universal.

Trail Boss works well for soft loads also, fills case well. Using around 8 grains in 44 mag case, 240 SWC

Quote Originally Posted by fredj338 View Post
    I only like TG for fertilizing the lawn, and 2400 isn't really going to download well. I would look to Unique, Unicersal or WSF for good 900-100fps loads. Try 8gr-9gr of Unique or WSF, 7-8gr of Universal.
    I'll take all the lawn fertilizer you want to send me....

Out Practicing
    “I swear by my life and my love of it that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine.”
    ― Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged.

Quote Originally Posted by jr545 View Post
    I'll take all the lawn fertilizer you want to send me....
    I'll agree with that - titegroup has out shot unique in EVERY caliber i have tried it in

If you're open to other powder, I've had very good result with a Keith SWC and 6 or 7 grains of Bullseye. Very consistent, and 6 grains give me around 900-950 fps.

Quote Originally Posted by jbc View Post
    I'll agree with that - titegroup has out shot unique in EVERY caliber i have tried it in
    At what velocity levels in what calibers? TG is reloader's Koolaid IMO. There are so many powders that work across a broader vel range, in more calibers than TG. As always, JMO, TG burns too hot for my likeing w/ lead bullets.

i have used between 4.6 and 9.0 grains of titegroup in my 44 mag. a nice mild load that a youngster would enjoy is the 4.6g. personally, i find it a bit anemic. 5.0 grains is a bit better for mild (44 special type) loads. the 9.0 grain loads kind of get with the program. not nearly as hard as a full blown load of h110, but they git right alnong. hope this helps you. all of these loads were with 240g lee swc boolits.