Lee PrecisionWidenersLoad DataRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Titan Reloading Snyders Jerky

Thread: Lyman 525 12 GA slug,, looking for 3 gun load

Lyman 525 12 GA slug,, looking for 3 gun load

I have been shooting the WIN 1, OZ slugs that are 1600FPS they shoot fine, and the accuracy is acceptable.

I'm looking for Lyman 525 load recipes, I shoot 3 Gun. And I'm looking for a load that will Function my Benelli M2 smooth bore. But with reasonable recoil.

Jim

Bump the Thread
    Has anyone loaded slugs for any Semi auto shotgun?

Thanks Jim M

Banned
    Hello Jim any slug loaded for shotgun will work in Semi auto or pump action. Please read the other post from Phaesseler and you'll learn from their expertise.
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=67781
    Ajay Madan
    www.PreciousVideoMemories.Com

Usually for three gun comp. you want lower velocity, lower recoil loads for short range work that will still work a semi-auto gun.

Most people seem to prefere the Lee 1-oz slug mold cast soft for thre gun comp. loads and they load them using 1-1/8oz. lead shot load data - usually with "Clays" or "Clay Dot" powder for it's clean burn.

The Lyman 525 slug although less prefered for this use would probably work fine if loaded with 1-1/4oz. lead shot load data.

20ga. nitro card under slug inside wad seems to be favored by a lot of people and will make either a Lee 1-oz loaded with 1-1/8oz lead shot load data or a Lyman 525 loaded with 1-1/4oz lead shot load data just the right height for nice pretty crimps that arn't dished in. Similar loads constructed without the nitro card will produce slightly dished in fold crimps, this produces no problems with either performance, reliability, or safety it is mearly a cosmetic issue.

Due to the fact that loading the slugs with lead shot load data will produce milder loads then using load data specifically developed for them the 20ga. nitro card under the slug inside the wad produces less of a difference in accuracy then it does when used in higher power slug load data.

In Conclusion: IMHO you should load your Lyman 525 slugs with 1-1/4oz lead shot load data. Whether you bother to use 20ga. nitros or not is your discretion. IME they don't make a whole lot of difference with such lighter loads.

I've tested this load pretty extensively. This load cycles fine in a riot gun or slug barrel on a Remington 1100 and is relatively mild.

Lyman 525gr slug, 12GA
    AA Hulls
    24.0gr Universal Clays
    WAAF114 Wad

There are stiffer loads listed in the manuals (27+ gr) but this is my favorite for easy shooting.

Arclight

I use the Lyman and Lee slugs in an 1187 at 1050 fps. Very reliable functioning and the cases just flop out the side.
    I use a Vectan powder called A1,25gns of it. I think its burn rate is similar to Unique IIRC.
    Tony

Thank you,,,, very much,, that is the type of info I was fishing for.

Jim M

Banned
    I just finished loading Lyman 525 slug of 500 grains cast of WW in Fed 12S4 wad with a 16 gauge nitro card in the shot cup below the slug with 31 grains WSF powder in Fiocchi 2 3/4 hull and fold crimped. Great fit!
    This is a medium load but quite accurate, you could go as high as 34 grains.
    Or
    44 grains of Blue Dot for 1500 fps with Fed 12C1 wad
    Sight in 2.5 to 3 inch high at 50 yards and go hunting.
    Happy Holidays
    Ajay Madan

Boolit Buddy
    Arclight nailed it I did the same with Herco. WW hull WAAF 1 1/4 Started at 25gr To much Very nice deer hunting load. Down load to 22grs just right for me.

525 Lyman,,

Quote Originally Posted by Kskybroom View Post
    Arclight nailed it I did the same with Herco. WW hull WAAF 1 1/4 Started at 25gr To much Very nice deer hunting load. Down load to 22grs just right for me.
    I tested 24 grains of Herco with the 525 Lyman slug. I have tested 5 shots at 50 yards. I am going to stop, and test that load a little more,,, but it shoots very well. and it runs my gun, low recoil, and at 50 yards. I am a lucky man, I got 3 shots to touch, one nice hole. I only hope I can shoot that type of group again.

Jim

Boolit Buddy
    WIn AA case
    20 grains WST
    WIN 209
    WAA12 wad
    Lyman slug
    1255 fps and recoils like a trap load.

shoots about 1.5 inches at 50 yds in my rifled gun...i need to test it in a smoothbore.
    A.F.A.M.

WIn AA case
    24.5 Herco
    WIN 209
    WAA12 wad
    Lyman slug

Gives me holds of
    50 dead ON
    70 8 inch drop
    100 20 inch drop,

the load runs my Auto,,,
    and doesn't beat me too bad,

Jim

Thank all of you for your input!

I am using a smoothbore Remmmy 870P, and I also experimented with "reduced recoil" Lyman slugs.

The end result?

Pthhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!

I am using:

Lyman 525-grain "in hull" slugs
    Remmy Premier STS hulls
    Win 209 primers
    WAA12F114 wads
    26-grains Universal

I tried reducing it to 25-grains, and then 24-grains. And while it felt really nice, the shot groups opened up like a blind man throwing a frisbee.

The problem?

Benny Hill (the shotgun guru) told me, "Too much barrel time". What this means is that even thought you might not perceive it, the slug is still staying within the barrel that fraction of a second while the barrel is flipping from the shot. This will raise your point of impact drastically at distances.

Here's the deal - zero a home-rolled "low recoil" slug for 25-yards with a smooth bore shotty. (Close quarter multi-gunning stage). Now try hitting the 50-yard bullseye . Ain't gonna happen.

Wanna get even more ridiculous? Try hitting the 100-yard target witht this same load.

The lower the FPS on a 25-yard zeroed slug, the higher my shots impacted on 50-yard shots. And at 100-yards...fogitabowdit. (Off the paper).

For a smooth barrel shotty, you need to keep up the speed up in order to remain on target, and more importantly, TO REMAIN CONSISTANT.

If others got different results, more power to you.

But this shooter has already gone that path (with a smooth bore) and have concluded that the 525-grain Lyman slugs need to remain hot. (Approximately 1350 FPS).

Just my observations.

In Christ: Raymond

PS: I already hashed this out on BrianEnos.com, and Calguns.net.
    PSS: I have shot this same load through a Spaghetti M2 and M4, with zero problems. Granted they were rifled barrels, but no hiccups even with the sloppy reduced loads.

Boolit Grand Master
    Raymond, you talk about an accuracy problem first ("the shot groups opened up like a blind man throwing a frisbee"), and then you start talking about a point of impact problem ("the lower the fps, the higher my shots impacted").

They're two distinct things. Which of those two is it? What I get from the explanation is that it's a point of impact problem....in other words, it's hitting too high.

A point of impact problem may be corrected with moving the sights if the sights have the latitude to do so. If your sights cannot so adjust, perhaps a taller front sight is in order.

Once zeroed, I have no grouping problems with lower velocity slugs.

I am using my shotgun for multi-gun matches.

If I zero the "low recol" slug at 25 yards (POA is POI), and then try to hit a 75-yard target...it is waaaay high.

And if I zero the "low recoil" slug at 25-yards (like above) and shoot at a 100-yard target...it is off the paper high.

If I am shooting at 75-yards, 100-yards, or further...I need consistency, and more importantly, accuracy.

Accuarcy is most consistant with the flatter trajectory (given with a higher FPS delivery), as it will not be effected as much by temperature changes or wind.

"Yes," I can adjust the sights to ensure hits on a 100-yard target with "low recoil" slugs. But the groups will not be as tight, and there will be more room for error (or inconsistency) the farther out the target is.

Just my observations on the same journey the OP is on.

with the load I worked up,,, I am more than happy with the results,,,

I will use it in the LaRue 3 gun match,, next weekend,,, as well as .40 S&W 180 gr TC.

cast bullets ROCK!

What load did you finally settle on for the Lyman 525-grainer, Morrisammo?

this was it..

WIn AA case
    24.5 Herco
    WIN 209
    WAA12 wad
    Lyman slug

Gives me holds of
    50 dead ON
    70 8 inch drop
    100 20 inch drop,

the load runs my Auto,,,
    and doesn't beat me too bad,

jim

Just to up date this incase,,, some other 3 gunner wants to load some Lyman 525's

they rocked,,, I shot them in the LaRue 3 gun match, and they helped me in a big way they were on the money,, and did not kick bad at all,,

very happy with them!!

Jim

Boolit Bub
    I use the Lee 7/8 slug with 16 grains of 700X for a light load.. Bump to 20 grains for more zip.
    Everyting functions great with my Browning A500 Gas (w/smoothbore slug barrel) out to & past 100 yd. Wish There was a nearby 3-gun match to try out with my other toys.