Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Load DataTitan Reloading
Snyders JerkyInline FabricationRepackboxWideners
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: How Old Are You

Beekeeper

How Old Are You

Do you remember when at the range the only telephone was in the office?
    What did we do before texting?
    How were we able to live without a cell phone?
    What would you do if it all stopped?

Yesterday I had an accident because some lady was too busy texting to see the stop light and felt it was my fault for not understanding how important it was for her to send and receive vital info while driving.
    She was so busy texting and talking on her phone she didn't even have time for the policeman who gave her a ticket.
    Was more worried about being behind on her schedule and how was she going to ketch up without a vehicle.

What do you think would happen if it all went away and we had to do it the old fashoned way?

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Beekeeper View Post
    Do you remember when at the range the only telephone was in the office?
    What did we do before texting?
    How were we able to live without a cell phone?
    What would you do if it all stopped?
    Range? No phone, no range, the Cascade mountains was our range

Dont know never had to text. "Hello" still works if you want to talk to me

If you want to talk to me, you can call me at home.
    We do have one of those new fangled answering machines if Im out shooting
    Be very happy, people would get to be people again.

Proud Member of the Howdy Doody club

My Fav Mouseketeer

We got to say goodbye to REAL AMERICA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNK5K...ayer_embedded#!
    Last edited by Lead Fred; 04-20-2010 at 10:05 AM.
    I have sworn on the altar of GOD eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.
    Thomas Jefferson

" Any law that is NOT constitutional is not a law" James Madison

Black Powder 100%

Livingston, La. 20 miles east of Baton Rouge, La.
    It would go back to those sweet days of our youth. In my freshman year of high school I had my first real girlfriend. My family was poor and we never had a home phone the entire time I was growing up. I would walk to the Post Office at night and call her from a pay phone for the charge of one nickel. On the other side of the coin is the fact that many lives has been saved because of our modern inventions. We have to take the bad with the good. How many people have been saved because they had a phone. I am a former cop and remember you had to drive miles in the rual areas to find a phone. I also hate the fact that people are driving and using these phones. I have one but if I need to call I pull over.
    Shooter of the "HOLY BLACK" SASS 81802 AKA FAIRSHAKE; NRA ; BOLD; WARTHOG;Deadwood Marshal;Bayou Bounty Hunter; So That his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat; 44 WCF filled to the top, 210 gr. bullet

Thonotosassa, Florida/ Pensacola, N. Carolina
    I am only 59 YO so I have seen some of the evolution that communication has taken. I truly love the internet with the ability to get information almost instantly, to find and buy articles that I desire so swiftly and easily, but on the other hand, I sometimes wish that things were not so complex. That things were like it was in the good ole days.
    "The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man -- and give some back."
    Al Swearengen, from "Deadwood"

Boolit Grand Master

Where our governors, congressmen AND THEIR WIVES make our license plates
    Just old enough to remember my cousin pulling out a cord at the phone office and plugging it in saying HI Milly who do you want to talk to. Hold on. Pulling out the matching cord plugging it in and the call was completed.

I also remember when Minnesota had some of the tallest mountains around.

Beekeeper
    I am not sure but think I missed dying by a fraction of a second.
    I was able to hit the brakes or she would have hit me in the drivers side door.
    As it was she took out most of the engine compartment and the entire right hand front of her van Police said from the sideways skid marks of my car she was doing about 60 in a 25 mile per hour school zone.
    I'm ok but what if it had been a school kid there instead of my car?

Part I am mad about is she still after all the fuss was over thought it was my fault and didn't understand why she was ticketed!

Oh well I will get a new Mini out of the deal.
    Hey mine was an 06 with 4000 miles on it ( completely worn out you know)

Jim

In Remembrance

Old enough to remember the oak crank wall phone we finally got on the farm. I still remember the operator`s name was Marge and our number was Ring 213 on our party line. It would really be an endurance to try and stuff that big hunk of oak into your pocket and lug it around just so you could call somebody to ask "What`cha doing"?Robert

Boolit Master
    There have always been self-absorbed, irresponsible, disrespectful, and discourteous people who expect others to look out for them, and the cell-phone has made them and their socially irritating and potentially dangerous traits visible for everyone else to see.

In California, it is unlawful to use a cell-phone while driving. Since the law went into effect, I've seen no decrease in the number of people using one while driving. The state could erase its $20 billion deficit if the law were to be vigorisly enforced...along with the anti loud car stereo law.

Beekeeper, glad to hear that you were not injured.

Boolit Master

One thing that bothers me is there are so many out there that have the same attitude as the gal that hit you. Seems to me Mom and Dad didn't teach their young one what responsible behavior is. Technology is a great slave but a poor master.

Edd
    Charter member Michigan liars club!

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in Government." -- Thomas Jefferson

"Consider the clown(s) just one of God's little nettles in the woods, don't let it detract from the beauty. Sooner or latter you are going to run into the nettles regardless of how careful you are."

Beware of man who types much, but says nothing.

North Central Montana; across the wide Missouri
    We got a telephone in 1949, Mountain Bell ran the line in about 3 miles to the ranch house. Utah Power finally ran a power line in to the ranch in 1950. The house was wired for electricity in the 20's and my grandfather installed a Delco Plant in the shed outside so we had some DC electricity before 1950. Mostly we used kerosene lamps and lanterns in the house and both barns. We had indoor plumbing because the house was gravity fed water down off the mountain to the north of the ranch. The house is still in use and the plumbing and electrical has been updated. Eastern Idaho.

Boolit Buddy
    I remember my grandparents getting a phone way out in rural OK. It was a party line and us kids were not allowed to touch it.There were always women talking on it and if you needed to call out you had to ask them to use it politely.Had to been my aunts or cousins and you were never rude because you would be found out and punished accordingly(usually a limber peach switch applied liberally). If you held your ear real close to the phone you could hear them talk,but you made sure you didn't get caught or the peach switch came out.
    My kids got me my first cell phone because I had a habit of disappearing for days at a time on my motorcycle after I got divorced.They would come by my house and call and I would not be home.So they got together and bought me phone. I would usually leave it off and call them at night to let them know I was ok.,but the idea was to get away for a while.

Boolit Master

Beekeeper, the person who hit you has a bad case of cranial fecalosis (an infestation of fecal matter in the brain) and prognosis is poor - probably can't be cured. Glad you are OK.
    Echo
    USAF Ret
    DPS, 2600
    NRA Benefactor
    O&U
    One of the most endearing sights in the world is the vision of a naked good-looking woman leaving the bedroom to make breakfast. Bolivar Shagnasty (I believe that Lazarus Long also said it, but I can't find any record of it.)

Boolit Master
    I could do with less fast pace and less technology. Except this site and my reloading bookmarks. I have learned more here than I think I ever would have going to the library.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Beekeeper View Post
    What do you think would happen if it all went away and we had to do it the old fashoned way?

Jim
    I would like for people to just function with common sense...................today people just don't click the way they use to (responsible, collected, and respectful). I work with college students and these (many of them) kids just do not get it. It seems like everything is given to them and they haven't had to work for anything. "When the going gets tough, the tough gets going", is where I came from and we just put our head down and worked through everything. Now it's more like this, "When the tough gets going, stop and complain about it and find someone else to figure it out".

I had a kid the other day texting while I was trying to talk with him.............I told him to simply come back when he had time to sit down and talk with me. He looked confused and I told him that I would not compete with his phone as what I had to tell him was information he would need to become something, somebody one day.

Boolit Master
    I am a school crossing guard and see the "phone" bit all the time, they can't see and talk at the same time I swear. More than once I have had to pull children back because the driver was on the phone and can't see a red florescent flag or vest. It surely isn't because I am so little I am over 6' and 250# and I am 71.

Lead Fred Said ------

"Range? No phone, no range, the Cascade mountains was our range

Dont know never had to text. "Hello" still works if you want to talk to me

If you want to talk to me, you can call me at home.
    We do have one of those new fangled answering machines if Im out shooting
    Be very happy, people would get to be people again.

Proud Member of the Howdy Doody club

My Fav Mouseketeer

We got to say goodbye to REAL AMERICA"

I was madly in love with Annette, heart broken when she got too old to be a mousekateer, but I got over it. I remember when Skyking had a Cessna 310 instead of the Twin Beech, My Dad had an old Aeronica Champ, it got smashed by a tornado in '68 when I was in 'Nam.

Larry
    Last edited by excavman; 04-20-2010 at 09:55 PM.

Banned

We had a rotary dial phone and were on a party line when I was a kid.......

If its any consolation the mobile "problem" is just as bad here in the UK.
    There have been a couple of high profile accidents involving the the death of folk and the subsequent jailing of the "killer". Driving and using one is illegal here.
    You see plenty of people using them though.
    No phone call is that important,especially when driving.
    The woman in the OP`s message is a selfish bi**h.
    Glad you werent hurt.
    Tony

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by frankenfab View Post
    We had a rotary dial phone and were on a party line when I was a kid.......
    WOW, I had forgotten, but . . . Me too!

I only have a cell phone because my job (local school) gives me one to carry for their use . . . illegal to use while driving a bus . . . I let it ring, and if it is convenient I stop and answer it, or I let them leave a message, and I get it the next stop . . .
    John 3: 16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

Banned

in the paper today there were two people killed in a head on car wreck.

One was 81 and the other was 18. The 18yr old had to cross a divided median section of concrete in the road to hit the on coming car.

No alcohol or drugs found in the 18yr olds system. I'd bet the young driver was texting and lost control.

tradgic.

I remember before cell phones. I also never remember needing to talk to anyone unless I was at home and a phone was handy.