Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyWideners
Lee PrecisionLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Inline Fabrication
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is Casting an "Old Mans" GIG?

I got into muzzle loading when I was 19. Found out quick that I had to cast for my .58 caliber Zouave and .44 Remington and Colt 1860 revolvers. When I turned twenty-one and bought my first .45 M1911, I almost had a shock at the cost of 50 rounds of Winchester Hardball.

That's when I started to reload, cast my own and save all the brass I could get my hands on.

Now at 57 I have more molds than I need and more lead than I'll ever use. Buying propane can be a bit of a jolt sometimes.

When I was in college at Chico State in Northern California, I discovered reloading, thanks to a friendly gun shop owner who allowed the use of his equipment, for the cost of supplies. Later on, in my thirties, my stepfather showed me how to cast, and let me use his equipment. I was astonished at how well the cast bullets shot in an ordinary rifle! Now, at age 57, I am still looking to borrow equipment. My beloved wife has forbidden me to cast at our home, now that we have a grandchild, but a friend said he will allow the use of his old sinker-casting setup, in his shop. Some things never change.

Boolit Bub

Not an old man's gig

I am only 37, and been casting for 5+years, for me it's about cost and making a rifle shoot properly and accurately. Sometimes something you can't do with a J word.

Also at the moment, I am a full time student, so cost is a major factor whilst on a very limited budget.

Chrispy

Boolit Master
    Toooooo bad WRiderout!

Sounds like you wife has bought into a bunch of the incorrect hipe of Califunnyia.

The greenies are really doing a number to the rest of us!

Think I'll go into the loading room and poison myself some more.

Keep em coming!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

Boolit Master
    As someone noted above, I think reloading and casting are evidence of an attitude of self-sufficiency. Sure, having time and patience are necessary, but I'll bet for most of us it's the feeling we get knowing we can turn a grimy wheelweight into an accurate bullet and an empty case someone discarded at the range into a loaded round. We probably also are more likely to try to fix something ourselves (knowing my limits) not only because we're not afraid to try, but because we grew up in a world where things could be fixed; everything wasn't cheaply made and disposable. We're also more likely to tie flies, make fishing rods, and do other things for ourselves even if we can afford to go to our favorite catalog or website and buy it. Welcome to you younger people; someone's going to have to buy my reloading and casting gear from my sons because neither of them are into it. There's hope yet for one of them-he's a handy sort who's not afraid to do something himself.

Boolit Master

In '84 I retired from the NYCPD and put away my revolvers. In '86 I started carry again in Vermont (love that state...no laws against ccw). Moved to NM in '89 and once again carried for a local PD. Quit that and drove a cab and carried for self protection.

Moved to Vegas in '93 and started serious shooting in '95 with my pair of .38's. In '97 I started to cast boolits and reload as the cost of ammo was getting too high. I have not looked back since.

Now the two revolvers have morphed into a full Canon Gun Safe of weapons including a 50-90 Sharps BPCR. It has been a great ride. It started when I was 6 and my first .22. I started reloading and casting at 53 and I have introduced many into the sport. Less recently since ww's are getting tough to find and I have introduced too many casters and the competition has increased somewhat.

I guess I am just selfish. The last big score of lead was a demolition of an x ray facility and we scored about 3000 lbs of pure lead. Good for BPCR but not so good for my 9 mm and 45's.
    Pax Nobiscum Dan (Crash) Corrigan

Currently casting, reloading and shooting: 223 Rem, 6.5x55 Sweede, 30 Carbine, 30-06 Springfield, 30-30 WCF, 303 Brit., 7.62x39, 7.92x57 Mauser, .32 Long, 32 H&R Mag, 327 Fed Mag, 380 ACP. 9x19, 38 Spcl, 357 Mag, 38-55 Win, 41 Mag, 44 Spcl., 44 Mag, 45 Colt, 45 ACP, 454 Casull, 457 RB for ROA and 50-90 Sharps. Shooting .22 LR & 12 Gauge seldom and buying ammo for same.

Boolit Mold
    I started in 1960, my Dad was the Chief of Police of the small town we lived in and at that time they had a Police Pistol Team of 4 policemen and Sheriffs Deputies that traveled around and competed throughout the summer. I was always bugging my Dad to let me learn to reload for them. When I turned 13 my Dad decided that I could cast, lube and size the bullets they used for the practice rounds. As time went on and he learned to trust me, he taught me to reload. After a while, they got so they would pay me a penny a piece loaded. I thought I was rich. Long time ago.

Randy

Multiply that by 2!

Quote Originally Posted by RodneyUSAF View Post
    All is not lost friends. I'm 28 and I enjoy casting. I'm an oddball I guess, but I have always enjoyed the company of my elders and making things with my hands. Casting is a perfect fit.
    Im with you friend!! Love the hands on, casting and pan lubing! I also have respect for my elders, you have to listen to them they have often "been there before"
    Woops! Im 38!!
    THE ONLY WAY YOU CAN HIT THE CENTRE OF THE TARGET IS WITH A CENTREFIRE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Crusty Deary Ol'Coot View Post
    Good to hear from all you young whipper snappers!!!!!!!!!!!!

I started reloading in the 60s, and casting not very long after that, BUT, this Ol'Coot just started casting 45/70 bullets with the thought in mind of using cast rifle bullets for hunting.

Even an ol'dog can still learn a new trick or two if given time.

Now if I just had a 4 year old to help me with this POOTER!
    Keep em coming!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
    Good on ya! Get into it!!
    THE ONLY WAY YOU CAN HIT THE CENTRE OF THE TARGET IS WITH A CENTREFIRE!!!

I'm 27. Started 3 years ago.
    They can take my guns when they get past my IED's.

I just turned 30 and have been casting a few years now. I keep trying to get my wife to help pour, but she won't.

I think it's great as a hobby and if people were more open and listened they wouldn't be so scared of it. I think it's hilarious that people get afraid of lead when it comes time to melt it for bullets, but don't care or think about it when soldering pipes or electronics.

I was told 5-6 years ago when i started shooting defensive pistol that i would need to start reloading-i said naww,after i started reloading they said i would need to start casting-i said nawww.well here i am,its occupied my entire winter.now my name is Jim,I am a boolit addict!

Boolit Buddy
    I'll be 40 this year and I started casting for the Muzzle loader cause I couldn't afford both powder and boolits about 20+ years ago. A friend gave me a mold to use if I cast 2 to 1 for myself and him.
    Today my daughter came out to the garage and express an interest in trying to cast instead of just watching. Tomorrow will be her first run at it. She is 13 years old. My son 17 has also expressed an interest in casting. Both of them help reload.
    Watch out folks another generation of WW horders is getting ready to cast their own.

I'm soon to be 28, and I've been casting for roughly 6 months. I began reloading two years ago, shortly after I purchased my first handgun. I thoroughly enjoy casting, and I intend to continue making boolits for the rest of my natural days on earth.
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." – Benjamin Franklin

Boolit Master
    If there were ever two things that went well together, it's retiring and casting. You have all the time in the world to do it right!
    Qajaq59

One slow hit is better then 500 quick misses. "It ain't the noise that kills 'em!!!!"

Boolit Buddy
    I started reloading for my rifles and pistols and casting for my muzleloaders when I was a teenager in the late 70s but time to do this got replaced with other intrests....
    chasing women, rodeos, the beer truck, and 80/90 hour work weeks...now at age 47 with my two oldest sons(who also like to shoot) are raised life has slowed down enough for me to get back into reloading 5 years ago and started casting my own last summer when one of my cousins dropped off an old lead melting pot at the house because he thought I might be able to use it.

I've been shooting since 1974,reloading since 1992 and in the last 6 months decided to start casting at 51. I'll tell ya I'm having a great time casting and learning to perfect my skills at it too.
    Fellas on the chat group here have been very helpful. I just wonder why I didn't do this earlier. Old mans gig? I don't think so, definitely a smarter way to shoot.

Boolit Master

I'm only 60 and I cast.

Skeet1

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by frankenfab View Post
    It is a pleasure to be a member of a community such as this. Wouldn't it be neat if we could just all start our own "Cast Boolits" town?
    It'd better be right on top of a lead mine.
    Come and take them, Boolits first.
    Zombie hunter, Lic# 3006

Frosted Boolits

I'm 27 and have been casting for a little over a year. I still cringe when I see the little j-words....
    My Feedback : http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...iscoyotehunter

An armed society is a polite society.

the BB knows