WidenersLoad DataLee PrecisionRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Snyders Jerky

Thread: Is this leading?

Boolit Buddy

Is this leading?

Hi fellow casters.
    I recently bought a slightly used gun, and saw some marks in the beginning of the barrel. The marks make a similar pattern in all grooves around the barrel, and they're about half an inch long. They have the shape of a spear tip or something similar. Could the barrel be damaged somehow?

Your tool marks on the lands look about normal for some makes of firearms. If you get a lead build up you can easly polish them out. Shoot the gun, see what happens. The marks in the grooves are what you talking about i guess, dont know about them?? You can see photos of leading and barrels here, about 5 or 6 pages of stuff. http://photobucket.com/joe1944usa
    Last edited by 243winxb; 03-27-2010 at 10:44 AM. Reason: corrected link i hope?

Boolit Grand Master
    Leading has more of a smear look combined with build up. Weird tool marks.

SHiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Your 2nd photo shows the marks better. They should not be there, but shooting with lead bullets will tell you if its a problem. If lead builds up in that area, it can be polished out i would guess. Accuracy would be another clue.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks for the replies. I tried to srape out some lead with a sharp brass rod, but the barrel seemed clean. It actually seems like those marks are scratched into the barrel itself. What could have caused such a thing? The strange thing is that the marks are in every groove, and it looks almost identical all the way around.
    If I want to polish it out, how do I do that? Unfortunately I don't have any ammo for this gun yet, still waiting for sizing dies. Factory bullets and ammo are not for sale here. So for now I can't test if it will lead or lead to accuracy problems.

With the owners permission that link should be made into a stick tons of valuable pictures there
    VOTE 2016! Throw them out! Every last one of them
    "Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you:
    1. Jesus Christ
    2. The American Soldier
    One died for your soul, the other for your freedom."
    My Signature is dedicate to the Good Lord and My Hero Sons friends who died in Afghanistan

Looks to me like the tool marks left from the rifling groove broach tool as they go in the direction the tool would scrape in. Just a thought but you could call the manufacturer and ask them.

They look like something that happened to the reamer at manufacturing. I'd call the company and tell them the barrel is mess up and see if they will replace it. Being it sounds like you are the second owner, they may or may not comply with your wishes.
    Ohio Rusty ><>
    "This is America !!, where many have fought and died for our right
    to celebrate our views with inflatable creatures in our yards ......."

First i would not do a thing till i know i have a problem like leading in that area. I have polished the lands but never the groove. Using "Pearl Drops" on a tight patch.Yes its tooth paste. lol. Google "fire lapping" or look at this link. http://www.davidtubb.com/finalfinish.html Some make there own home made.
    What could have caused such a thing?
    Some one using the wrong tools like>
    I tried to srape out some lead with a sharp brass rod,

Quote Originally Posted by Scrapper View Post
    Looks to me like the tool marks left from the rifling groove broach tool as they go in the direction the tool would scrape in. Just a thought but you could call the manufacturer and ask them.

Yes, It looks like broach chatter.

Do not fear the enemy, for your enemy can only take your life. It is far better that you fear the media, for they will steal your honor. That awful power, the public opinion of a nation, is created in America by a horde of ignorant, self-complacent simpletons who failed at ditching and shoemaking and fetched up in journalism on their way to the poorhouse. Mark Twain

I'm glad to see you agree Marlin Hunter. It also looks to me like the barrel on that revolver is like new condition.....Nice Picture BTW Humbo.

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by Humbo View Post
    What could have caused such a thing? The strange thing is that the marks are in every groove, and it looks almost identical all the way around.
    If those marks penetrate into the steel, they must have been made by something quite 'hard', or applied with considerable force, or both.

It is the kind of damage I would worry about causing when using a home-grown fire lapping procedure...or when attempting to 'shoot leading out' with jacketed bullets.

However, in one of those cases, I would expect similar damage on the lands, as well.

CM
    Retired...TWICE. Now just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.

Try soaking the barrel in SHOOTER choice lead removal over night. Then in the morning clean it out if it is lead it will come out of there.
    VOTE 2010! Throw them out! Every last one of them! (Feel free to add this to your sig. Spread the word!) I got this from AZ Stew

Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician - Col Jeff Cooper

Boolit Master
    Shoot the gun first to determine if you even have a problem.

Boolit Buddy
    Will shoot is as soon as dies arrive and see if there's a problem at all. Been waiting for dies from Magma for more than one month now, from now on I'll get my dies from other sources.