Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationMCD Products

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need powder puff load .44 mag

Boolit Master

Need powder puff load .44 mag

I'm looking for a load suggestion for a 'powder puff' load for my Ruger SBH .44 mag under either a 245 or 265 gr boolit. The kids want to use the mag handgun, but have quickly tired from its kick.

I was thinking of 2400 powder, but if someone has a different suggestion, I'm all ears.

By the way, should I expect the POA to shift significantly up to 25 yds?

Thanks

Randy

Moderator Emeritus

I'd just use 44 special data and the lightest boolit you have for the 44. that should produce a nice soft load.
    Reloading Data Project - (in retirement)
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/reloadersrfrnce/

Consult your reloading manual but Unique in the neighborhood of 8 grains for the 245gr slug makes a good plinker.

I've also used 7grains of Bullseye with the 245gr with good enough accuracy for cans at 25yds.

(note, my 245's come out 253 with lube and gas check)
    Last edited by the_ursus; 03-24-2010 at 12:54 PM.

Boolit Master
    Trail Boss would be ideal for this, although I've used 6 grains of Clays with 200 grain Lasercast RNFPs for light plinkers with good results. Personally, I'd stick with powders like 231 or faster.

You might want to use .44 special brass because they'll be a little more efficient with light powder charges.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by the_ursus View Post
    Consult your reloading manual but Unique in the neighborhood of 8 grains for the 245gr slug makes a good plinker.

)
    YES!! 8.0-9.5g unique will most likely be a keeper!

Since you have two boolits to try you will just have to try em and see how the POI shifts. Hopefully with a least one of your boolits the change will only be a couple of inches vertically. It all depends on your current load, bbl length, and other factors I don't understand fully. So you will have to just have to try it and see.

In Remembrance / Boolit Grand Master 45 2.1's Avatar
    Little Egypt, Part of the political fifedom of Chicago
    7.0 gr. of Green Dot........... give it a try...........you'll be surprised how nice and accurate it is, and suitable for kids (I believe).
    45 2.1

Knowledge without understanding is a dangerous thing. For a little knowledge entices us to walk its path, a bit more provides the foundation on which we take our stand, and a sufficient amount can erect a wall of knowledge around us, trapping us in our own ignorance.

Never sleep, never die

Knowledge is easy to get, but worthless if you never use it. However the info is free, so the only person you have to blame is yourself if you chose not to use the information.

Boolit Grand Master

Those 7-8 gr of Unique will be a good bit of a thump for a kid. I'd be much more
    inclined to use a 180 gr and about 4 gr to 5 gr of Titegroup or Bullseye or Red Dot, something
    fast and very insensitive to position in the case. Make it very light, the kid will NOT miss
    recoil and blast, and WILL enjoy it more if it is like a popgun. Less is more in this case.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

I think we used 11gr green dot with a 240gr FN and it was boring at 1100fps
    I have sworn on the altar of GOD eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.
    Thomas Jefferson

" Any law that is NOT constitutional is not a law" James Madison

Boolit Master

Talking

I agree with MtGun44 on less is more. I would be inclined to try some Trailboss or use this as an excuse too get a 22lr revolver and pistol.

Boolit Master

Exclamation

Check http://www.alliantpowder.com under hangun data and Unique powder there are some reall nice loads there, I shoot the 225 gr cast bullet with 11 grs of Unique.
    In my Marlin 1894 this is a fun plinking load and very accurate.
    U S Navy Retired. NRA Lifetime Member. NMLA. SASS Member Time magazine Person of the year 2006

Boolit Master
    Doc, I agree that .22's are great for kids (have some - kids and .22's) but they want to use the BIG GUN. Only problem with the BIG GUN is the big recoil My 12yr old son was getting interested in what I was doing in the garage (casting/loading) and even cast about 50 '38's, but never loaded them with me.... unfortunately XBox 360 came around. Now he's interested in my 44 Mag, so I want to start him off light and see if he wants to spend more time with me casting and or loading his own.

Boolit Master
    I broke my hand years ago. I shot a 240 gr boolit over the starting load of 2400 for a 44 spl. in a redhawk. I CANT RECALL the charge! 10-12 gr of 2400 or something like that. It shot well and mild. LOOK IT UP it should be easy to find.
    NRA LIFER .. "THE CAST BULLET HANDLOADER IS THE ONLY ONE THAT REALLY MAKES ANY OF HIS AMMUNITION. OTHERS MEARLY ASSEMBLE IT". -E.H. HARRISON

----------------------
    "Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."
    Thomas Jefferson
    ------
    "Government is not a solution to our problem, government is the problem."
    -- Ronald Reagan

Boolit Master
    ""unfortunately XBox 360 came around""

I HEARD THAT ONE!
    NRA LIFER .. "THE CAST BULLET HANDLOADER IS THE ONLY ONE THAT REALLY MAKES ANY OF HIS AMMUNITION. OTHERS MEARLY ASSEMBLE IT". -E.H. HARRISON

----------------------
    "Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."
    Thomas Jefferson
    ------
    "Government is not a solution to our problem, government is the problem."
    -- Ronald Reagan

Boolit Master in Heaven's Range
    First, reduce boolit weight. Use 180 - 200 grains at most.

Second, use .44 Spl. brass to make best use of the powder. Magnum brass requires more powder to achieve the same velocity as book-listed .44 Spl. loads.

Third, study your manuals for a powder that gives the velocity you want with the smallest charge. Powder weight adds to the projectile weight when computing recoil.

Those three things together will give you the lightest recoil.

Regards,

Stew
    Sig file change:
    "Obi Wan Baloney"
    VOTE 2012! Throw them out! Every last one of them! (Feel free to add this to your sig. Spread the word!)

"...Get a rope." Pace Picante Sauce commercial, ca. 1984

"I (did, on several occasions) swear to support and defend the Constitution of the United States, against ALL enemies, foreign AND domestic, and to bear true faith and allegiance to the same." And when I left, they never asked me to recant.

Boolit Master

I agree with the chief, I also have a 205 gr swc I cast up years ago very nice in the 44 spl or mag
    ghh3rd PM me your address and I'll send you a hundred or so to try out.
    U S Navy Retired. NRA Lifetime Member. NMLA. SASS Member Time magazine Person of the year 2006

Boolit Master
    yeppers, Green Dot and a 200 grainer.
    It ain't rocket science, it's boolit science.

The older Speer manuals (like #11) used to list gallery loads that used a lead round ball & a small charge of fast powder, like 231 or Bullseye. They were real powder puffs. I think that muzzle velocity was around 650fps when I tried them.
    “an armed society is a polite society.”
    Robert A. Heinlein

"Idque apud imperitos humanitas vocabatur, cum pars servitutis esset."
    Publius Tacitus

Boolit Master

Talking

Try this link. http://www.castpics.net/ and look under under articles contributed by members.

Boolit Bub
    44 Cal Mav Dutchman Big Lube®LLC boolit over a compressed charge of FFFg Holy Black. It won't jar yer hand, it'll shoot great all day and it gives a true "Old West" feeling.

Come to the Darkside friend. The rewards are great.

DD-DLoS

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Highwall View Post
    I agree with MtGun44 on less is more. I would be inclined to try some Trailboss or use this as an excuse too get a 22lr revolver and pistol.
    +3 On using TrailBoss. No chance of double charging and you can't overload it.
    If you are going to make a hole in something. MAKE IT A BIG ONE!