Load DataLee PrecisionInline FabricationReloading Everything
RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
Wideners RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dustpan for brass collecting brass at the range

Dustpan for brass collecting brass at the range

My local indoor range has gotten rid of their dustpans for scooping up brass. I thought I would get a small dust pan and whisk broom to take with me. As I was thinking about this I thought about drilling some holes in the dust pan or trying to cut some slots in it to cut down on the dust and .22's. Has anyone else tried this and if so what size holes, slots, etc. are best. Or does something like this already exist and i just haven't found it yet?

Jeff

Boolit Master

I just made up a super-duper-scooper. I shot about twenty or thirty holes through the dust pan with my .22.
    EW

22s dont make clean holes in a metal pan or plastic

in plastic you can use a soldering iron to melt holes in a plastic one then chip off the little melty sprue

for metal you deill small holes then have to use a needle nose pliers to remove the burr

Super Moderator

............I'd take the 22 also. Brass is brass, and it has a value either to the scrap dealer or possibly a guy who has a hobby foundry.

..............Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Boolit Master

Doubtful you'll find a dustpan full of holes. Dustpans with holes don't collect a lot of dust ...Ray
    Proud member in the basket of deplorables.

I've got the itch, but don't got the scratch.

Moderator Emeritus
    We use a normal dustpan and then pour the brass and dust onto a 1/4" hardware cloth screen with a frame. The dust falls through, the brass does not.

John

Quote Originally Posted by RayinNH View Post
    Doubtful you'll find a dustpan full of holes. Dustpans with holes don't collect a lot of dust ...Ray
    Now that is funny, made my day!

The local range has brooms so I've been sweeping into a pile and with my hands scoop the brass into a rag. Am I breaking some sort of etiquette rule here? My wife has mentioned I need improvement in areas like this but if I hear it from bullet casters/shooters I might have to rethink my priorities! LOL

Yes my hands do get dirty, but I decided I didn't care and could washem if a wipe on the pants (or the other rag I carry) wasn't good enough.

My solution when the 2 rags got kinda dirty was to start carrying a 3rd rag. Gotta keep it simple and not overthink things.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by garandsrus View Post
    We use a normal dustpan and then pour the brass and dust onto a 1/4" hardware cloth screen with a frame. The dust falls through, the brass does not.

John
    That's what we do.

Boolit Buddy

How about using one of the scoops that are available for cleaning out the kitty litter?
    A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America " for an amount of "up to and including my life."

Boolit Master
    Just a thought, but revolvers have a gentlemanly trait of keeping their brass of the grass, so you don't have to stoop, snoop and scoop.
    "Time and money don't do you a bit of good until you spend them." - My Dad

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by prgallo View Post
    My solution when the 2 rags got kinda dirty was to start carrying a 3rd rag.
    I have to admire a guy who can carry three rags and keep them all figured out.

Me...I need to concentrate for twenty minutes before I go out in public and try to gum, and chew walk, at the same time.
    I was doing that once...gumming while I concentrating on adding the chew walk part...when my mind was blown by a guy throwing out two unexpected questions. He asked, "Whattaya have on? Your mind?"

I blurted out, "Yellow...because motorcycles don't have doors!" but then realized he was talking to his wife by a previous marriage, who was on the rag about somebody shooting holes in her dustpan...as I said before (or meant to).

CM
    Retired...TWICE. Now just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.

Thanks for the replies,

I normally shoot revolvers but periodically I like to shoot my 52-2, 745, and 226 X-5.
    The cat scoop sounds like a good idea, but I think I'll get a small cheap dust pan and cut a slot in it. I'll then staple a piece of hardware cloth over the slot.

Thanks for the suggestions,

Jeff

Boolit Master
    Now you guys have got me thinking. The local hardware store has a set with a dustpan with a long handle and a broom that is about 3 feet long. These look like the ones that were used to pick up cigarette butts and are about $15 for the set. When you pick up the dust pan it swivels so the trash can't fall out. I'm thinking about cutting out most of the back end (the part that is down when it has swiveled) and putting in hardware cloth to cover the opening. This way I would keep the brass and the rocks would fall through the mesh.

How can I improve on this?
    Some times it's the pot,
    Some times it's the pan,
    It might even be the skillet,
    But, most of the time, it's the cook.

Boolit Master
    Saw a fellow at the range last week with a clever item he had made to pick up brass. It was a PVC pipe (2" ?) about 3' long. He had stretched two small springs accros the end about 1/4" apart. As he pushed the springs against a case it would snap up into the pipe. Went pretty quick too.

Boolit Master

I sweep up everything
    I made a sifter to fit in tne trash can
    Out of 1/4" hardware cloth

Sweep up everything
    Dump it into the screen and shake a little
    Catches most 22LR brass and everything larger

I then dump the brass into my 5 gallon range bucket and head home to sort

John
    Yea, thou I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; for thou art with me; Thy rod and thy staff, they comfort me.
    And I carry a LOADED Hell Cat

Boolit Grand Master

I pick brass up out in the desert allot and it does have allot of dirt and dust. I took an old plastic bucket and drilled a bunch of 1/4" holes in it. I would shake it as I walked and it got rid of most the dust.
    Aim small, miss small!

Quote Originally Posted by ghh3rd View Post
    Saw a fellow at the range last week with a clever item he had made to pick up brass. It was a PVC pipe (2" ?) about 3' long. He had stretched two small springs accros the end about 1/4" apart. As he pushed the springs against a case it would snap up into the pipe. Went pretty quick too.
    Very clever. No bending over needed.

Boolit Buddy
    I use one of these.
    Kinda pricey, but it works. No bending over, no sweeping. Just roll it over the brass. Works great as long as you're not worried about picking up the little rimfire brass.
    Don't have to worry about dust, small rocks, etc.

http://hitfactorshooting.com/category.sc?categoryId=18

Boolit Master
    Hay I have one of those! Its made for picking up pecans! I will have to get another! Also they make a cheep red one that doesnt roll. I bet it would work also....Buck
    NRA LIFER .. "THE CAST BULLET HANDLOADER IS THE ONLY ONE THAT REALLY MAKES ANY OF HIS AMMUNITION. OTHERS MEARLY ASSEMBLE IT". -E.H. HARRISON

----------------------
    "Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."
    Thomas Jefferson
    ------
    "Government is not a solution to our problem, government is the problem."
    -- Ronald Reagan