Load DataTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyLee Precision
WidenersInline FabricationRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2

Thread: siamese mauser problem

Boolit Master

siamese mauser problem

I have a 348, on a siamese mauser action. I did not get the follower, spring, and floor plate, with it. numrich sold me a plate, with instructions how to grind a notch in it. recoil is dropping it. the regular mauser follower is too narrow and won't feed. I remember seeing a follower spring for a siamese that had hinge pins and wire springs, instead of being bent like a normal mauser follower. has anybody ever seen this. does anybody know where to get the correct parts or do I have to get creative? another question, I'm trying paper patching a 220 grain, 338 bullet up to 348. 58 grains of 852 is looking like it will get the pressure, but I am wondering if the 348 twist will stabilize the 338 bullet. I can probably drive it at least 2400. what is the twist on a 338? daryl

Boolit Buddy
    I can't really comment on the follower problem. Sorry.

As to the twist rates:

The 348 Winchester in the model 71 had a 1 in 12" twist. But considering the rebarrel of your Mauser, you may want to check your twist to see what it actually is, since the various barrel makers can have their own offerings.

The factory 338 twist depended upon the maker, as both 1 in 10" and 1 in 12" were used.
    Savage, Winchester, and Ruger used 1 in 10".
    Browning used 1 in 12". Also, I think the Sako used 1 in 12" (never worked on one of them).
    These are older guns I have worked with, but I see no reason why they would be obscenely different today.

You're probably fine unless you shoot one of the really long 338 bullets above 250 gr. Something around 225 sounds like a good starter. That's assuming you have a 1 in 12" or better twist.

Boolit Bub
    Flounderman,On the instuctions to grind notch on follower if that's to help feed rimmed cartridge. Maybe try to put cartridge in with one rim in front of the other.It worked in siamise a friend had. Flinter62

Boolit Bub
    Flounderman, Try here for parts Springflied Sporters in Pa. 724-254-2626 They may have it.

Boolit Master

siamese mauser floor platte

the floorplate numrich had was like a normal floorplate in front, but was just flat in the rear. instructions were to grind a notch in the floorplate to straddle the floorplate release lever in the trigger bow. I can fix the floorplate so it will stay in, but the follower is too narrow. I was hopeing to find the right one. the measurements of the right one would help, if anyone has one. Daryl

I broke the spring in mine and after trying a standard Mauser, (didn't work well with the slanted magazine) I tore apart one of the box magazines for a clip fed Enfield and fitted that one sucessfully.
    If Obummer is the answer, How stupid was the question?

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. -----Ronald Reagan