RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingRepackbox
Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyMCD Products

Thread: Anyone ever try the lee TL356-124-2r mold for the 38SPL?? I did.

Boolit Mold

Anyone ever try the lee TL356-124-2r mold for the 38SPL?? I did.

I tried this .356 mold for my .38 as some guys said they worked great. The only data I could find was for .358 125gr cast. I used 3.8gr of HP-38. They only flew around 200 FPS??!??!?
    Any ideas?? Powder? load?
    Tried it through my black hawk 357 and my Rossi 38 and the result was the same.

I can't find anything on here about people using this mold for .38 SPL.

I shoot a 125g RFP out of mine with 4.6 grains of HP38. Certainly going a lot faster than 200fps. Are you getting any leading, might be some blow by with that bullet. My GP100 slugs at .358 and you mold which I use in 9mm throws as cast at .358. Bullet may be letting a lot of gas out, but you should see some leading.
    "And finally, the Baby Bear looked and he said, "Somebody's sleeping in my bed, and the bastard's still there!" But Goldylocks had a Remington semi-automatic, with a scope and a hair-trigger!"

Boolit Master
    I am shooting the 356-120TC in my 357 GP-100, so far the result are very promising. Using 8.5 grns of Winchester 540.
    Paul G.
    Once I was young, now I am old and in between went by way to fast.

The end move in politics is always to pick up a gun.
    -- R. Buckminster Fuller

Boolit Mold
    no, did not see much leading. Of course most of the trials were through a 2" pipe!
    I was only using 3.8, if you are having luck with 4.6 then I will give that a try.
    What alloy are you using? I am using 50/50 ww/pb water quenched. I recovered one of the shot boolits and it looked like it had never been fired!

Boolit Mold
    Huh, don't know why that pic did not come up. Is there a size limit?

Boolit Mold
    There we go.

I am at the same alloy as you, it may not be big enough, have you slugged your barrel? I would slug it and measure a boolit as cast. There are grooves there but from this layman it does not look like it touched the outer wall, I would have thought it would have melted the exterior though, may not in that short of a barrel. I usually size my .38 bullets at .358-.359.
    "And finally, the Baby Bear looked and he said, "Somebody's sleeping in my bed, and the bastard's still there!" But Goldylocks had a Remington semi-automatic, with a scope and a hair-trigger!"

Boolit Buddy
    Yep, looks like your getting blowby, engraving is only slight. open up the mold some.
    Have lead, Will cast

I've had good luck with both the Lee 105gr SWC and Lee 124 TL/125 non-TL 2R RN bullets in my S&W 620. Both bullets are sized .357-.3575". I shot 150 rounds of the 105's yesterday and had no leading (using LLA).

Cloudpeak