RotoMetals2RepackboxLoad DataSnyders Jerky
Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Wideners

Thread: powder for 357mag

Boolit Mold

powder for 357mag

Looking for a load using 158gr RNBBs. Powders I have on hand are 231, ZIP, and Enforcer. Any suggestions, Thanks

231 works great
    Crabo

Do not argue with idiots. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by crabo View Post
    231 works great
    next question is "How much?"

A paper loading manual is your friend.
    (Winchester says start at 6.0 gr.)

Boolit Buddy
    231 is good but you wont get full power loads, close though
    Have lead, Will cast

Boolit Buddy

2400. I hate short answers but in my opinion when discusing powder for the 357, it's all that need's be said.

^ Yupp.

Boolit Master
    My "research" on .357 fuels started in the late 70s. These days I shoot most .357s with Herco. That covers me from 900 to 1200 fps. 2400 takes me from 1100 to top end...1500 fps plus.

H110/296 doesn't have any versitility. Those two are full on or nothing. And I've found I can get more velocity with 2400 and standard primers, than H110/296 with mag primers.

Blue Dot is great for snubbie .357s and defensive loads, but I still use 2400 for that.

231 and HP-38 are good, but they don't light as easy as Herco, and Herco is less dense, fills the case better and shows less position sensitivity.

Use what you've got. When its time to buy, try Herco. Now I'll tell you Herco will vary by a tenth or two when dropping charges from a powder measure, but you will not be able to see that over a chronograph. The better metering of 231 will not give any advantage over a chronograph due to its variation shot to shot depending on where the powder is in the case when it fires.

2400 fill the case and doesn't move at all. It also meters great. I love it.
    "Time and money don't do you a bit of good until you spend them." - My Dad

Boolit Buddy
    If you're limited to the powders you mentioned I'd try the Enforcer.
    www.ramshot.com/powders says:
    "Our ballistics department is in the process of proofing the data to be posted on the Ramshot website. Please feel free to email (powder@midrivers.com) or call toll free at 1-800-497-1007 to receive a free Ramshot Load Guide. Thank you for your patience."
    Just because change doesn't make a difference doesn't mean that change is bad.

Boolit Master
    Red dot. All the way

Boolit Buddy

All of my 357's are also loaded with Herco. Find an older Lyman book and take a look at what Herco can do. I know that you stated 158gr.RNBB but I can get over 1200 fps with Lyman's 358429 (mine dropes them at 173gr.) and Herco with no preasure problems, I'm sure you could easily do the same with the 158 gr. RNBB boolit. Burns cleaner for me too than 2400.

With the powders you listed I only have experiance with 231 and that aint going to get you much power wise with the 357. Don't know anout the other two powders.

2shot

Quote Originally Posted by Butler Ford View Post
    2400. I hate short answers but in my opinion when discusing powder for the 357, it's all that need's be said.
    pretty much my thoughts on the matter.
    http://adventuresinopencarr.blogspot.com/
    even my cat has a gun
    Trust in GOD and the Mauser.

Boolit Master
    Go to the HODGDON site or freebie booklets. Start with the Cowboy Action loads and work up. My current favorite is 5.0 TITEGROUP under various 158 grain LYMAN boolits or NOE 360 180 WFN plain base.

HERCO, UNIQUE, HP38 all work well in my mid range/generic loads for various VAQUEROS and Cowboy rifles in 357 (and 44 also.) Just starting with RED DOT/PROMO and some others.

Well it depends on what you are loading for... I use 2400, have for more years than I want to count. I hunt varmits and medium sized game with mine. If you want loads for paper punching, plinking and cowboy shooting....check out what the guys are offering up that do a lot of that kind of shooting...IMHO
    Slow Elk 45/70

Praise the Lord & Pass the Ammo

Boolit Master
    I like Unique for plinking and 2400 for higher loads in my Smith M66. The more I use 2400 the more I like it!

Joe

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Jal5 View Post
    I like Unique for plinking and 2400 for higher loads in my Smith M66. The more I use 2400 the more I like it!

Joe
    Me too.

Used Blue Dot with good results as well.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

.357 with heavy boolits, 180 - 200 grn. IMR 4227 and H - 108.
    Mugs
    IHMSA 5940L
    Shoot only Cast Bullets!