MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataRotoMetals2Wideners
Snyders JerkyInline FabricationRepackboxLee Precision
Titan Reloading Reloading Everything

Thread: Ruger Auction - #3 45-70

Ruger Auction - #3 45-70

Just found this over on the Ruger site.

http://www.ruger.com/links/auction.html

We have for sale this early model, Ruger No. 3 Carbine rifle. The serial number on this rifle is 130-50080 and the test fire date is April, 27, 1983. It appears to have never been fired beyond normal testing during manufacture and has been stored in its original box along with an original "Ruger No. 3" instruction manual dated "10-8-72" and an original guarantee card. The American walnut stock is in excellent condition. These early production models were not drilled or tapped for scope mountings. It has a round top buttstock and aluminum alloy buttplate. The later production No. 3 rifles had plastic buttplates. Another unique feature of this rifle is the absence of the manual warning normally found on the top of the barrel.

Other features include the Winchester Low Wall-style trigger guard/finger lever, carbine style stock, barrel band forend attachment, and curved buttplate.

The No. 3 rifles were first introduced in 1973 and were in production through 1986. The serial numbers ranged from 130-50000 to -70344, making this one of the first .45-70 Gov't caliber models produced.

The rifle is a part of the Ruger factory collection in Southport, Connecticut, and a Certificate of Authenticity will be shipped with it to the winner of this auction.

This rifle would make a wonderful start of, or addition to, your Ruger firearm collection!

ohhh my !!! its almost 2000 dollars !!!

my brother gots one of those, sweet rifle.

I have one just like it...

I have two of them. Both are pre-warning. The most recent one I got has a lower serial number than the one described. It is in like-new condition and came with the manual, no box. I paid $425 for it about six month ago.

I like these rifles a lot, but not $2000 worth.
    That I could be wrong is an eventuality that has not escaped me. I just painted the pictures as I saw them. I do not know how to do anything else. (Saint Elmer, 1955)

Boolit Master
    Always thought I'd like to have one but never quite parted with the money.
    $2,000?!?!?!?!
    "Investment" is the new "Throw money at it!"

Detectives, and Cobras, and Agents!
    Oh my!

Boolit Master
    I looked at a new Ruger #3 in a gunshop when I was about 15 or 16 and was gonna buy it had the cash in my pocket ! This would have been about 1976 or 1977 and the rifle was $175 plus tax ! My pop talked me out of it saying the gun would kick me on my ass ! I have often wished I had another chance to get a NIB #3 in 45-70 !

But not 2G's worth of a chance !
    Parker's , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines

Boolit Master
    Heck why would I pay 2G's for a Ruger #3 even though it's kinda a collectors item when I can get a nice new Ruger #1S in 45-70 for about $850 ! Or a decent used #1S for maybe $650 - 800 !
    Parker's , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines

Boolit Master

I sold both my #3's a few years back
    I had a newer 22 Hornet and a 45/70
    Both had all the paper work and the boxs
    I got $650 and $700

But I am 99% sure my 45/70 had a brass butt plate

Maybe aftermarket ??

Hated to sell them
    But I didn't realy shoot them
    And I had bills that were over due

Oh well

IMO even with the Ruger factory letter
    It isn't worth $2000

John
    Yea, thou I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; for thou art with me; Thy rod and thy staff, they comfort me.
    And I carry a LOADED Hell Cat

Boolit Master
    I had two 45-70s and two 22 hornets in the number 3 rifles. The 45-70 were very accurate with 42 gr of 3031 and a Lyman 457124 boolit (3/4 inch three shot groups at 100 yards) The hornets were accurate too but they both would throw the last shot in a five shot group about 1 inch out of the group. I sold them all and wish I didn't.

Cast Boolits Owner

I guess they are finally selling off Bill's collection....

Robert
    "The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion."
    - Albert Camus -

I just heard (again) last night that both 30-30, and 30-40 Krag No.1's are going into production this year..... choices!

Boolit Master

Years ago I had one in .375 Winchester. Always wanting to do something different I rechambered it to .375 Epstien, shot it for a couple of years and sold it Wish I had back in it's original configuration
    Cast Boolits, Where lead balloons go over....

I've got a 223 and 375 WCF - fun little guns - tried a friends 45-70 it kicked way more off the bench than my #3 - no wonder he wanted to trade - I'll keep my Marlin in 45-70 thanks.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 6pt-sika View Post
    I looked at a new Ruger #3 in a gunshop when I was about 15 or 16 and was gonna buy it had the cash in my pocket ! This would have been about 1976 or 1977 and the rifle was $175 plus tax ! My pop talked me out of it saying the gun would kick me on my ass ! I have often wished I had another chance to get a NIB #3 in 45-70 !

But not 2G's worth of a chance !
    Your Pop is a very smart man!
    JDL

Quote Originally Posted by no_1 View Post
    I guess they are finally selling off Bill's collection....

Robert
    Those guns are not any part of Bill Ruger Sr.'s collection. They are ones that have turned up in the archives, under some Engineer's desk, or perhaps in customer service. There used to be tons of that stuff around including XGI's, and prototype guns but I guess it is about all gone now. The ones to watch for on the autions are ones that were never catalog items like a 25-06 Express Rifle. That No.3 is way, way over priced!