Inline FabricationLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Titan ReloadingRepackboxWidenersLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Boolit and primer sealing

Boolit and primer sealing

Has any one used any thing like this http://www.cabelas.com/p-0054190216569a.shtml or any other home brewed concoction on their cast boolits? Granted for most applications it is completely unnecessary and hard to justify the cost or time involved. But what if a guy did want to "water proof" them? Is there a cheaper alternative?

Nora
    If you don't have the time to do it right, when are you going to find the time to fix it?

In Remembrance / Boolit Grand Master

In my experience, it's just not needed.

Over the decades I've been handloading, some of my rounds have accidentally been run through a full cycle in the washing machine and still fired perfectly (429244 in much-used .44 Magnum brass, in one incident that I recall).

I also intentionally contaminated loaded .45 ACP rounds, also in much-used brass, with WD40 in PUDDLES on the boxed ammo's case heads. Over the five months that followed, I fired test samples of the contaminated ammunition each month. There was absolutely no degradation of performance. as compared to identical but non-contaminated ammo. WD40 is renowned to be a penetrating and primer-killing agent par excellence in popular "accepted truths". It ain't so....

If you "just have to", model paints or nail polish work fine, and the wide assortment of colors also can help with identification of loads if good records are kept. Really though, it seems that good neck tension is all that's really needed.
    Regards from BruceB in Nevada

"The .30'06 is never a mistake." - Colonel Townsend Whelen

Try a little nail polish if you really must. I haven't seen a need as of yet. Just my $.02

Ratt

Boolit Grand Master
    Yes.Clear nail polish.

Or you can go to the nail polish bargain bin and get "Tangerine" or "Tutti Frutti"
    It will all do the same thing. Never used any of this kind of product.

SHiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

In Remembrance

+1 on the nail polish, a cheap solution to a non problem.