Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionWidenersLoad DataRotoMetals2
Repackbox

Thread: Which RNFP for .357

Boolit Mold

Which RNFP for .357

I was looking forward to casting a lot of bullets with my new Lee 6 cavity 358-158-RF. Mine casts about .362-.363 and the crimp groove is virtually smeared away when sized. Any chance a another Lee will be any closer to .358?

Does anyone have a reccomendation between the RCBS and Lyman offerings?

When I was casting a lot 25 years ago, I had quality issues with some Lyman moulds. How are Lymans of recent production?

Jim

Moderator Emeritus

Return the mold to Lee, it is obviously out of spec.

I'm going to get a lot of flack for this, but new Lyman molds suck, and their customer service sucks too.

Buy RCBS, they know what quality and customer service are supposed to be.
    Give us this day our daily lead.

Sic Semper Tyrannis.

If you don't want 1984 you're going to need some 1776.
    WWGWD

Boolit Master
    A friend just returned his 6 cav 158 RF due to very bad chatter marks in the cavities. The replacement is right on the money. You could put it on swapping and selling, the .38 S&W boys would love a RF mould that cast to those specs....

Boolit Master

Take a look at BABore's 360640 in the vendor sponser section. FB

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Trey45 View Post

I'm going to get a lot of flack for this, but new Lyman molds suck, and their customer service sucks too. You wont get any flack from me. I can't speak first hand on any new Lyman products but I can say their customer service sux big time. I'd rather deal with the Post Office than Lyman.

Buy RCBS, they know what quality and customer service are supposed to be. I'm partial to SAECO as my favorite but did get two new RCBS molds last year. I'm 100% satisfied with both my new RCBS molds. A bit pricey compared to Lee but worth every dime.

////////////

Boolit Man
    I have that mold in a 2 banger, and it drops at .3585 consistently. I would return the mold you have for another. I really like the bullet, don't give up yet.

AJ
    Beat profusely with hammer until functional.

Quote Originally Posted by SP101GUY View Post
    I have that mold in a 2 banger, and it drops at .3585 consistently. I would return the mold you have for another. I really like the bullet, don't give up yet.

AJ
    Me too. It's a great boolit only 1/4 thou ~ out'a round.
    Lead foot

Boolit Master
    Size to .360 and forget it. Or if it chambers, let the gun work it out for ya.
    Reading can provide limited education because only shooting provides YOUR answers as you tie everything together for THAT gun. The better the gun, the less you have to know / do & the more flexibility you have to achieve success.

Boolit Master
    Saeco #358
    Col 2:13-17

I have the Lee TL 158 SWC that drops .359 - .360

Ironically, I just order that RNFP mould in a 2-banger this morning. I'll be anxious. . .

Just curious from some of you who are familiar, what OAL does that Lee RNFP boolit produce in a 38 Special case if seated within the crimp groove?

I'm going to get a lot of flack for this, but new Lyman molds suck, and their customer service sucks too.

What "sucks" about new Lyman molds? Are they building them different somehow? I agree about RCBS molds, they are fine designs and accurately built, and drop nice bullets right out of the gate IMO. Lee? I have no problems using them, like using aluminum but wish they'd make heavy bullet molds in .44/45 without the dang GCs!!! They aren't needed IMO and GCs aren't getting any cheaper! Guess I'll "bite the boolit" and get a Freechek tool when I get a round tuit...

Boolit Mold
    Thanks for the input. I'll send it back and let Lee try again. This one also had extensive chatter marks that may explain the oversize condition.

I have to size at .358 or less to get them to chamber in my Model 65. My .358 sizer sizes to .3585 and I have to press them in. .3575 works fine.

I am casting the Lee 120gr TC with a double cav. and they are right at .357 and very round. Too bad they didn't design with a larger lube groove!

Awaveritt: I just seated one for you. I got it just a bit deep and it measures 1.435. I'd say between there and 1.440

Jim

Mine drops around .360. OAL is 1.432.

Boolit Master

Not from me.............I've bought a couple of new lyman molds and they have been OK for me.

Now that being said, Lyman customer service is in THE TOILET. Took them almost six WEEKS to get me replacement parts for my 450 sizer and four phone calls. They never could figure out what was going on until the parts just finally showed up one day.

WHY companies always cut customer service first I can't figure out. I just recently had a broken case in one of my Lee dies. Sent it back to Lee and got a phone call. Case couldn't be removed but for $4 they would sell me a new one. They never even charged me shipping for it!!

Lee, Dillon, Midway, etc all have excellent customer service, don't know what's happened to Lyman in recent years though and haven't had to deal with RCBS because my RCBS stuff doesn't break much.............<GRIN>

Art
    ”Only accurate rifles are interesting”
    ——Townsend Whelen

In a time of universal deceit , telling the truth is a revolutionary act
    —- George Orwell

Boolit Bub
    Well, I got a complaint about RCBS stuff!

Although the RCBS press that I purchased new in 1972 is doing OK,

and all my RCBS dies and bullet molds purchased over the years have produced excellent ammo,

the handle on that darn RCBS powder drop I purchased new in the early 1970's looks like it will fall off any day now. Of course it has been looking that way for the past 15 years or so.

And I only reload a few thousand rounds each year.