WidenersLoad DataTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
Lee Precision

Thread: Rossi 357

Boolit Bub

Rossi 357

Just bought an old stock Rossi Puma with 24" oct barrel in 357, all blued, looks good except for stock, and buttplate fit. The toe of buttplate overhangs the stock by 3/32". The wood is a very light colour mahogany type, with a very thick coat of dull brown stain **** on it. I at first thought of stripping it, then I decided to just try some tung oil I had on it, the oil loosened up the stain and alot of it came off, it now looks suprisingly like walnut.I turned out a new brass mag follower to replace the yellow plastic one and also a brass plug for the safety, you may ask why brass?, i donno, I just have this thing for brass. took the buttplate to the grinder. and have a used marbles type tang sight on the way. How heavy a bullet will the 1-30 twist stabilise? I don`t cast anything heavier than 160 right now, but might like to try 170?

Boolit Master
    Look at this fix for the "ugly" Rossi safety!
    http://levergunscommunity.com/viewto...=22047&start=0

I'm shooting 180 gr fp hardcast bullets at around 1400 fps out of my Rossi 24" oct barrel. They seem to edge out the 158 gr rnfp bullets in the accuracy department. A while back I fitted a Lyman Tang sight and messed about at 200 yards and keeping the 180 gr bullets in a 8" bull was no chore. Plenty of adjustment to ring gongs a lot further out.

regards Jacko
    "To my deep mortification my father once said to me,'You care for nothing but shooting, dogs and rat catching, and you will be a disgrace to yourself and all your family."'

- Charles Darwin

Boolit Mold

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Jacko.357 View Post
    I'm shooting 180 gr fp hardcast bullets at around 1400 fps out of my Rossi 24" oct barrel. They seem to edge out the 158 gr rnfp bullets in the accuracy department. A while back I fitted a Lyman Tang sight and messed about at 200 yards and keeping the 180 gr bullets in a 8" bull was no chore. Plenty of adjustment to ring gongs a lot further out.

regards Jacko
    I picked up my Rossi .357 Model 92 today and took it home and gave it a good cleaning. I then loaded 3 rounds of Fiocci .357 flat points and tried to cycle them through the action. Not one would enter the chamber unless I finger-helped it. I then loaded .38 specials with plat points and they all cycled through with no problem.

I hand loaded 20 rounds of .38 special using 5gr of Unique and 158gr LFN bullets with an OAL of 1.50". They all cycled great. I then hand loaded 30 rounds using the same bullet and charge into .357 brass and an OAL of 1.50". The same problem occurred. Looking closely it appears the .357 case is too long and catches the top of the forcing cone. My finger tickle frees it up and then I can finger push it into the bore which is nuts.

What's up with my new rifle? Is this a common experience? What’s the fix or is it something I’m doing?

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Blueridgeboy View Post
    I picked up my Rossi .357 Model 92 today and took it home and gave it a good cleaning. I then loaded 3 rounds of Fiocci .357 flat points and tried to cycle them through the action. Not one would enter the chamber unless I finger-helped it. I then loaded .38 specials with plat points and they all cycled through with no problem.

I hand loaded 20 rounds of .38 special using 5gr of Unique and 158gr LFN bullets with an OAL of 1.50". They all cycled great. I then hand loaded 30 rounds using the same bullet and charge into .357 brass and an OAL of 1.50". The same problem occurred. Looking closely it appears the .357 case is too long and catches the top of the forcing cone. My finger tickle frees it up and then I can finger push it into the bore which is nuts.

What's up with my new rifle? Is this a common experience? What’s the fix or is it something I’m doing?

OK , lets see if I understand this . Same bullet , same OAL , the ones loaded in .38 Special brass feed , the ones loaded in .357 Mag brass need assistance feeding ?

What kind of crimp on the .357 ? Are you not crimping it enough and leaving a sharp edge to hang on ?

I do not have a Rossi .357 , I have a Winny M1892 that some one , at some time , converted to .357 Mag . It did not like the SWC's I I have been casting for my S&W .

Did not like factory RNFP .38 Special ammo .

I bought a Lee RN 6 cavity mold .

As long as I load to .357 OAL , these feed well . If I am using .38 brass , it means I seat the bullet 1 crimp / reease groove further out .

God bless
    Wyr .

Boolit Mold

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by WyrTwister View Post
    OK , lets see if I understand this . Same bullet , same OAL , the ones loaded in .38 Special brass feed , the ones loaded in .357 Mag brass need assistance feeding ?

What kind of crimp on the .357 ? Are you not crimping it enough and leaving a sharp edge to hang on ?

I do not have a Rossi .357 , I have a Winny M1892 that some one , at some time , converted to .357 Mag . It did not like the SWC's I I have been casting for my S&W .

Did not like factory RNFP .38 Special ammo .

I bought a Lee RN 6 cavity mold .

As long as I load to .357 OAL , these feed well . If I am using .38 brass , it means I seat the bullet 1 crimp / reease groove further out .

God bless
    Wyr .
    I'll take responsibility for my loads and can tweak the variables to get a good load. But what's not feeding is 500rds - 357 Magnum Fiocchi 125gr Semi Jacketed Soft Point (NIB factory ammo). I've tried loading "dummy rounds" in once used 357 Fiocchi brass at the Fiocchi OAL (1.57") and at the OAL that works with 38 brass (1.50") and the 357 casing hangs up.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Blueridgeboy View Post
    I'll take responsibility for my loads and can tweak the variables to get a good load. But what's not feeding is 500rds - 357 Magnum Fiocchi 125gr Semi Jacketed Soft Point (NIB factory ammo). I've tried loading "dummy rounds" in once used 357 Fiocchi brass at the Fiocchi OAL (1.57") and at the OAL that works with 38 brass (1.50") and the 357 casing hangs up.

Okay...I took my new 357 Rossi to the range and put it on paper. First 6 shots at 25 yards were grouped within 2.5" and within 2" of the bulleye my POA. I was pleased and moved it out to 50 yards and without moving the elevation leaf all shots were in or touching the X-Ring; so I left well enough alone.

But I think I learned the cause of my cycling problem with the 357 Fiocchi rounds. The flat tip is simply too flat. See pictures:

The cartridge on the left is a factory load Fiocchi and the right is my load with a 158gr cowboy bullet. The Fiocchi has such a sharp corner it catches when trying to enter the chamber, not enough radius; it measures 1.57" OAL. My load measures 1.50" OAL but look at the radius; it is loaded in Fiocchi brass.

[IMG][/IMG]

Here's a top view of the bullets.

[IMG][/IMG]

I think I'll use the Fiocchi factory loads in my Ruger GP-100.

Boolit Mold
    A new question:

On my Rossi-Braztech Model 92 in 38/357 caliber, 20" barrel I want to exchange out the rear leaf sight and put on a Marble Arms ® Bullseye Sight http://www.marblearms.com/bullseyeSights_info.html . My question is will the existing sight remove by gently tapping it with a plastic or wood mallet? It appears to be a slip fit setting. And is installation done the same way (tap it in)? Any guidance is appreciated and technique tips wanted.

Tap the old sight out with a hardwood or brass drift from the left side of the receiver [ as if you where holding it ready to shoot ] Fitting the new sight is the reverse though I'm sure you will have a little fitting to do.

I think you will find your Rossi has an oversized dovetail, mine was .380, generally .375 is the industry standard. It may be neccesary to shim your Marbles sight with a piece cut from a alluminium can or perhaps make a shim from a piece of old feeler guage.

regards Jacko
    "To my deep mortification my father once said to me,'You care for nothing but shooting, dogs and rat catching, and you will be a disgrace to yourself and all your family."'

- Charles Darwin

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacko.357 View Post
    Tap the old sight out with a hardwood or brass drift from the left side of the receiver [ as if you where holding it ready to shoot ] Fitting the new sight is the reverse though I'm sure you will have a little fitting to do.

I think you will find your Rossi has an oversized dovetail, mine was .380, generally .375 is the industry standard. It may be neccesary to shim your Marbles sight with a piece cut from a alluminium can or perhaps make a shim from a piece of old feeler guage.

regards Jacko
    Thanks. I've got the Marble's bullseye sight and a Marble's gold bead for the front in transit to me.