WidenersTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionRepackboxLoad Data
Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lock 'em or leave 'em

Boolit Master

Lock 'em or leave 'em

When storing your firearms in a gun safe or strong box (like one of those stack-on cabinets) do you also apply a gun/trigger lock, ore just leave them bare?

In my few years I have had to cut off several gun locks due to loosing or otherwise misplacing the keys, and was just curious if you folks felt the compelling need to double lock your sticks or not?

Boolit Master
    I lock so I know that little fingers (kids) don't find their way into the safe. Also I do not trust anyone by nature............I don't have much so I'll be darned if someone is going to have a free lunch due to my foolishness.

update: I misread your opening post I thought you were referring to locking them in a safe or cabinet as to the trigger locks.............no way too much time to get things working if in quick need.
    Last edited by RobS; 01-10-2010 at 01:35 AM. Reason: Mis Read opening post

In Remembrance
    I'll send campaign checks to Obama, make wild love to Nancy Pelosi and go to naked weinie roasts with Barney Frank before I ever, ever use a trigger lock.

That's why I have gun safes.

I refuse to shoot at the local Bass Pro Shops indoor range because they rummage through your bag, put trigger locks on your gun, and then the guy at the range desk has to unlock them.

No way in HELL will I ever use a trigger lock.

Banned

Is THAT what they're for? In that case I use trigger locks all the time. On my shed doors, bicycles, extension ladders that I hang on the back of my storage shed, keeps the neighbors honest. I even have a pair with the keys glued in them that stay on my engine hoist at home as they are a handy way to hook a chain to irregular objects.

Where I live I actually might need to shoot something evil at a moment's notice, so weapons on the "active duty" list are fully loaded and hidden for security, not locked in any way. Those in the safe need only be loaded to function. A box or two of shells (or extra clips depending on gun) are stored with each gun.

Gear

Trigger locks are like child proof caps for med. bottles for old folks with out kids. Might as well put a lock on a fire exstinguisher... don't have kids but I secure them when I need to. And that's all I'll say about that. Reminds me... when I worked for the sheriff's office we had free gun locks, another gov. give away, the only people that came to get them were the same ones that wanted everything free.
    Experience is the source of all knowledge.

In Remebrance

I don't own a gun safe. I don't lock my guns. I do keep my peestols in a large ammo can.

Boolit Master

I don't have any trigger locks . . . wouldn't use them if I did . . . I have more guns not in the safe, than I do in it . . . If I need a gun quickly, I can get it, plus usually have one on my hip . . . sure beats waiting for the law to show up . . . closest sheriff's office is 25 mi away . . . no local PD!
    John 3: 16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

Boolit Grand Master
    No children here and my wife is fully qualified with her S&W mod. 19, so no need for trigger locks.
    When my son was a little fella, I taught him to never touch Daddy's gun. Never had a need for trigger locks. Besides, the boogie man ain't gonna give you a time out to go get your keys.

Boolit Master
    i will put a trigger lock on my guns. when you see a guy in a red suit with a tail and horns holding a pitch foork, selling ice cubes. because that means hell done froze over.

Only thing at my house with a lock is my Browning Prosteel. Everything lives in there, cept the Glock that stays on the night stand. (kids all grown and gone) Bob

Boolit Master

Did you say gun LOOK ? Oh yea I have one on my chair that gets a look and one in the corner that gets a look--theres one in the bedroom that gets a look, 270 leans against a wall --it gets a look to. 45 ACP on my hip gets a look and a nod.
    Oh you said lock--Like said above --use them to lock the wood splitter, the snow blower,
    the shed door.
    Crime and death happen in an instant-- 5 feet away from you is to far away
    Do what makes you comfortable if you have to leave firearms at home and your not.
    To each his own if there are kids in the house.

GW

no trigger locks on any of our weapons! those in the stack on are all empty! only have a pistol loaded by the bed in case needed . local sheriff took 4 hrs last time I called could be dead and gone by the time he made it!

Boolit Master

No kids in my house exept my grown kids and wife who are all shooters. I thought those locks were just freebies for locking up your toolbox with a cool manufacturers logo.

Trigger locks are the same as the warning on the box of Preparation-H "Warning: Not to be taken internally"

NEVER..................................I'd be dead by the time the cops made it out here.
    ”Only accurate rifles are interesting”
    ——Townsend Whelen

In a time of universal deceit , telling the truth is a revolutionary act
    —- George Orwell

In Remembrance

We raised five sons without locks, but I now have safes for my guns to keep the thieves out. I lost 13 guns in one burgulary, 7 in the second, and one in the last. My carry pistols do not have any locking features. I do have some that have locking features (Tarus), but will never use it.

Boolit Buddy
    No to trigger locks.

I do lock my bedside gun up, but it is a one of those of biometric safes (do not recommend them). I unlock it at night when I get home and lock it when I leave.

Because of the kids I have in and out of my house I feel the need to lock the gun, not my kid but their friends. May be paranoid but figure I would feel better having it locked in a $20 cash drawer, when I am not there, or when there are a lot of kids running in out of the house, I just unlock it once everyone leaves or as I go to bed.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Recluse View Post
    I refuse to shoot at the local Bass Pro Shops indoor range because they rummage through your bag, put trigger locks on your gun, and then the guy at the range desk has to unlock them.
    Say what??

Be a cold day in h*ll before I would allow that to happen.

Rick
    "The people never give up their freedom . . . Except under some delusion." Edmund Burke

"Let us remember that if we suffer tamely a lawless attack on our liberty, we encourage it." Samuel Adams

NRA Benefactor Life Member
    CRPA Life Member

Boolit Master
    I'll send campaign checks to Obama, make wild love to Nancy Pelosi and go to naked weinie roasts with Barney Frank before I ever, ever use a trigger lock.
    Don't care one way or another about the first but if you get to the second two call us so we can get video! Thanks for giving me a chuckle today!

I don't use them anymore. Used to keep one of the "adult strength" rubber bands on my Python which was the "drawer" gun. Now that there are no younguns around there is no point.
    Last edited by pmeisel; 01-10-2010 at 01:14 PM. Reason: add
    Paul

There is a old Russian saying " is gun is meant to be dangerous is meant to kill enemies and game, not be paper weight " .
    okay so I feel like being silly today
    Last edited by dukenukum; 01-10-2010 at 03:09 PM. Reason: did not finish
    http://adventuresinopencarr.blogspot.com/
    even my cat has a gun
    Trust in GOD and the Mauser.

Wink

I like the "gun" locks better than the "trigger" locks.

That one with the cable works real well on the mountain bike I borrowed from my Brother. Use another one on the storage shed.
    Regards,

WE

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by C1PNR View Post
    I like the "gun" locks better than the "trigger" locks.

That one with the cable works real well on the mountain bike I borrowed from my Brother. Use another one on the storage shed.
    I agree, gun cable locks are great, use them for locking up my tool boxes and other stuff I keep in the bed of the truck and I get one free evey time I buy a pistol

No way would I ever put one on a gun though, thats what the gun safes are for.
    "An armed society is a polite society" R.A. Heinlein 1907 - 1988