Lee PrecisionInline FabricationTitan ReloadingRepackbox
RotoMetals2Load DataSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Wideners

Thread: Is this mould too rusty?

Is this mould too rusty?

Is this mould too rusty to take a chance on? How much would you pay?

http://cgi.ebay.com/LYMAN-IDEAL-358-...item3358a3d6f1

Quote Originally Posted by awaveritt View Post
    Is this mould too rusty to take a chance on? How much would you pay?

http://cgi.ebay.com/LYMAN-IDEAL-358-...item3358a3d6f1

I ain't no xpert on steel/iron molds, but looks like an easy cleanup to me (actually, hardly looks rusted at all, looks like mostly age)

I'm also not a fan of 1-2 cavity molds, I like my 5-6 cav's, but for that price, it's barely more than a lee 2cav. I'd probly jump on it if I had the money to spare. (to sit on then sell later)

Boolit Grand Master
    The right side looks like the corrosion goes into the metal rather than being just surface, but who knows without cleaning it up.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

A rusty mold that you can't inspect first-hand is a pig-in-a-poke. You'll have no idea what it's condition actually is until it arrives in the mail. The only thing you know for sure is that the mold has been damaged by rust through neglect-- a fact that does not buoy one's confidence.

You'll undoubtedly have to spend a fair amount of time in careful and probably frustrating (and possibly pointless) restoration before you even know if it's at all useful/useable for your application.

Don't pay more than you're willing to lose. Best of luck.

Boolit Master

I know, a bit late, but . . .

Somebody thought it was worth $27.99 +$5 shipping . . . I would have passed, there are lots of others . . .
    John 3: 16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

Boolit Master

If I were interested in it, I'd likely set a price in my head that I wouldn't mind losing. I have cleaned up a couple that looked worse and the cast fine. I am usually more concerned about dings and cavity edge damage as that is harder to repair that most rust, excepting deep pits.

BTW kind of an aside, has anyone tried electrolysis to clean up rust on a mold?

Edd
    Charter member Michigan liars club!

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in Government." -- Thomas Jefferson

"Consider the clown(s) just one of God's little nettles in the woods, don't let it detract from the beauty. Sooner or latter you are going to run into the nettles regardless of how careful you are."

Beware of man who types much, but says nothing.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 123.DieselBenz View Post
    I know, a bit late, but . . .

Somebody thought it was worth $27.99 +$5 shipping . . . I would have passed, there are lots of others . . .
    I'd of passed as well. The rust on the right side looks like it is deeper than the vent lines. The cavity on the left may be salvageable.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Boolit Master

I think it went for too much. I probably would have dropped up to $20 on it in hopes that the rust would buff and/or lap out. But if it were too pitted it wouldn't be a good price on the mold....
    JDGabbard's Feedback Thread

Jdgabbard's very own boolit boxes pattern!

GOA and FPC have done more in the last decade than your NRA has done in it's entire existence... Support the ones that actually do something for you.

Boolit Master
    The seller indicated the "Mold works great and it is in great shape " !

Jerry
    S&W .38/44 Outdoorsman Accumulator

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GLL View Post

Jerry
    Not the way it is in the pics!!

How would he know?? It hasn't been used. No way it would cast let alone close with the present rust!!

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

Bertrand de Jouvenel

Boolit Buddy
    I soak rusty molds in Ballistol and it dissolves the rust off and leaves a clean metal surface.
    I aim to misbehave.

Mostly Harmless.

Boolit Master

It will clean up but don't get into a bidding war over it./beagle
    diplomacy is being able to say, "nice doggie" until you find a big rock.....

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GLL View Post

Jerry
    My attempt at sarcasm did not come through very well in writing !

Jerry
    S&W .38/44 Outdoorsman Accumulator

My attempt at sarcasm did not come through very well in writing !
    I know what you meant, I thought the same thing when I read the sellers description.
    Appalachian American

When told the reason for daylight savings time the Old Indian said, “Only the Government would believe that you could cut a foot off the top of a blanket, sew it to the bottom, and have a longer blanket.”

I'm using several Lyman & RCBS molds that were rusted when they came to me. I bead blast with walnut hulls & either use as is or sometimes will reblue them. I have acquired about 15 molds from a very good friend who passed away about a year ago. The molds sat in a cardboard box in his tool shed for about a year (while he was ill) & then an additional year until I found them while cleaning out the shed for his wife. They've been sitting in my garage for a couple of months now & I haven't taken the time to inventory them. I'm pretty sure they will be duplicates of molds I already have.

Boolit Buddy
    I would have bought it for the one cav that still looked good. Chuck it up on the lathe and HP the one good cavity. If the second cleaned up then bonus, if not still have the HP side.

Black Powder 100%

Livingston, La. 20 miles east of Baton Rouge, La.
    The Lyman 358156 is a very common mold with several of them for sale every day. I would have taken one look and passed as it is probably pitted in the mold on the right side.
    Shooter of the "HOLY BLACK" SASS 81802 AKA FAIRSHAKE; NRA ; BOLD; WARTHOG;Deadwood Marshal;Bayou Bounty Hunter; So That his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat; 44 WCF filled to the top, 210 gr. bullet