MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
WidenersInline FabricationRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Repackbox Lee Precision
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Captured my first wild Wheel Weight!

Boolit Master
    Hamgunner I'm not sure I would want the enviro's to know that lead will melt in the rain. We could be in real trouble.

In Remembrance

Scored a 6 ounce lying on top of the snow near the traffic light in Wheeler yesterday, looks new. My Chev truck (07) has wheels that hold mud in a groove that is almost impossible to get out without removing the wheel from the truck. One trip down a muddy road and the wheels are bouncing. Guy at the tire shop told me they now have plastic beads to put inside the tire that balances the tire as you drive. Claims it takes care of the mud imbalance. Different size beads for different size tires. $6 to $10 a tire, don't know if that includes the labor for installation, but if you are installing new tires or having a flat repaired it's cheaper than balancing. Anyone tried them?

Quote Originally Posted by badgeredd View Post
    After reading this thread, it occurred to me that some people might consider us a sick bunch. Obviously we have passed the illness on...as my wife brings home a Wild Wheel Weight now and then she has found in a local parking lot, with a smile.

Edd
    Sick would be going into the parking lot with a bucket and pliers.

I've bagged a few WWW this year. Georgia's a no limit state.

Don

Boolit Master

My Son presented me with about a 15 -20 lb. box of shiny brand new weights that he found someplace for free. It was very hard to do, but since they had never been on a wheel, I gave them to my neighbor who has a small lube & tire service a couple of blocks away. Wow, hated to let em go, but.
    73 de n0ubx, Rick
    NRA Benefactor Life Member/VFW Life Member

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by HamGunner View Post
    My Son presented me with about a 15 -20 lb. box of shiny brand new weights that he found someplace for free. It was very hard to do, but since they had never been on a wheel, I gave them to my neighbor who has a small lube & tire service a couple of blocks away. Wow, hated to let em go, but.
    Maybe not a bad move as I have read that the really shiny weights usually contain a lot of zinc. All the WWS I have found have been very dirty and hard to tell in that aspect. Picked up almost 100# one day that some one had dropped in the yard where I worked. Was scraping through the mud and grass for them to get all I could. One of my co-workers asked, what the hell are you doing? I said it's all good. Will make alot of boolits. Cleaned them up a little and I still have about twenty pounds yet to smelt down. And they have made alot of boolits.
    If a man has nothing greater to believe in than himself, he is a very lonely man.

Thonotosassa, Florida/ Pensacola, N. Carolina
    Quote Originally Posted by OutHuntn84 View Post
    Hmmm I wonder if you had a powerful enough magnet you could pick up WWs with it by the metal clips?
    Anyone ever try it?
    That is exactly how I separate the clipons from the stickons!

SIGHS ive been capturing wild wheels since i was a just a little chap. When we were kids and would go to the lake when we got off the interstate naturally there was a half circle to get on the next road. Seems the cars would lose them during the rapid slowdown we kids would jump out on the red light and get them for dad to make sinkers out of... AHHH the good ole days now with the traffic we would prolly get ran over LOL.

Boolit Master
    I like finding a wild wheel weight almost as much firing one of my home made boolits. I always wonder what he will be turned into---- .45 .50 .40 .35 etc.

One of the many tools I keep on my BOB

I have sworn on the altar of GOD eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.
    Thomas Jefferson

" Any law that is NOT constitutional is not a law" James Madison

WWW Fail!

Illusive lil suckers! Heading to lunch today sitting in the passanger seat at a stop light, look over and there, dull matalic roundish shape just laying there in the mud. So like the mad man I am; I jump outta the car and into the mud, w/ no explination, grab it ... and it was trash!!! So much disapointment! If I ever find one of those lil suckers; I'll shoot em

Man, you guys are hard core. I just went into the tire shop, begged a little and left with 240 lbs of wheel weights. Nice to be the only one around here that casts.
    Be careful, the toes you step on today may be attached to the butt you have to kiss tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by sucngas View Post
    Man, you guys are hard core. I just went into the tire shop, begged a little and left with 240 lbs of wheel weights. Nice to be the only one around here that casts.
    Now where do you live? Have bucket will travel!

Quote Originally Posted by OutHuntn84 View Post
    Now where do you live? Have bucket will travel!
    Probably shouldn't have posted that. All you guys will be stealing my weights. Actually, if you are around Anaconda MT, the tire shop there sells 5 gal buckets, filled to overflowing for $40. He has 6 buckets right now.
    Be careful, the toes you step on today may be attached to the butt you have to kiss tomorrow.

Go get the rest of those WW while you have the chance. They aren't going to be avaliable forever and you can always resale the to the memberes here if you decide to stop casting.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel964 View Post
    Go get the rest of those WW while you have the chance. They aren't going to be avaliable forever and you can always resale the to the memberes here if you decide to stop casting.
    +1

I used to know a print shop - Alvin would sell me all the used linotype and Sterotype I wanted at $0.10 per pound - was made up in little bars on little plywood sheets - string around them to hold them together. I bought without thinking ahead - go to a print shop today - all electronic - no nasty linotype in sight. Wish I stocked up more when it was changing out technology - oh well - live and learn. Better to learn from someone who's already been there and made the error

I found a .5 oz'er today swimming up stream next to a big brown, what luck.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by SciFiJim View Post
    I am a mailman that walks a route. I capture one or two wild WWs a month. Feeling the added weight in my pocket all day makes me smile.
    Me too....I picked up about 6 lbs last year.
    "Great danger lies in the notion that we can reason with evil." Doug Patton

Converting lead into gold

Boolit Master
    dcp......LOL
    Qajaq59

One slow hit is better then 500 quick misses. "It ain't the noise that kills 'em!!!!"

Boolit Mold
    Hello all. I've been casting my own for about a year, reloading much longer.

I'm glad to see that there are "others" out there. We took our fire engine to get a tire replaced a few days ago at a repair shop that does trucks, constuction equipment, etc. I found some big ones, 1 had to be close to a half pound! The other guys on my crew point them out to me when we're out on the road . They think I am half nuts anyway so they just take the wheel weight thing in stride.

The shop sold me a 100# bucket for $10. I'm going back to visit them again.

Boolit Master
    Look closely even around the speed bumps in your favorite shopping center parking lot. Some folks must hit that first bump pretty fast, thereby serving its purpose.