WidenersRepackboxRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Harbor freight

Harbor freight

I was there browsing and noticed a tumbler for 38 dollars and also a vibrating 10 gallon cleaner for 183.00. Anyone tried either of these. Thanks

Boolit Grand Master
    My personal rule for HF purchases is........" If I use it once every few months or so, I might buy at HF.....If I use it daily, NO, I won't buy it from HF.

Many of their items ( not all of them ) just are not made for heavy duty daily hard use.

You get a good deal when you 1st purchase the item, then after a few months....it is headed for the trash can.

Ben

Boolit Grand Master in Remembrance

I had bad luck with their vibrating tumblers. Bought one and returned it 3 or 4 times before I just asked for my money back.

then after a few months....it is headed for the trash can.
    I see this all the time and just do not understand it. They clearly state a guarantee of satisfaction or replacement or money back. Folks have done this for years with Craftsmen tools but when it comes to H/F they trash it out? Oh well its their money they're throwing away.

In Remembrance - Super Moderator & Official Cast Boolits Sketch Artist

I think it was more of a example of worth
    Reloading to save money I am sure the saving is going to start soon

Banned
    I've got one of their rock tumblers. I use it to true up my buckshot and graphite them. It was cheap, and it eats belts like no tomorrow, but it was worth what I gave for it.

Sometimes it just isnt worth the time involved to take something back. I have the large vibrating tumbler and havent had a problem with it yet. Had it 2 yrs. The molded bowl is pretty thick and very industrial. I figured if I lose a motor, then I will replace it with something of my own make up. Knock on wood, I havent had to go there yet. I went in looking to buy one of their small cement mixers for this purpose and decided on the vibrator. Merry Christmas

Boolit Bub
    I have been eyeing their 1 ton arbor press to use on the loading bench.
    wheeze

WOW, What are you reloading. I use the Sinclare press, and its far from a 1 ton.

Sometimes it just isnt worth the time involved to take something back.
    Its worth the time to go buy it but not to return it when it doesn't work? HHHMMMMMMMMM

Course I'm lucky, when going to the VA Hosiptal I'm within 1/2 mile of H/F.

Quote Originally Posted by ddeaton View Post
    Sometimes it just isnt worth the time involved to take something back. I have the large vibrating tumbler and havent had a problem with it yet. Had it 2 yrs. The molded bowl is pretty thick and very industrial. I figured if I lose a motor, then I will replace it with something of my own make up. Knock on wood, I havent had to go there yet. I went in looking to buy one of their small cement mixers for this purpose and decided on the vibrator. Merry Christmas
    Thats what I was thinking. Replacing the motor if something goes wrong. I don't have alot of money. I got my reloading kit by trading a snake for it.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by smilin-buddha View Post
    I got my reloading kit by trading a snake for it.
    God, I LOVE this forum!
    Echo
    USAF Ret
    DPS, 2600
    NRA Benefactor
    O&U
    One of the most endearing sights in the world is the vision of a naked good-looking woman leaving the bedroom to make breakfast. Bolivar Shagnasty (I believe that Lazarus Long also said it, but I can't find any record of it.)

In Remembrance

Thats what I was thinking. Replacing the motor if something goes wrong. I don't have alot of money. I got my reloading kit by trading a snake for it.
    Know anyone else that will trade reloading equipment for snakes? I can offer rattlers, bullsnakes, garter snakes, etc. LOL

I misplaced my Mitutoyo dial caliper and brought a harbor freight digital caliper and a dial caliper.The Digital caliper never gave the same reading twice in a row no matter what I did with the batteries.The dial caliper was a real *** .Luckily I found my Mitutoyo it fell behind the reloading bench this caliper is smooth as glass compared to the HF one.

I misplaced my Mitutoyo dial caliper and brought a harbor freight digital caliper and a dial caliper.The Digital caliper never gave the same reading twice in a row no matter what I did with the batteries.The dial caliper was a real *** .Luckily I found my Mitutoyo it fell behind the reloading bench this ca

liper is smooth as glass compared to the HF one.

So take it back and get your money back, sorta simple soluttition.

Boolit Master
    ENCO has a one ton arbor press for $39.99

In Remembrance
    I didn't think lawyers were worth that much.

You got a helluva deal.

Boolit Master
    " brought a harbor freight digital caliper and a dial caliper.The Digital caliper never gave the same reading twice in a row no matter what I did with the batteries.The dial caliper was a real *** ."

I bought a 6" stainless steel Midway dial caliper years ago after my lovely and precise old Swiss made vernier caliper got too hard to read with aging eyes. I knew the Midway calipers were exactly the same as RCBS, Lyman, Hornady at the time but MUCH less costly. That cheap caliper has worked precisely for almost 20 years now IF I blow the rack clean with high pressure air once a year or so. About 6 years ago I needed an additional caliper and saw that Harbor Freight's were identical with the reloading tool makers but at HALF the cost of my old MIdway. HF's are often on sale for $12.

Eventually, I added a second and third 6" HF caliper, a 12" dial, plus a 6" digital. They all work fine. All read within a half thousanth, most are tighter, against my .33" and 1.0" Jo blocks. Are they as "pretty" as my Swiss tool, or my friend's Starretts or Brown & Sharpes? NO! But they work as well as any for my various needs. I can buy maybe 8-9 HFs for one Mitutoyo or 10-12 HF calipers for the price of ONE Starrett or B&S so I really don't care! And if ANY of them get dropped on a concrete floor they are likely gone so the cheapies are a rational choice even for some pro machine shops I know of. And IF I should get a bad one they would swap it as fast as the more expensive makers so I'm really not running much of a risk am I?

The top of the line stuff is nice but....every one makes his own choices and then pays his own prices. Cheap doesn't bother me if they work and mine do quite well. And those who say they don't care for Chinese stuff had best not take a look at their computer, cell phone, digital cameras, electric power or hand tools, etc., "Made in ..." tags!

And we are WAAY off topic!
    Last edited by 1hole; 12-26-2009 at 01:52 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    Was the kit an RCBSssssssssss?

10-4 Good Buddy, You got the Duck

Boolit Grand Master

I have a HF rotary tumbler that has been tumbling brass for three years with no problem. Not three years straight though, I don't have that much brass!

Boolit Master
    I didn't think lawyers were worth that much
    Lawyer?!? I thought that was a Senator!!
    NRA life member

LB

Boolit Master
    Don't most Senators start out as Lawyers? How do you think this country got in the way that it is. You have to hire a lawyer for just about everything nowdays.
    And evidently Lawyers start out as snakes.
    Sent from my PC with a keyboard and camera on it with internet too.
    Melting Stuff is FUN!
    Shooting stuff is even funner

L W Knight