WidenersTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Load DataLee PrecisionInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
Repackbox MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: It can be done.

It can be done.

Twice a month our small lead boolit club meet. We shoot 200 meter silhouette and bench rest. We have about eight members aged from 53 to 84 and growing slowly.
    Our bench rest target has five scoring targets and one test - The ten ring measures 1" Ron shot 12 x 10s in a row. The caliber is 6.5x47 Lapua. Boolit -Saeco 264 140gr sized to 0.265. 1840fps - CCI 450 mag primer - Load 18grs IMR 4198 -case FLS in RCBS (Lapua neck turned) - Lube LEE NRA Alox stick, nose rubbed with same. The gun is a Savage Mod 12, Maddco barrel 1-8 twist. 28". Scope Night force 12-42 BR. This group would be good for Stoats postal see competition thread but Ron is a retired teacher and is of the old school and I can't get him to buy a computer. He has been shooting cast boolits all his life and his input here would be great. Oh wellThere's a few pics - the first group is .500" next .750".
    Lead foot;
    Last edited by lead Foot; 04-11-2010 at 05:31 AM.

Boolit Grand Master

Wow. That is some great shooting, supported by a heck of a good load and some
    finely cast boolits.

Well done.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Master

Nice shooting from Down Under. Work on him, after all he is a teacher, retired or not. There has been a lot of discussion about the 6.5 caliber in particular lately and new and fresh input would be welcome. G'day to you all from Michigan.

Edd
    Charter member Michigan liars club!

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in Government." -- Thomas Jefferson

"Consider the clown(s) just one of God's little nettles in the woods, don't let it detract from the beauty. Sooner or latter you are going to run into the nettles regardless of how careful you are."

Beware of man who types much, but says nothing.

Banned

Very nice!
    I notice the nice fast twist too.
    Twist Ron's arm, he can teach us a lot.

Boolit Master

Wow. I am totally impressed. Ron needs to be convinced that we need his expertise.
    Echo
    USAF Ret
    DPS, 2600
    NRA Benefactor
    O&U
    One of the most endearing sights in the world is the vision of a naked good-looking woman leaving the bedroom to make breakfast. Bolivar Shagnasty (I believe that Lazarus Long also said it, but I can't find any record of it.)

Boolit Master
    Tell your friend that experience always makes the best teacher!

Tell him getting a computer isn't the end of the world, this one is my first and I only got it 2 years ago!

I've always felt that if I learn one new thing everyday I've acomplished something. Get a screen in front of your friend, not to show him what he's missing but to show him what were missing.

Imagine what this site might be like if guys like Elmer Kieth had the "net" 70 yrs ago!

Boolit Master

Talking

Tell him that he can be our teacher, and we will be his students.

I forgot to mention these groups were shot at 100 meters. I worked out the MOA on the smallest group ~ 0.395 MOA. We are now shooting 200 meters (ten shots). The best we have done there is 3". I find you need a different load for that range. I think my .308 goes sub sonic but the 6.5 seems alright.
    Lead foot;

Super Moderator

..............Some pretty fancy shooting, 100 meters, OR 200 meters! Congratulations. I too have a friend who refuses to get a computer. Well he has a computer but it's an ancient 486 and his wife uses it as a word prossesor for their rentals. I've truied to convinve him the internet simply isn't a place where people try to sell you stuff, but he won't have any part of it.

...............Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Banned

Awesome! Chalk one up for Cast.

My Mother- 2 masters degrees- from University of California Davis, University of Sacramento State,. Retired teacher at the top of her field and the computer still scares her to death ..

In Remebrance

My minister friend tell me there's a local guy who has a few Commodore 64's piggy backed (???) and actually surfs the web with them. Won't buy a new one or accept a used one as a gift.

Proof that it takes all types to make up this old world.!

Wow.

I'm a bit slow in finding this post but glad I'm here. I have a barrel blank in 6.5 with a 10 twist. My first consideration for a cartridge chambering was the good 'ol Swede but this 6.5x47 Lapua looks mighty interesting. 30 degree shoulders, small rifle primer and the neck appears to be of a decent length. Wonder if Ron has any particulars on the leade cut for that Laupa.

Nels

Hi Nels;
    We had a cast boolit shoot this morning and Ron was there but by the I got home and read your post it's to late. He' gone the Melbourne for a holiday and won't be back till mid January. I know the gunsmith that did the work and shoots lead boolits too. I think they did make the lead a bit longer but not a 100% shure. As soon as he gets back i'll let ya know. He dos'nt like computers, mobile phones and aeroplanes ~ I think you get the drift.
    Lead foot;

In Remembrance

Great shooting! My wife now manages storage units for a local owner and he has an old 486 that she has to keep books on. His son is a computer programer, but he's just too tight to spend a dime to upgrade. Maybe that's why he has more money than I.

Boolit Master in Heaven's Range
    Lead foot,

The part of your post that impressed me (aside from the excellent shooting) was the complete documentation of the details of the rifle and load. Thanks!

Regards,

Stew
    Sig file change:
    "Obi Wan Baloney"
    VOTE 2012! Throw them out! Every last one of them! (Feel free to add this to your sig. Spread the word!)

"...Get a rope." Pace Picante Sauce commercial, ca. 1984

"I (did, on several occasions) swear to support and defend the Constitution of the United States, against ALL enemies, foreign AND domestic, and to bear true faith and allegiance to the same." And when I left, they never asked me to recant.

Boolit Master

Outback Queensland, North of the Tropic of Capricorn
    Lead Foot, I think I have asked you this before, but what area in Qld are you in?
    WHEN IN DOUBT, USE MORE CLOUT!

G'Day Southern Son:
    I live one hour north west of Bundaberg. North of Gin Gin on the Bruce highway. You must be up round Rocky.
    Lead foot;

Boolit Master

Outback Queensland, North of the Tropic of Capricorn
    Lead Foot, I am west north west of Rocky, little hole called Dysart. Actually, if I could get a couple of days off, it would be a great little town, the gun club is 10 minutes out of town, and that is everything that I need in a town. The last place I lived the gun club was 1 hour 20 minutes away.
    WHEN IN DOUBT, USE MORE CLOUT!

man that's some fine shooting! keep them pic's coming