Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyRepackboxLee Precision
Load DataTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2 Wideners

Thread: 44 special can be loaded with 44 mag dies?

Boolit Master

44 special can be loaded with 44 mag dies?

Correct?

Boolit Master
    You are correct..............same specs.

Boolit Grand Master

Today, that is pretty much true. However, in the past, not always. The manufacturers apparently wanted to try to sell you two sets of dies. When their competitors spec'd dies to load both everyone had to fall in line.

I have seen .44 magnum dies that did not allow you to properly crimp .44 Specials. I had an early set of .44 Special dies that did not size the case enough to allow proper case neck tension and ball powders would "squib" (specifically H110 and Win 296). The full length die worked fine with standard velocity loads using Bullseye and Unique but would "squib" with the slower burning powders (squib, as in stuck a bullet in the barrel). Replacing the dies with a more modern set cured this completely.

FWIW
    Dale53

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dale53 View Post
    Today, that is pretty much true. However, in the past, not always. The manufacturers apparently wanted to try to sell you two sets of dies. When their competitors spec'd dies to load both everyone had to fall in line.

I have seen .44 magnum dies that did not allow you to properly crimp .44 Specials. I had an early set of .44 Special dies that did not size the case enough to allow proper case neck tension and ball powders would "squib" (specifically H110 and Win 296). The full length die worked fine with standard velocity loads using Bullseye and Unique but would "squib" with the slower burning powders (squib, as in stuck a bullet in the barrel). Replacing the dies with a more modern set cured this completely.

FWIW
    Dale53

yep what dale said.....like a 357mag die, if not originally designed as 38/357 die probably will not allow crimping.
    same in 44spcl/44mag
    same for 45 scholfield/45 long colt, 45 long colt/454 casul
    mike in co
    only accurate rifles are interesting

Boolit Buddy

44 special with 44 mag

You can almost always load the longer cases with the shorter die sets but used to be that you could not crimp the shorter cases with the longer dies. Also, some manufacturerers used to sell a non-adjustable belling die and some of those for the 44 magnum would go so far down in the 44 special case before it would bell that it would put a bulge in the case.

skt

Needless to say same goes for 38 - 357

Boolit Master at Heaven's Range 2010

sizing

so you take the older ones and cut them down. simple.
    WILDCATT

Boolit Master

Simple for the crimp die or the fl sizer but NOT so simple for the combination decapper and neck expander/beller.
    That trick required a genuine machinist w/lathe.
    RCBS was the most common culprit.
    Pepe Ray
    The way is ONLY through HIM.

Boolit Bub
    The 44 Mag is about 1/10" longer case if my old memory is correct. Bacl in the 70's when $ where scarce I had a set of RCBS 44 Mag dies and owned a 44 Special S&W model 24. The dies worked for the Special with the exception of the seat-crimp die which would not crimp the case. I worked for an aircraft manufacturer at the time and took the die to work and had a machinest buddy shorten the die by 1/10" and when he was done it looked like a factory finish die and workd great.

Boolit Master

Hi Gary;
    So what extra work did you need to do to seat your cast BOOLETS?
    The flaring part of the expander would not reach the mouth of the 44Spl's.
    Did you cut off the decapping pin holder or what?
    Pepe Ray
    The way is ONLY through HIM.

Boolit Master

I had my Dad make me a .110 spacer to lift my .38 Special dies just right so I could use them to load .357's - Still have, and use, that spacer, and also use it for .44Special/.44Mag loading.
    Echo
    USAF Ret
    DPS, 2600
    NRA Benefactor
    O&U
    One of the most endearing sights in the world is the vision of a naked good-looking woman leaving the bedroom to make breakfast. Bolivar Shagnasty (I believe that Lazarus Long also said it, but I can't find any record of it.)

Boolit Bub
    Pepe,
    Did not shoot a lot cast back then, and if I recall added decap rod assy to sizer and did cut off decapper from expander-decap assy. This was a long time ago and cash was tight and a few parts from RCBS was a lot cheaper than buying a new set of dies.