MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersInline FabricationRepackbox
RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingLee Precision
Load Data Titan Reloading

Thread: TP for 311467

Boolit Buddy

TP for 311467

What punch would you use for the Lyman 311467? There is no reference on the box.

thanks guys
    be

Boolit Grand Master
    Takes a top punch # 467

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks Ben, I missed your reply for a day there. The punch I've used is swaging the point more rounded.

be

Boolit Mold
    Lurking newbie.

I need some education. I have been advised that the discontinued Lyman 311-465 122gr 465 RN-GC is one mold I should check out for my 336CB. Been to CastPics. I see the reference to "top punch" 465 and a "seating screw" 465. I can't take being stupid anymore. Can someone please educate me as to what this referes to.

RN = Round Nose, GC = Gas check. 311 = cal. 122 = wt in gr. The 465 does not make much sense to me.

Lastly, I trust finding one of these for a newbie is a stupid way to start. Just trying to follow what an experienced shooter has done vs. trying to learn the hard way. Use is for Cowboy Lever Action competition.

Thanks!

Boolit Grand Master
    Lyman made a 311465, 311466 and a 311467.

The 465 was the Loverin light weight, the 466' the medium weight and the 467' was the Hvy. weight .

The last three digits are basically a " model # ", those three numbers don't shed any light on the bullet style or weight. The first three ( 311 )are an indicator of the projected dia of the bullet ( although that may or may not end up being very accurate either ).

Boolit Mold
    Good info. I note on this post http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=19887 he only makes mention of:

311-465 122gr 465 RN-GC

311-466 169gr

But no mention of a 311-467... I guess an example of not being exhaustive. CastPics suggest 465, 466 and 467 are all GC'd....yet the notes above would not suggest that...and CastPics suggests the 466 is a 152 gr not a 169. My head hurts. What do you believe?

Thanks!

In Remembrance / Boolit Grand Master

I have all three moulds.

In my wheelweight alloy, 465 weighs around 124 grains, 466 comes in at 152 grains, and 311467 weighs about 179 grains.

All are of the Loverin multi-ring design, and all have given good results in a number of applications. They share a similar nose profile and all three are intended for use with a gascheck.

I don't lose any sleep whatever about not having the "right" nose punch. With a mess of moulds totalling somewhere well-north of seventy items, I'm "getting by" with perhaps a dozen or so assorted nose punches. If the punch fits into the sizing die on the downstroke, and doesn't mark or distort the bullet, it's perfectly OK to use.
    Regards from BruceB in Nevada

"The .30'06 is never a mistake." - Colonel Townsend Whelen