MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersReloading EverythingLoad Data
Inline Fabrication Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 45 LC loading versility.

Boolit Grand Master

Changeling;
    You might want to look here - lots of PRESSURE TESTED heavy load data:

http://www.customsixguns.com/writing...g_the_myth.htm

Typically, you can load a 260 gr Keith or LBT WFN or WLN from 650 fps - 1200/1300 fps within safe limits for the .45 Colt Blackhawk using John Linebaughs pressure tested data.

My self, I'll be staying within 25,000 psi in my Ruger Bisley SS .45 Colt/.45 ACP convertible.

Factory load levels with the Lyman 452664 or NOE's Lyman 454424 Clone will receive most of my attention. That level makes a really good general load level and is pleasant to shoot.

FWIW
    Dale53

changeling you don't state how long your new barrel is or how much experience you have shooting a big bore handgun. You have purchased a great gun before loading there are some things that must be done to achieve full potential from your ruger. first you will want to slug your barrel and cylinder throats chances are good that the throats will be too tight for cast bullets you will want .4525 or .453. If they are too tight have know fear cylindersmith.com can fix you up for under 50 bucks. Once you know what how fat you need your bullets to be the you will have know problems with leading and chances are yo will say uncle before the gun does. I shoot the lee 340fps sized to .454 out of a 7.5 and 5.5 inch blackhawk at well above 1000 fps with no leading and it is amazingly accurate and I can down load it to around 1000 with unique and or universal for very comfortable loads again no leading and great accuracy. Good luck and you'll enjoy the caliber gun combo you have

Boolit Master
    High energy loads in the Ruger 45 Colt revolvers are possible within reasonably safe Ruger Only loads; however, these power levels won't be enjoyable for most shooters and I agree if you need a steady diet of very high energy loads that a 44 magnum, 454, 475, 480, or 500 would be a better choice.

The beauty of the Ruger 45 Colt revolver is the ability to "load it for bear" for those few trips into bear country with comfortable standard duty loads for regular use.

For dangerous game applications I prefer to purchase Buffalo Bore ammo:

Heavy .45 Colt

Buffalo Bore offers .45 Colt loads suitable for hunting big game where deep penetration is required. All of Buffalo Bore's .45 Colt loads are advertised as "Heavy .45 Colt" and are for use only in modern heavy duty .45 Colt sixguns. There are three standard offerings. For maximum penetration, a hard cast 325 grain LBT-LFN at 1,325 fps; for penetration combined with expansion, a 300 grain Speer PSP (Plated Soft Point) at 1,300 fps; and for smaller critters where expansion is more important than deep penetration, Buffalo Bore offers a 260 grain jacketed hollow point at 1,450 fps. The fourth offering from Buffalo Bore was designed with the mid-framed Freedom Arms Model 97 .45 Colt in mind, and is a 300 grain Speer PSP at 1,200 fps.

This article by John Taffin covers this subject well:
    http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m.../ai_109265001/

Boomer
    Group Buy Honcho for 311440Mod, 312190-FNGC, 379230-GC, 380200-GC, 381268-PB, 360180-GC, 360180-PB, 413640-PB, 434330-GC, 434640-PB, 434640-GC, 454640-PB, 462420-PB, 462420-GC, 462420-PB Re-Run, 462420-GC Re-Run, 462640-PB, and 462640-GC Group Buys.

Lever Guns are my Passion!
    SASS Life 37141
    IHMSA 33587

Boolit Master
    Thanks to all for your input and expertise on the 45LC. There has been some really good input from you guys that understand the 45 Colt. I'll take all this information to heart and try hard not to blow my fool head off when there is actually no need.

Back in the days when I was shooting my .45 Colt Ruger Blackhawks (2) a lot, one of the loads I used was the Lyman 454424 which weighed 263 grs. in w.w. + 2% tin alloy in combination with W296 powder. Average velocity ran a shade over 1,400 f.p.s. and the cases practically fell from their chambers

Accuracy was pretty good as well with 50 yards groups running in the 2"-3" range if I did my part. Of course that was when I was able to see the open sights fairly well. Now those days are a distant memory.......

w30wcf
    aka w44wcf
    aka Jack Christian SASS 11993 "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
    aka John Kort
    NRA Life Member
    .22 W.C.F., .30 W.C.F., .44 W.C.F. Cartridge Historian

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by Changeling View Post
    First off I don't have any molds/bullets yet.

With all the posts I forgot to ask an obvious question.

Bullet example 265 gr LBT type. Is it safe to assume that I could load this bullet from say 1000 to 1400 fps with accurate loads in all speed areas or do most cast bullets have a sweet spot relative to velocity?
    Have you measured the chamber throats? Sizing bullets that fit is important to accuracy. Even hard bullets will lead and not be accurate if not sized correctly.

Banned

Felix, Joe, et al... Thanks for the input. I DO only "neck" size now, makes decapping a pain but extends case life especially if I anneal the "necks". Once the cases are "fire formed" to fit the chambers they work much better than full-length sizing. They kinda look like .44-40 scaled up a few percent, especially with the annealing marks emphasizing the "shoulder" just below the boolit base.

I was speculating the thicker case walls of the .454 would be less likely to cause head separation at higher pressures because there would be more metal in the walls to stretch and more support/less area in the head for the wall metal to migrate to. Also, there is less surface area in the case head for the pressure to act upon. Pascal's law dictates the pressure will be the same everywhere in the system but the surface area keeps the force down, same as why 30k psi doesn't blow out wimpy Large Pistol primers like chinese balloons.

I'm through hot-rodding the .45 Colt for a while, those experiences were with a friend's gun, he wanted a "bear hammer" for Colorado and didn't have or want a .44 Magnum. The hot loads performed well during testing and we used once-fired (in his chambers) for the real carry load. My only regret was we didn't have a wfn over 300 grains to play with at the time.

Gear

I think you guys are missing one point. Someone comes on the forum with little experience and asks about hot rodding 45 Colt. If he doesn't know, that screams to me he should follow the manuals closely.

I do this with any new project and I've been doing this for a long time. I started when the 357 Herrett was the hot thing. You are giving out HOT load data to people who may not know a safe way to get there.

And yes I think rugers are strong. But they fail too.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by geargnasher View Post

Also, there is less surface area in the case head for the pressure to act upon. Pascal's law dictates the pressure will be the same everywhere in the system but the surface area keeps the force down, same as why 30k psi doesn't blow out wimpy Large Pistol primers like chinese balloons
    Gear
    Not sure I understand this statement. Every spec I have says that head size is the same for both .45 Colt and .454 Casull. While there are very small variations in dimensions the only appreciable difference is case length. I have not sectioned either case to see what differences in cross sectional thickness exist. I don't load .45 Colt or .454 to max levels, so most of this is not a concern to me. There have been some threads here in which the use of .460 S&W cases shortened to .454 length is advocated to enable the use of large pistol primers. I would agree that loads should be kept below max if this is done. If max loads are wanted, I think that using .454 Casull brass should be standard practice. This is my opinion only and not backed up by extensive experience. If I'm off base here, please correct me.

John
    W.TN

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by alamogunr View Post
    Not sure I understand this statement. Every spec I have says that head size is the same for both .45 Colt and .454 Casull. While there are very small variations in dimensions the only appreciable difference is case length. I have not sectioned either case to see what differences in cross sectional thickness exist. I don't load .45 Colt or .454 to max levels, so most of this is not a concern to me. There have been some threads here in which the use of .460 S&W cases shortened to .454 length is advocated to enable the use of large pistol primers. I would agree that loads should be kept below max if this is done. If max loads are wanted, I think that using .454 Casull brass should be standard practice. This is my opinion only and not backed up by extensive experience. If I'm off base here, please correct me.

John
    W.TN
    John,

Bolt thrust, back thrust, etc., is measured from and depends on the total square area of the web inside the case. Many think the larger the outside head of the case the more thrust. Not so. The powder pressure is pushing on that web inside the case. Some cases have greatly exaggerated rebated rims, one is the 50 Beowulf for the AR15. That body is over .500 in diamter, but yet the rim is the same as the 7.62x39....and further more the thrust is much more then if the case body was a 7.62x39 because the internal area is much larger.

Joe

Boolit Grand Master
    Just my opinion but..............

If you want to shoot 45 Long Colt velocities, buy a 45 Long Colt.

If you're wanting to shoot 44 Mag. velocities, buy a 44 Mag.

Ben
    Last edited by Ben; 11-26-2009 at 01:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben View Post

If you're wanting to shoot 44 Mag. velocities, but a 44 Mag.

Ben
    Or a 454

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by StarMetal View Post
    John,

Bolt thrust, back thrust, etc., is measured from and depends on the total square area of the web inside the case. Many think the larger the outside head of the case the more thrust. Not so. The powder pressure is pushing on that web inside the case. Some cases have greatly exaggerated rebated rims, one is the 50 Beowulf for the AR15. That body is over .500 in diamter, but yet the rim is the same as the 7.62x39....and further more the thrust is much more then if the case body was a 7.62x39 because the internal area is much larger.

Joe
    Thanks for that info. I may try my hand at sectioning a .45 Colt and a .454 Casull case just to see the differences. I've seen pictures here of sectioned cases. What is the best way to do this and accomplish the desired end result?

John
    W.TN

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben View Post

If you're wanting to shoot 44 Mag. velocities, buy a 44 Mag.

Ben

Just my opinion...if you want to shoot 45 Colt velocities and 44 mag velocities, but a 454 or 460 S&W.

Joe

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by alamogunr View Post
    Thanks for that info. I may try my hand at sectioning a .45 Colt and a .454 Casull case just to see the differences. I've seen pictures here of sectioned cases. What is the best way to do this and accomplish the desired end result?

John
    W.TN
    Hack saw. Some use a dremel and cut-off wheel.

When you cut 'em open you'll see why I want to try the .454 brass one day.

Gear

Ps thanks Joe for further clarifying the explanation for my reasoning. INSIDE dimensions, where the pressure is, of course.

Banned
    Depending on how you section one you may get a flanged or rough edge. Make sure you trim the edge down even with the metal thickness so you get an accurate comparison.

Joe

Boolit Master

Thanks. I'll give it a try next week after everybody leaves. Too much family around now. I can't just disappear to the shop.

John
    W.TN