RepackboxLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingWidenersLoad Data
Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lee Pot temp incredibly stable!

In Remembrance

I actually hate to admit the following. I met up with AJ Peacock for coffee, I bought. He had samples of the molds he is currently casting, a 120 gr. 9mm, a wadcutter .38 and the 220 gr. .338. I asked how long he had been casting as I rolled the boolits around looking for telltale flaws. He replied he had just started! The boolits looked as good as any I turn out, and I`ve been casting 40 years+. This guy has done his homework on casting technique. He also is buying coffee next time we meet up.Robert

Quote Originally Posted by Hardcast416taylor View Post
    I actually hate to admit the following. I met up with AJ Peacock for coffee, I bought. He had samples of the molds he is currently casting, a 120 gr. 9mm, a wadcutter .38 and the 220 gr. .338. I asked how long he had been casting as I rolled the boolits around looking for telltale flaws. He replied he had just started! The boolits looked as good as any I turn out, and I`ve been casting 40 years+. This guy has done his homework on casting technique. He also is buying coffee next time we meet up.Robert
    Thanks Bob, You also bought breakfast, thanks again.

AJ

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Shiloh View Post
    Thats isurprizing. Especially when adding sprues, culls, and emptying the pot.

When I add sprues back in, the temp drops by about 75+ degrees.

SHiloh
    Which is why I pop my sprues back in as I cut them. They are still hot, and the mass is fairly low, so there is little effect on the melt.
    Echo
    USAF Ret
    DPS, 2600
    NRA Benefactor
    O&U
    One of the most endearing sights in the world is the vision of a naked good-looking woman leaving the bedroom to make breakfast. Bolivar Shagnasty (I believe that Lazarus Long also said it, but I can't find any record of it.)

Banned

AJ, I've been watching that PID thread, too!

FWIW, my Lee pro 4-20 (110 volt) usually struggles to keep up temp when brimming and overheats below 1/3, but that is to be expected. I cast between those levels, throwing back sprues every 10-20 pours or so, fluxing and stirring every other time I throw them back, sometimes adding an ingot with the sprues and taking a 5-minute potty/drink/snack/hand stretch break so it can heat up well again. If I do this the temp is stable to within 10* during casting. I'm very happy with my Lee for the "chips" I spent on it, and I didn't expect it to work very well either when I bought it, glad to hear someone else's is working as well too, but I can't justify building the pid toy now, either

Gear

Boolit Master
    As I cast, I'd occasionally drop the sprue's back into the pot. I made sure to drop the sprue's when the temp was up around 825F and this would drop the temp a degree or two (depending on how may sprue's I dropped in) When I was done, the pot was only 1/2 full but the temp was still holding steady.
    AJ, as you have discovered, with a single- or even a double-cavity mold, the Lee 20lb pot doesn't really need any help in maintaining a reasonably stable casting temp. This can even sometimes be enhanced by covering the pot with a simple piece of aluminum foil...

However, as you point out, after an hour, the pot is still half-full; single- and double- cavity molds don't empty those 20lb pots very fast. With a 4- or especially 6- holer, the picture changes dramatically-- I can easily drain a full 20lb pot in less than 1/2 hour with any of my 45 caliber 6-bangers, and even my 358's aren't far behind. I have to constantly adjust my pot's temp control down as I am casting, and sometimes will cool my mold for a few seconds in front of a fan between pours to help regulate temperature.

Thanks for posting your experieces, I appreciate it. All this talk about PID's and thermometers has got me thinking about applying a little more of the scientific method to my casting, I need to get a good thermometer and see what's really going on, and then go from there. I'm sure I could benefit from a good PID setup, and it would reduce some of the temperature-fiddling that I have to do now. It's kinda like the tachometer that I put on my lathe--it's not really necessary to do good work, but it definitely improves consistency and repeatability of the finished product, which makes life easier all around.
    lathesmith

Boolit Master

I've got both the LEE pro 20-4 and a Lyman bottom pour. I keep a thermometer in the pot and while the Lyman varies up and down as the 'stat goes on and off I have to keep nudging the LEE dial to maintain even temps. I use the LEE more as the Lyman is an old ten pounder and I run six hole molds almost exclusively.
    Marty-hiding out in the hills.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Echo View Post
    Which is why I pop my sprues back in as I cut them. They are still hot, and the mass is fairly low, so there is little effect on the melt.
    It sure make less of a mess as well.

Using the ventilation fan to cool the mold to speed up cycling is "cool" also.