Load DataTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingRepackbox
RotoMetals2 Inline Fabrication

Thread: .45 ACP small primer brass?

Boolit Master

.45 ACP small primer brass?

My father-in-law is forever picking up brass for me that others leave at the range. Today he was very proud to have snagged a whole box of .45 ACPs.

These are Fiocchis, and they have a small primer pocket. Has anyone ever heard of this? I was aware that some other calibers have been made with both sizes, but I didn't think .45 ACP was one of them. Should I pitch them, or load them as normal just with the correct primer?

Boolit Master

I was given several 1000 of 45 ACP brass with the small pistol primer pockets , Winchester I think

I also sorted out the ones from range pick up

IMO it loads the same

One of the guys that shoots bullseye that I know claims he only wants to use the small pistol 45 ACP brass because he gets better accurcy

John
    Yea, thou I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; for thou art with me; Thy rod and thy staff, they comfort me.
    And I carry a LOADED Hell Cat

Boolit Grand Master
    I separate it out and scrap it. Although it loads and shoots fine, it is a PITA when it inevitably gets mixed in with the regular 45 ACP. Puts a chink in the production line when one is encountered in the progressive press.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Boolit Master
    If I had a lot I would use them but like Shilo said, there a pain when you try to stuff a LP primer in one.

Boolit Master

Get one in the mix on a dillon 650 and it makes for a bad day.
    They are No tox . Some ranges require them.

Boolit Master
    First I ever heard of 45ACP cases with SP primers. Glad for the post and WILL double check any range pickups from now on.
    If a man has nothing greater to believe in than himself, he is a very lonely man.

In Remembrance

It is good brass and works great for the guys who single stage or use LEE turrets for reloading so I don't think I would scrap it.
    Last edited by lead-1; 10-25-2009 at 10:09 PM.

Boolit Bub
    Generally 45 ACP with a small primer pocket is some sort of "clean" load. Meaning a lead free primer. Winchester calls them WIN CLEAN. Federal, Speer, Winchester and Fiocchi all make something along these lines.

Ohio's BEST CCW resource: http://ohioccwforums.org/
    WinClean, WIN NT, etc. The non-toxic primers are supposedly hotter or something so they use a small primer. I have heard that if you reload them with a regular small pistol primer that you should use a magnum primer. Myself, I only get a few of them now and then so I sort them out and toss them in a deep dark corner of the reloading cabinet for a really rainy day.
    Due to market fluctuations I am no longer buying range scrap jackets.

Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc

Boolit Buddy
    If small primers will successfuly ignite .45 ACP, why can't they be used for other pistol and rifle cases? It would make life a lot simpler.

Boolit Master

In my testing working on the loads for the article on Heavy Bullets for the .45 ACP in the Ruger Blackhawk, I stumbled on to a plus for the small primer .45 ACP cases.

I was very wary about approaching the upper pressure limits with heavy bullets in .45 ACP cases. I ran out of prepared cases for a load I was testing and ran in some with small primers.

Velocity remained the same for the small primers and extraction was easier and recoil seemed lighter.

From these results, I was encouraged to try more of these cases. I found that I could squeeze a couple hundred FPS extra out of a given load with pressures that to me seemed to be in line with what I was getting from from lighter loads with large primers. Now, I'm basing this on primer appearance (I know, that's not an indicator) and ease of case extraction.

Based on this, I think the small primed .45 cases definitely have a desired place in teh reloading scheme of things. I'll take all I can get./beagle
    diplomacy is being able to say, "nice doggie" until you find a big rock.....

Boolit Buddy
    there are people looking for that brass win nt I imagine it sells well save it up and put on swappin

I was told that the small primers are indoor range brass! and they are a PIA to work with! might swap them out to somebody else IMO..

ive never had enough to make a dedicated run of sp 45acp

45 gap uses small too

i ran into one of those on a scrounge it was like finding a 380 in my 9mms something just didnt look quite right

i check the bottoms for win nt now i think ive only ever had about 20 of them and i just throw them out as i find them

Boolit Master

I'd save them but do like Evan Price and stick them in a corner for that day when you've run out of large pistol primers and only have small pistol primers on hand...Ray
    Proud member in the basket of deplorables.

I've got the itch, but don't got the scratch.

Boolit Master
    I had a box and they loaded and shot just fine.. I did save them for woods stomping, so I didn't worry about picking them up again... Kind of a relaxing feeling, not having to chase brass....
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by bohokii View Post
    ive never had enough to make a dedicated run of sp 45acp

45 gap uses small too

i ran into one of those on a scrounge it was like finding a 380 in my 9mms something just didnt look quite right

i check the bottoms for win nt now i think ive only ever had about 20 of them and i just throw them out as i find them
    What caused the extremely small type?