Load DataRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingWideners
RepackboxSnyders JerkyInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lead fumes while smelting

Boolit Mold

Lead fumes while smelting

Lead fumes while smelting

Do you guys use respirators while smelting and casting bullets?

Thanks in advance.
    Vg

Boolit Master
    Most of the time no.

I do try to avoid any smoke that come of the pot casting or smelting, but as long as you stay under 850 degrees you will not put lead "fumes" in the air.

More important is to use gloves and wash your hands instantly after handling any lead based alloy!

Eating and smoking should be avoided at all cost.

The real danger of "Fumes" will come from your brass cleaner. This is where I wear a resperator or a very filtered mask set up.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Do you guys use respirators while smelting and casting bullets?
    No I don't, but it is advisable to cast in a well ventilated area, preferably outdoors or if indoors (like a garage) - run a fan

As for 'lead fumes' there are no fumes from pure lead until it reaches it's boiling point of 3180 Fahrenheit. The fumes ones smells when casting are from the dross or flux in the lead which should be ventilated away from one breathing them
    Regards
    John

In Remebrance

No. I'm smart enough to stand upwind when smelting and there's no danger from lead when casting at normal temps. You're in more danger from not washing your hands after handling boolits.

Boolit Master
    No, and it's not the lead fumes that I'd be worried about. It's all the crap on the wheel weights or scrap lead. Do it in a well ventilated area, or better yet out doors.
    Qajaq59

One slow hit is better then 500 quick misses. "It ain't the noise that kills 'em!!!!"

What i find by far the worts is the yellow smoke that come from melting range scrap? That smells like it could be hazardous?! Is it?!

And the tape on the back of the stick-ons... boy that smells awfull too!
    The artist formerly known as Wiking

Boolit Master
    Nope. But then I have hearing problems related to not always wearing ear protection while working around jet engines.

I "smelt" outside and stay upwind. I cast in my garage and have never had any issues with smells associated with casting. I do not have any venting but am careful to not smoke or drink until after I have washed my hands.
    "To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical. " - Thomas Jefferson

"Mankind will in time discover that unbridled majorities are as tyrannical and cruel as unlimited despots." - John Adams

ehh your fine look at the romans they drank water from lead cups that came from lead pipes every day their whole lives and they built on of the greatest civilizations while only becoming a little crazy. I think playing w/ lead in a non ventilated area if anything would improve your life.

But really we know what lead can do to us. Not to sure about the other stuff that happens to get in there. I just make sure that I cant smell it and that there is air circulating and just to make sure I have the doc check me out every so often.
    Just use common since: smoke bad + lungs no like smoke = DONT BREATH SMOKE! I figured that out and I had one of those lead paint cribs.

Boolit Master in Heaven's Range HammerMTB's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 462 View Post
    Nope. But then I have hearing problems related to not always wearing ear protection while working around jet engines.
    Do I ever know that feelin'! Add my story, too much shootin' with no hearing protection!
    Now I hear the jet engines all day every day, and there's none around!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by qajaq59 View Post
    No, and it's not the lead fumes that I'd be worried about. It's all the crap on the wheel weights or scrap lead. Do it in a well ventilated area, or better yet out doors.
    Me too! The smoke from smelting junk lead may be toxic but you won't get the lead "fumes" until you reach a higher temp; 900 degrees or so. A lot of the "lead poisoning scare" is just political hype. Stand down wind or use a fan behind you and you'll be fine!

OOPS! stay UP WIND, not down wind.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by OutHuntn84 View Post
    ehh your fine look at the romans they drank water from lead cups that came from lead pipes every day their whole lives and they built on of the greatest civilizations while only becoming a little crazy. I think playing w/ lead in a non ventilated area if anything would improve your life.

But really we know what lead can do to us. Not to sure about the other stuff that happens to get in there. I just make sure that I cant smell it and that there is air circulating and just to make sure I have the doc check me out every so often.
    Just use common since: smoke bad + lungs no like smoke = DONT BREATH SMOKE! I figured that out and I had one of those lead paint cribs.
    They also sweetened their wine with lead as well. Actually ingested rather large doses, at least in the upper classes.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Actually ingested rather large doses, at least in the upper classes.
    Maybe some of our poloticians should take this up again! lol

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by OutHuntn84 View Post
    Maybe some of our poloticians should take this up again! lol
    They already have.... That's why we can't find any wheel weights!!!!
    Qajaq59

One slow hit is better then 500 quick misses. "It ain't the noise that kills 'em!!!!"

And why their decisions seem so dumb!
    "To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical. " - Thomas Jefferson

"Mankind will in time discover that unbridled majorities are as tyrannical and cruel as unlimited despots." - John Adams

now we know what's in obama's kool-aid

Boolit Master
    I cast outdoors, in the carport where the air moves. I have melted down some lead with some arsenic to it, kind of makes you sick for a day or two. Most of the time, people could benefit from keeping the casting set up mobile, where you can take it outside and back in when you finish. I have seen a few indoor set ups with fans, still, they fill the room up with smoke occasionally. Rather be outside.
    In all, the .41 Magnum would be one of my top choices for an all-around handgun if I were allowed to have only one. - Bart Skelton

Boolit Man
    Nope... I smelt and stand upwind, and cast in garage under a kitchen hood hooked up to a 1/3 hp blower and just sucks it out of there. No lead fumes until it boils... Toxic stuff on it though probably not a good thing but honestly, you're probably just concentrating the toxicity you normally breathe in a week over a matter of a day if you're standing over the pot.. Scary.

Boolit Buddy
    I cast and smelt outside, no reason to take any chances. But, that hood vent sounds like a winner too.

I wouldnt inhale any fumes from smelting WW's.So it is best to smelt outside or wear a mask or resperator.