MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Load DataInline Fabrication
Wideners Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cold weather casting?

Banned

Cold weather casting?

How cold will you still cast in?
    Anything special you do?
    I have to use my garage and it's unheated.
    I have some moulds coming and it will be cold before I get
    a chance to pour.
    Lookin to head off any problems.
    Thanks

Boolit Master

I'll cast if it's snowing outside...

Most people think Oklahoma is pretty warm yeah round compared to other states. The truth is if you live north of I-40 you get pretty harsh weather during the cold months. And if any o you remember two years ago Oklahoma city and Tulsa (where I live) were declared a national disaster area due to the ice storm that knocked out all the electrical, and most utilities.

My biggest problems were with using the Lee molds. It's just hard to keep them up to temp while casting in cold weather. If you use any iron, and maybe brass, mold you should be able to maintain the heat easier. Which is what you want for getting good boolits.
    JDGabbard's Feedback Thread

Jdgabbard's very own boolit boxes pattern!

GOA and FPC have done more in the last decade than your NRA has done in it's entire existence... Support the ones that actually do something for you.

My biggest problems were with using the Lee molds. It's just hard to keep them up to temp while casting in cold weather. If you use any iron, and maybe brass, mold you should be able to maintain the heat easier. Which is what you want for getting good boolits.
    Think maybe sitting your molds on an iron or a hot plate would keep them to temp. or atleast slow down there cooling?

Boolit Grand Master
    I cast around 16 degrees once to try out a new mold. I prefer it to be above 45 for comfort.

Benn casting for about three weeks now. Pretty much have next years supply cast up.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Boolit Master

Casting in cold weather

I cast year around out in my garage shop with plenty of ventilation. One caveat is to make sure all tools that come into contact with the melt are pre-heated before introducing them to the melt.
    This means, stirring spoons, thermometers, etc. This is especially important as the weather gets colder.
    It's all chicken, even the beak!

I prefer really cold temps for casting. Here in Kommiefornia, about low 40s is the best it gets, that's when I want to be casting. If it snowed & got down to single digits, that seems just about perfect. Low air temps help keep the mold & me from over heating.

Banned
    really cold here is -20
    I would settle for something that works good in the teens

From zero to 90+. It don't matter. I use a turkey fryer burner, 40 lb pot, and ladel so I just snuggle a little closer to the pot when it gets real cold. Sometimes put a Lil Buddy propane heater behind me. Just like ice fishing.

Banned

i work outside all year around and there ain't no way i am gonna cast in the cold weather.
    it gets -30 or more here at times. [we have to go put the calves in the barn or they will freeze]
    i built the garage in and added a wood stove.
    i try to maintain even temp and humidity when casting from the summer to the winter..
    a warmer would be how i done it if it got below 50.

Boolit Buddy

I've cast at about -20° F, maybe a little colder. I used an Lee melter, and, other than a little extra effort keeping the mould at temperature, there wasn't anything unusual about it.

The only real problem was keeping me warm. The feet got cold first. There's not much you can do for them. Felt boot liners slow the cold down, but the feet still get cold, Hands were easy to keep warm - just hold them over the pot. A hat took care of the ears and head.

Generally when your feet feel really cold you're ready to go inside anyway.

That is why I retired to Florida!, No more wool hats, insulated boots, gloves, long underwear.
    My only concern now is being careful casting in shorts and a tee shirt and enough sunblock!

I prefer it to be above freezing otherwise my little spray bottle of water for cooling off the mold keeps freezing up on me. It would also cause problems with water-dropping, I suppose.
    Rick

Boolit Buddy
    biggest thing is going to be ventilation. never cast in a closed area.
    Have lead, Will cast

Boolit Man
    Central western Virginia where I 77 & I 81 come together
    My shooting "shack" is not insulated so I probably wouldn't cast with the temperature around 20 or below here at the foot of a mountain in VA. Other than that I prefer to cast in the cool and cold.
    vita est breves

jerrold

Boolit Grand Master

I've waited all Summer for these cooler temps to cast in. Early mornings now are 40+ and highs are mid 70s. I use a hot plate to preheat alloy and molds. Lee 6 cav. molds need a little heat during casting if I slow down, or take a break.
    I haven't dug out the heavy cloths yet, so my leather apron covers my cargo shorts.
    I find smelting and casting much less fun in the Summer. Now that I'm retired, and have total choice in the matter, it's no longer a chore.
    Until really cold weather, I'm under a carport. If it turns raw I clean out the fireplace in the garage, and cast under the chimney.
    Why on earth didn't I retire 5 years ago?????

In Remebrance

I have seen -50 and below. Not fun, not fun at all. I cast in the old milk room of my barn. A Kerosun heater makes it bearable. A piece of inexpensive carpet or, better, a hunk of foil faced rigid insulation to stand on will go a long way toward keeping you warm.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207 View Post
    I have seen -50 and below. Not fun, not fun at all. I cast in the old milk room of my barn. A Kerosun heater makes it bearable. A piece of inexpensive carpet or, better, a hunk of foil faced rigid insulation to stand on will go a long way toward keeping you warm.
    Bret,

Was that temperature seen in NY?

Joe

Boolit Master
    I prefer it a little cooler, you can cast faster Seriously, you gotta wear suitable clothes anyway so its much better to be a little cooler than hot. I do 90% of my casting thru the winter. As long as its not unbearable cold.

I think the person would be the limiting factor.

Quote Originally Posted by kyle623 View Post
    biggest thing is going to be ventilation. never cast in a closed area.
    I would say never "smelt" in a closed area (stinky and smoky). Casting with clean ingots at 650-800 degrees will NOT give off any lead fumes. Gotta get wayyyy hotter before lead begins to let off fumes. If you feel better casting with venting, by all means do it, but as for northern Wisconsin, bring on the heated garage. In the winter, I like to keep my garage at just above freezing for the dog's water to stay unfrozen. When casting, I raise it to around 50-55 and am very comfortable.
    "To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical. " - Thomas Jefferson

"Mankind will in time discover that unbridled majorities are as tyrannical and cruel as unlimited despots." - John Adams

I cast year round. For the winter nothing beats the chemical foot warmers you can buy now. I just slip one in each boot and my feet remain warm during casting out in the unheated garage. I'll do it to -10F then I say where is a good book. Up here it really doesn't get all that cold so casting all year is no big deal.

Take Care

Bob
    Its been months since I bought the book, "How to scam people online". It still has not arrived yet!

"If the human population held hands around the equator, a significant portion of them would drown"