Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingWidenersInline Fabrication
RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Load Data
Lee Precision

Thread: My first try at casting

My first try at casting

With a lot of help from you guys on the forum, I cast my first 100 boolits this week - Lee TL356-124=2r double cavity. I've loaded up ten of them at 3.5 grains of bullseye to make sure they cycle the action of my CZ75 before I do any mass production. I did have to get the Lee double cavity very hot to produce good casts but once I got the hang of it, it seemed pretty straigtforward. I do need a little more experience to learn just the right time to cut the sprue and drop the boolits. Out of a little more than a hundred I wound up culling 7 that had the krinkled noses or poorly filled out bases. all in all, alot of fun and just thought I'd share. (see pic)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG00112[1].jpg  

Congratulations, you've taken your first steps down a long and slippery slope. That's a good start and, like all the better vices, you'll get better with practice. Enjoy it...
    Rick

Yep, good job and your sprue cuts i can see look pretty good. Shoot those puppies!
    "To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical. " - Thomas Jefferson

"Mankind will in time discover that unbridled majorities are as tyrannical and cruel as unlimited despots." - John Adams

Congrats!! They look great and welcome to the addiction!

Boolit Man
    I will be the no-one-is-so-bad-that-they-can't-serve-as-a-good-example. Rolling big-lube boolits for cas bp shooting; I serviced my 6-up mold, but left out a spring washer on the sprue plate. Result was about 75% yield when I went to the lube-sizer. I've been casting for about a year; there is no recompense for errors, beyond melting them and trying again. That's the good part--your worst mistake could maim you; you do your best to avoid that; remelting boolits is the least of your worries. I'm not a pro, just long in the tooth and experienced. You'll get there also. See ya round the campfire. mm
    Malpais Mike

Boolit Master
    Welcome to a good hobby. It's fun isn't it?
    Qajaq59

One slow hit is better then 500 quick misses. "It ain't the noise that kills 'em!!!!"

Boolit Grand Master
    Good boolits. If it means turning up the heat, so be it. My LEE six bangers have to be a little on the warm side to cast good boolits, but never the less, they cast good boolits.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Boolit Bub
    I, too, made my first attempt at casting this week. I came to the same conclusion as you did with my Lee mold, keep it nice and toasty.

It took me a little longer than you to figure that out, though. I probably had a 70% rejection rate, so you did pretty good.

Happy casting.

Boolit Buddy
    I'm new at it too and your bases look sort of like my first ones did out of my Lee 429-200-RF. They look ever so slightly rounded.

I got a little light leading off mine but I'm pushing them a bit.

I strive to get a sharp corner on the base and those don't lead when pushed hard. To do that I find I really have to have the mold hot. Heat the sprue plate by dipping the part you whack to open it in the melt for about 10 seconds and I bet you get nicer looking bases. I did.

I am just starting to cast and I am casting 9mm also and using bullseye. My casting has seemed to be pretty good. I am concerned about leading the barrel. What do I look for? I have never seen a leaded barrel.

Also your cast bullets look good.
    Bob T

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by rwt101 View Post
    I am concerned about leading the barrel. What do I look for? I have never seen a leaded barrel.
    You'll see strips of lead along the rifling. Believe me, when you see it, you'll know what it is.
    It's like seeing your first rattler. Even if you've never seen one, you know what it is instantly.
    Matt

44 Special Articles

With regards to gun control in this country, everyone should be asking themselves one question:
    What is it that this government feels they need to do, but can't do, unless the citizens of this nation are first disarmed?
    (I seriously doubt you can come up with any plausible answers that you will like...)

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ