Boolit Master

The LAST State to allow Conceal Carry -The new 5O

Scales

Balance Beam Reloading Scales
    or
    Electronic Reloading Scales

Do any Electronic Reloading Scales work reading review they're scarey
    LOYALTY ABOVE ALL ELSE, EXCEPT HONOR

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading." -- Thomas Jefferson

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat."
    Theodore Roosevelt

NRA
    BENEFACTOR LIFE MEMBER

Boolit Master in Heaven's Range HammerMTB's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dcp View Post
    Do any Electronic Reloading Scales work reading review they're scarey
    The internet is full of strong opinions. You will find those who hate most any and every thing, and the internet is a favored place to vent that hate.
    That said, I have an electronic scale I like a lot. It's the cheapy Frankford Arsenal job, on sale at times for as little as $20.
    I would not stake my health on charges of Bullseye from it exclusively. I have a beam scale, and check the FA against that often. It works fine, but won't respond to small changes in charge (read trickler over scale pan). There are places to use it and places not.
    It is the cat's *** for weighing a bunch of boolits. Fast.

Boolit Master
    Ditto.......Ditto above, some will complain about anything and everything.

You want an electronic scale to respond to trickler accurately...you have to pay for it. Like anything else.........you get what you pay for.

Do lots of research, and consider the reviewer.......who may be very biased.

Choose wisely,

Jon
    Col 2:13-17

Boolit Master

I have a pact that has been flawless for the last two years and would highly recomend them plus their American made. At the same time though I check mine with a full set of scale weights not just the two that come with it. And I still keep a beam for a backup. FB

Boolit Grand Master

I have the RCBS ChargeMaster and the Dillon scale. When I weigh out a charge with the RCBS and then pour it into the Dillon they match to the 10th of a grain, if one of them is off they are both off the same amount. I wouldn't be without them.

Rick
    "The people never give up their freedom . . . Except under some delusion." Edmund Burke

"Let us remember that if we suffer tamely a lawless attack on our liberty, we encourage it." Samuel Adams

NRA Benefactor Life Member
    CRPA Life Member

are going to weigh bullets use an electronis , if powder use a balance beam..............Dean
    lover of 74 sharps
    MYWEIGH scale merchant
    " i'll tell the story 10 different ways before I'll lie to you."

Le Loup Solitaire

Scales

I have used two Redding beam scales with the brown crinkle finish for the last 4 decades. I originally had a pharmacist friend make two sets of checkweights; one from a series of clean coins and the second from small sections of copper wire. I have always kept them in two small airtight pill bottles. I check my scales every time I set them up and sometimes check a powder load on both when setting my measure. Beam scales are slower than electronic scales I'm told, but I've never been that much in a rush or had a need to go that route. Those who have larger needs or narrower time limits or requirements will probably do better with the electronic versions and the best advice to give in that direction is to spend the extra bucks to get a good reliable one and even then have some sort of backup means of/for checking it. I once learned that it is better to be safe than sorry. LLS

Boolit Master

I had that cheap Frankford Ars scale for quite some time. It did respond well to my trickler, as I'd go back and weigh again on my beam to check accuracy. I don't have it anymore because I accidentally dropped a die on it. It didn't respond well after that.... As a matter of fact it would just continuously think that it was having weight added to it...

What I eventually ended up doing, and have had great luck with this, is just to use a powder meter, and then weigh every 5th to 10th charge on my Lee balance beam. The Lee seems to throw consistent charges. But this is after my addition of a home made baffle. If you're not familiar with these its essentially just a piece of metal or plastic that drops into the the meter and keeps the weight of the powder on the nozzle consistent. Its worked so far...
    JDGabbard's Feedback Thread

Jdgabbard's very own boolit boxes pattern!

GOA and FPC have done more in the last decade than your NRA has done in it's entire existence... Support the ones that actually do something for you.

Boolit Buddy

Boolit Master

I have a RCBS 10-10 and a charge master 1500 and also the Pact 2 BBK. I always check the electric ones against the beam scale and have had no problems.I too am a little leary of the electronic stuff but have nothing bad to say about them. I used to have a cabelas electronic scale that was junk so it had to go.

Boolit Grand Master
    My PACT is a fine electronic scale and I trust it implicitly, after calibrating it, of course.

No electronic scale responds to "trickling" powder in the pan properly. The load cell is not that sensitive to small additions of weight.

Dispense the charge in the pan, then set it on the electronic scale to be weighed. That's how they're meant to be used.

If you're a trickler, use a balance beam scale. Electronic scales don't "catch up" to the small additions of weight that trickling provides very well. Or, as mentioned, add the powder first, then weigh it.

Boolit Buddy

Arrow Electronic Scales Work for Me...

Like "Firebricker", I have Pact's. 2 to be exact, Keep them plugged in all the time & turned off. They are both over 5 yrs old, Had a problem with one early on, sent it back & factory repaired & returned for $10, I check them regularly with check weights, they are spot on all the time. Check weights are .1 to 500 grans. They can be calibrated for small charges only or for larger loads, two ways. Both work with the Pact auto dispenser, which I had upgraded last yr, now is faster & more accurate. [ American Made ]. My 2¢, Russ.

Black Powder 100%

Livingston, La. 20 miles east of Baton Rouge, La.
    I have a 1010, 510 in balance beams. About 4 years ago I bought a RCBS Micro-Pro. It broke on me and when I called RCBS I was told to send it to PACT as they made it. Sent it back twice before it was repaired. Purchased a ACW scale off flea bay and it is dead on all the time. I have checked it with the 1010 and 510 and a set of check weights. It was so good that I just bought another one. The best thing is that they cost $24.00 delivered to your door. I'm now a believer in electronic scales.
    Shooter of the "HOLY BLACK" SASS 81802 AKA FAIRSHAKE; NRA ; BOLD; WARTHOG;Deadwood Marshal;Bayou Bounty Hunter; So That his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat; 44 WCF filled to the top, 210 gr. bullet

Boolit Master
    Some guys like the electronic and I happen to like the balance beam. However.... I think we can all agree that whichever one you get, make it the very best you can afford. You're going to have it for a long time so the money wont be wasted. A cheap scale is nothing but a funny looking paperweight.
    Qajaq59

One slow hit is better then 500 quick misses. "It ain't the noise that kills 'em!!!!"

I have 3 scales, 2 balance beam and one electronic. The electronic is really nice, but it can be a pain to use at times. It keeps shutting itself off to save the battery, then i have to start it up and recalibrate it all over. If you are going to weigh something like cast bullets, or cases to seperate them into lots, the electronic one that i have, works great for that. But for throwing powder charges, i will stick to my balance beams. With a balance beam, i can detect `1 kernel of powder dropping, with the electronic one, not. Also, you do know the deal with anything elecronic don't you? It is headed for failure the first time you turn it on. How long that will be is anybody's guess. But i would not want to stake my life on one.

Boolit Master

I use digitals for seperating components and I use beams for powder.

I also use the digital where it makes sense, like when making Mexican Match ammo I use it to weigh every pull down powder charge so I can write it down and decide on what charge to use when reloading them.

Bought the RCBS Chargemaster combo on sale a while back, then after reading the Internet on what makes them respond properly bought a AC filter and also printed out the reprogramming instructions. That project might happen this winter. I want to shoot across the course high power again next year and being able to push a button and dump the powder charge sure would make things go a lot faster. When your shooting 100 rounds at least everytime you practice something like that can save you a lot of lost range time.

In short, right now, the digitals makes me wary so I don't use them for powder.

Boolit Buddy
    I just recently tried my first digital posted here:http://www.castboolits.gunloads.com/...ad.php?t=63132 I think I would check it every few throws of powder with my beams though.

be

In a scale, you do get what yo upay for. I have had a Dillon digital for years now, in fact my second. The early model had trouble holding a zero. This new model is right on, every time. I also have a RCBS 505 as my backup. The beam scales are accurate but slow & a good digital is accurate & faster. Just don' buy cheap. The Dillon beam scale is $50, best buy in any scale IMO.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 35remington View Post
    My PACT is a fine electronic scale and I trust it implicitly, after calibrating it, of course.

No electronic scale responds to "trickling" powder in the pan properly. The load cell is not that sensitive to small additions of weight.

Dispense the charge in the pan, then set it on the electronic scale to be weighed. That's how they're meant to be used.

If you're a trickler, use a balance beam scale. Electronic scales don't "catch up" to the small additions of weight that trickling provides very well. Or, as mentioned, add the powder first, then weigh it.
    NOT SO YOUNG MAN
    i have an mx-123 lab scale (denver instruments), it is sensitive to .02 with a resolution of .03( if i got the names right).
    with things like varget you can see a single grain added.

like all things you pays your money and you takes your chances. this scale is over $300, sits on a granite slab 12x18 x3......
    i have a older ohaus beam and a ohaus lab beam.
    i use the beam to set my powder measures.
    i use the mx123 for most small lot match ammo.
    for boolit/bullet sorting i use the mx-123....but you do not have to wait for the scale to stop, just wait for it to fall into the range you have settled on.

benchrest powder/bullets/cases all get done on the mx-123

a scale that is +/-0.1 means you can easily be off .2.....sometimes no big deal sometimes it is.

mike in co
    only accurate rifles are interesting

Boolit Grand Master
    Mike, if that's so, I stand corrected. If you pay enough money, and 300 dollars is a great plenty, you can get around it, I suppose. However, it's worth pointing out that a simple beam scale can record the addition of a single grain of powder as well.......at far, far less cost than that.

None of the reasonable cost, reloader type electronic scales I've tried from PACT, Hornady, et. al. can manage trickling powder very well, so the information I've posted is relevant to the most commonly purchased ones found on the reloader's shelf that typically run in the 100 to 200 dollar range. I've used a pretty fair number of those owned by either myself or someone else.

Some of the imports are so poor I wouldn't even weigh bullets with them. One good example I own uses such a poor calibration procedure, with such overheavy calibration weights that the low end of pistol weight powder charges is several tenths of a grain off, and there's absolutely no way to calibrate it to a proper zero with my scale check weights.

In addition, it's afflicted with "wandering zero" as an object weighed today does not weigh what it did yesterday. It comes in a neat carrying case, with a good layout and with what seems to be good quality, but the actual execution leaves something to be desired. Cost me a little over 90 bucks on sale about four years ago and it wasn't worth it.

I'll stick with my 110 dollar PACT and the beam balance scale for trickling. The PACT is greatly convenient for weighing an object "all at once" and serves just fine for that to save time. Trickling powder on a 300 dollar electronic scale doesn't save much time over a beam scale as the trickling is the slow part of the process. My use of an electronic scale is to save time, and that's where I use it.