WidenersTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationLoad Data
Snyders Jerky

Thread: Dental x-ray foil - any zinc?

Boolit Bub

Dental x-ray foil - any zinc?

I have about 16-20 lbs. of dental x-ray foil saved by my wife (dental assistant). I have smelted it into ingots. I did not note any problems when smelting.

This stuff is definitely not pure lead. It's a lot harder. I don't have a tester, but I did a quick and dirty test by compressing a nut between the x-ray foil ingot and some known alloy ingots. It appears to be a lot harder than WW and a lot softer than Linotype. I'm guessing it's about BHN 16. Yes, I know it's a guess - but it is definitely hard stuff.

As a new caster, I am a bit concerned that there could be zinc in this stuff. What do you folks think?

Thanks!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by vincewarde View Post
    I have about 16-20 lbs. of dental x-ray foil saved by my wife (dental assistant). I have smelted it into ingots. I did not note any problems when smelting.

This stuff is definitely not pure lead. It's a lot harder. I don't have a tester, but I did a quick and dirty test by compressing a nut between the x-ray foil ingot and some known alloy ingots. It appears to be a lot harder than WW and a lot softer than Linotype. I'm guessing it's about BHN 16. Yes, I know it's a guess - but it is definitely hard stuff.

As a new caster, I am a bit concerned that there could be zinc in this stuff. What do you folks think?

Thanks!
    I've used lots of dental film backers and never had a problem with them. I asked my dental office what brand of film they used and was told Kodak. I contacted Kodak and they told me the composition was 99% lead and 1% tin. My hardness tester kinda "confirms" this to be true as the boolits cast from this alloy are around Saeco 5-6. I suggest you have your wife determine what brand film they use and go from there as I did. Perhaps different mfr's use different alloys for their backers?!
    It's all chicken, even the beak!

Boolit Master

i just got 12 lbs of x ray foil from a friend , ive never used any before , i thought it was lead ? i might make a bullet and test the hardness with my lbt hardness tester

Boolit Buddy
    Years ago I bought about 30# of that stuff cheep. It melted nice and cast very nice although it had a frosted look to it when the melt was not that hot and a bullet set on the anvil and smacked with a hammer shattered like glass. Never did shoot any of it as I think it was just too hard for my needs.

Boolit Master

I have a bunch of those sheets(aprox 1 1/2" X 2") and mine seem as though they are 1-2% Tin slight amount of Antimony and lead.
    They make perfect bullets, fillout is perfect at a low temp, as long as the mold is up to temp.
    Mine seem to have a good amount of Tin, there is no surface tension, just as if i added 1%- 2% Tin to a pure lead batch.

Boolit Master
    I used to work for Kodak Dental X-Ray. I e-mailed some friends a while back for their alloy composition.

I just got this from Kodak Dental X-ray. The lead they use is Lead >96%, Tin 1.5% +/- 0.1%, Antimony 1.5% +/- 0.1%.

There are other suppliers of Dental X-Ray packets, who knows what they use. Kodak is the largest supplier (now Carestream).

Boolit Bub

Update on my dental lead

Since my first post I have made up a batch of Lyman #2. I did the crush test comparison with the Lyman #2 and the dental lead - and they seem to be the same as far as hardness is concerned. I have no idea what was in the stuff, but I will proceed as though it's BHN 15 or so.

Thanks everybody!

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Woof, good information about Kodak ... Thanks
    Using alot of XRay foils from several dentists, I've found the majority of the stuff is Bhn 8.7 (1:30 range) and did get some that was Bhn 9.8 (1:20 range)
    Regards
    John