RepackboxLoad DataRotoMetals2Wideners
Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Inline Fabrication

Thread: Auction price advice

Auction price advice

I need some advice on fair auction prices on a few Winchesters.

The first is a John Wayne Commemorative in 32-40. Looks nice, but can't say it's unfired. Might have the box with it, but not in great shape.

Then there's a Japanese Winchester model 92 in 44-40. It also is pristine, but can't say unfired.

Third is a Winchester model 9422. At least excellent shape, if not pristine. Probably been fired. In it's box.

Last is the one that really makes my liver quiver. It's a Winchester model 94 in 45 Colt. It has the tang safety, which is nearly hidden by a Marples tang sight. It is in near new condition, but probably has been fired.

The only other Winchester lever I have was given to me, so I really don't have the experience to gauge the values of these rifles. I mostly just don't want to get hurt too badly on them if I should be lucky enough to be the high bidder on any of them.

All advice greatly appreciated. Are any of these anything really special?

In my opinion, the 92 is a real opportunity. I've never seen, or heard of a Miroku 92 in 44 w.c.f. That would be a very desirable cowboy gun.

For some reason, the John Wayne Commemoratives have unusually high asking prices. There were other 94s in 32-40 that seem to demand less in the dollar department. I like John Wayne, but it's a rifle not him you're buying. Also, these seem to be pretty common.

Again, my opinion, but I'd much rather have a Marlin 39 than a Winchester 9422. These modern Winchesters don't really have much sentimental or collector value.

Model 94s in pistol calibers (45 Colt) are not desirable because the 94 action is designed for rifle length cartridges (30-30, 32-40, 38-55) and does not handle short cartridges dependably or smoothly. So, maybe some schnapps for your liver....

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say the 92 would turn my head at any price below 700 bucks.
    Last edited by August; 09-12-2009 at 12:37 PM.
    That I could be wrong is an eventuality that has not escaped me. I just painted the pictures as I saw them. I do not know how to do anything else. (Saint Elmer, 1955)

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance Four Fingers of Death's Avatar
    It might be different in the states, but unless the rifles have definelty not been fired and are absolutely mint, they are not worth a real lot here. Second hand, they generally bring a bit more than standard guns in the same condition. It is hard to beat the dealers down as they know someone who doesn't know the real value (or lack of it) will wander in and suffer from shinyobjectitus and spend way more than he should.

That 92 soulds good if you have the details correct. Is it a Winchester or a Browning? We saw Brownings out here and they were nice guns, but only in 357 or 44 Mag. If it is a 44/40 it is a rare one and worth buying (in reality, the 44 Mag is a better gun, but that a 44/40 would be a rarity and as such desirable. Check that it hasn't been re-barrelled, that will lower it's valus (but not usefullness) greatly. If it has been re-barrelled it will normally not have many markings on teh bbl, usually just the calibre and this is usually put on the LHS of the bbl not far in front of the action.

But don't let purty cloud your vision, check out the prices of new and good used ones in your area to give you a baseline to work from. As a rule, I would work to is that if I wanted it as a collector (which I don't) I'd be prepared to pay a bit over new rifle price, but it would have to be 100% perfect! For one in excellent condition but not new in box so to speak, about half way between the price of a new one and a second hand one.

Of course if I reallyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy liked the rifle, I might go a bit more than normal. I bought a Classic showing a fair bit of use, with great wood and paid about a $100 more than I thought it was worth, but it was what I wanted and had good wood. Also I had never seen one before or since, so I grabbed it.

There was a 38/55 at the local gunshop for years and I wanted it and it was unfired, but the guy wanted too much money for it and it kept getting dearer. If it wasn't for the cat's ear sights I might have closed my eyes and bought it, but paying over the odds and then having to spring for new sights didn't grab me. I have a feeling that it was a John Wayne commemmorative.

It doesn't matter if you pay a bit too much, if it is just what you want, its going to last as long as you want it to, its real hard to wear these things out, just be armed with the info. It is one thing to pay a bit too much, knowing about it for a gun you really want, but it is another thing altogether to pay too much unwittingly and feel angry and cheated about it later.

Don't buy one as an investment, these guns came out mostly in the early-mid 80s from memory. If they were good investments, they'd be worth three or four thousand dollars now! Think about it.

Good luck.
    Last edited by Four Fingers of Death; 09-12-2009 at 05:52 AM.
    "I'll help you down the trail and proud to!" Rooster Cogburn.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

SASS Life Member No 82047

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/

Psycholigist to Sniper; 'What did you feel when you shot the felon Sargeant?'
    Sniper to Psycholigist; 'Recoil Ma'am.'

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

"In my opinion, the 92 is a real opportunity. I've never seen, or heard of a Miroku 92 in 44 w.c.f. That would be a very desirable cowboy gun."

A few years back, Davidson's commissioned limited editions (500 each) of Miroku '92 Short Rifles in .357 Mag, .32-20, .44-40 and (I think), .38-40. They had 20" octagon barrels, rifle forend/forend irons, crescent buttplates, straight grips, rebounding hammers and tang safeties.

IIRC, at the time they sold for about $750 or $800 new. A friend has one of the .357's, and it is a very nicely built rifle, with excellent finish, wood/metal fit, functions and shoots well. They are marked "1 of 500" on one of the barrel flats.

I hope this helps,
    John

Banned

i just paid 750 for a 90% 375 win 94.
    a good re-make 92 new is in the 600 range nowdays.
    if you can get the 94 in the 400-500 range or the others under 650 or so it would be about right.
    a 94 30-30 in good range 80+% is in the 450 range..
    the 44-40 can be jacked up in a good handload to run right with the 44 mag.

Moderator Emeritus

Howja do?
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Skunked on levers...

Quote Originally Posted by MT Gianni View Post
    Howja do?
    Well, guys, it was an interesting auction. A brief recap of the guns I mentioned and their sale price.

The John Wayne commemorative, nib, went for $1400. About retail, I think.

The Model 92, in 44-40, went for $650. I have serious doubts that it was a Model 92. It did have the Winchester info and Made in Japan on the barrel, but no where did it say what model it was. It was right next to a Model 94, and to me, they looked identical. I let it go at that price, because I didn't really want to add another pistol caliber to the collection.

The Winchester Model 94, in 45 Colt, went for $875. My last bid was $850 because I just couldn't see spending that much when I can order a Model 92 knockoff in 45 colt for $550, or so. It did have a Marbles tang sight on it and all of the Winchester levers had fantastic triggers. Very smooth and crisp. Had to have been worked over.

The Win Model 9422s sold for $575 and $1100. The first being a plain wood model and the second a High Grade Legacy, 22Mag, with Exhibition Grade wood.

The least expensive Marlin Model 39 went for $400, and several others brought even more than that.

The cheapest of several 10/22s w/scopes was $240 and several over $400. I never figured that out.

A pair of Vaqueros went for $500 and $525. They were in like new condition, both 44-40s.

A Win 1885, Limited Series in 45-90 brought $850

A Browning 1885, in 45-70, brought $770

There was an old unfired Blackhawk, 3 screw, in 41Mag that went for $675.

Even though I didn't score any levers, this time, I did come home with a few new toys. A S&W Model 15-2 followed me home. I wanted a 38 for shooting those 75gr wad cutters, once I finally get a mold. The other revolver I brought home was a new in the box USFA Rodeo. I've been after a shorter barrel 45 than my Blackhawk Bisley.

I also managed to snag two long guns. The first a Win 1897 shotgun in 16ga. Not real pretty, but should be fun. The second was a Springfield Armory 1903. It has a pristine two groove barrel and a very nice stock. It was missing the front sling swivel and what ever goes into the bottom of the barrel band. The sight is also dinged a little, but I'm psyched about getting it for only $500. It shot jacketed very well. I have to get dies so I can start stuffing boolits through it. I'll have to do some research to figure out what I need to get it back to as issued.

The score of the day may have been about 1200 45ACP cases, mixed, for $7. It is cleaning up very nicely and should keep the grease gun well fed.

That's probably about all of the best info from the sale.

Gents, thanks greatly for the advice on the lever actions. I'll get out this week and get a Model 92 in 45 Colt ordered.

M

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by McKenzie View Post
    Well, guys, it was an interesting auction. A brief recap of the guns I mentioned and their sale price.

The John Wayne commemorative, nib, went for $1400. About retail, I think.

The Model 92, in 44-40, went for $650. I have serious doubts that it was a Model 92. It did have the Winchester info and Made in Japan on the barrel, but no where did it say what model it was. It was right next to a Model 94, and to me, they looked identical. I let it go at that price, because I didn't really want to add another pistol caliber to the collection.

The Winchester Model 94, in 45 Colt, went for $875. My last bid was $850 because I just couldn't see spending that much when I can order a Model 92 knockoff in 45 colt for $550, or so. It did have a Marbles tang sight on it and all of the Winchester levers had fantastic triggers. Very smooth and crisp. Had to have been worked over.

The Win Model 9422s sold for $575 and $1100. The first being a plain wood model and the second a High Grade Legacy, 22Mag, with Exhibition Grade wood.

The least expensive Marlin Model 39 went for $400, and several others brought even more than that.

The cheapest of several 10/22s w/scopes was $240 and several over $400. I never figured that out.

A pair of Vaqueros went for $500 and $525. They were in like new condition, both 44-40s.

A Win 1885, Limited Series in 45-90 brought $850

A Browning 1885, in 45-70, brought $770

There was an old unfired Blackhawk, 3 screw, in 41Mag that went for $675.

Even though I didn't score any levers, this time, I did come home with a few new toys. A S&W Model 15-2 followed me home. I wanted a 38 for shooting those 75gr wad cutters, once I finally get a mold. The other revolver I brought home was a new in the box USFA Rodeo. I've been after a shorter barrel 45 than my Blackhawk Bisley.

I also managed to snag two long guns. The first a Win 1897 shotgun in 16ga. Not real pretty, but should be fun. The second was a Springfield Armory 1903. It has a pristine two groove barrel and a very nice stock. It was missing the front sling swivel and what ever goes into the bottom of the barrel band. The sight is also dinged a little, but I'm psyched about getting it for only $500. It shot jacketed very well. I have to get dies so I can start stuffing boolits through it. I'll have to do some research to figure out what I need to get it back to as issued.

The score of the day may have been about 1200 45ACP cases, mixed, for $7. It is cleaning up very nicely and should keep the grease gun well fed.

That's probably about all of the best info from the sale.

Gents, thanks greatly for the advice on the lever actions. I'll get out this week and get a Model 92 in 45 Colt ordered.

M

Real quick way to tell a 92 between a 94 is the 92 has two locking lugs that come up along the bolt near the real. Usually they are shiney unblued metal in the white. The 94's locking lug is behind the bolt.

Don't believe that pistol caliber 94's aren't reliable, feed bad, and rough to cycle....simply not true.

Joe

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance Four Fingers of Death's Avatar
    saw an ad in an aussie gun mag, John Wayne Commerative 44/40, $3900!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    "I'll help you down the trail and proud to!" Rooster Cogburn.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

SASS Life Member No 82047

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/

Psycholigist to Sniper; 'What did you feel when you shot the felon Sargeant?'
    Sniper to Psycholigist; 'Recoil Ma'am.'

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."