RepackboxRotoMetals2WidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load DataLee PrecisionReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
Titan Reloading Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Modification to Lyman single cavity mold

Boolit Bub Morrison Machine Shop's Avatar
    Its a pin I made.

It looks like that pin extends way outside the mold, apparently to allow reversing it to form the meplat on the non-H.P. version. That may be radiating too much heat to allow good fill on the H.P. version. You might want to try trimming that extension off flush first. You can make another pin insert for the non-H.P. version. An aluminum pin might help or it might cool off too fast due to the lower specific heat of aluminum. You'd need to try it. Good Luck.
    Rick

Boolit Master

Welcome. I do the same job in the Air Force as you did for the Army.

MMS,
    Welcome to the forums.
    I spent eight delightful years south of you at Carbondale.
    Got out to many places about that area, West Franfort, Anna , Marion Prison[visitor ].
    Little Grassy Lake, SIU Camp for children has a particular spot in my heart.
    Rode night horse patrol at that location for campus security .
    Memorable time for sure, all of it.
    Thanks for helping me dredge up some old memories.OH, and now I'm working on a degree of some kind in Metal Tool Technology at a KY Community Tech College.
    Currently making a Tool Post, well maybe anyway!
    Goodluck and again, welcome aboard.
    Dave

Boolit Master

#M,

You might want to try a brass alloy pin. Brass will transfer heat similar to aluminum, but it will retain heat longer than aluminum. Just a thought from a plastic injection mold maker....

Edd
    Charter member Michigan liars club!

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in Government." -- Thomas Jefferson

"Consider the clown(s) just one of God's little nettles in the woods, don't let it detract from the beauty. Sooner or latter you are going to run into the nettles regardless of how careful you are."

Beware of man who types much, but says nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Marvin S View Post
    Welcome. I do the same job in the Air Force as you did for the Army.
    Did you go to school at Aberdeen Proving Grounds, because we trained with the Marines and Air Force there. Boy, I will never forget GSGT Kramer, to this day I'm still scared of him.
    "In the field I will be a sportsman in word and deed, observing all game laws and regulations and avoiding shots that may cripple rather than kill instantly."

Quote Originally Posted by HORNET View Post
    It looks like that pin extends way outside the mold, apparently to allow reversing it to form the meplat on the non-H.P. version. That may be radiating too much heat to allow good fill on the H.P. version. You might want to try trimming that extension off flush first. You can make another pin insert for the non-H.P. version. An aluminum pin might help or it might cool off too fast due to the lower specific heat of aluminum. You'd need to try it. Good Luck.
    Your right, I did cut it down, plus I'm making one out of aluminum, and one out of brass also, and see how they turn out.
    "In the field I will be a sportsman in word and deed, observing all game laws and regulations and avoiding shots that may cripple rather than kill instantly."

Boolit Master

I did not go to Aberdeen, I got a waiver since I have civilian machine shop training that was much longer.And I already had welding certification in TIG process. Lucked out there.