RepackboxWidenersLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2Inline FabricationLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: mold release when remelting hard lube

Boolit Master
    i buy the 2x6 sticks of lube and melt them to make my 1' sticks for my star sizer. i use 1' pvc with a pvc cap on one end . i stick it in a hole in a 2x to stand up right. pour the melted lube in. wait till it is cool or over night. i take all the pipes and put them in a zip lock bag, put them in the freezer over night. the lube almost falls out. if you are buying lube from some place that sales the 2x6 sticks, it is a lot cheeper than the 1' sticks.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 686 View Post
    i buy the 2x6 sticks of lube and melt them to make my 1' sticks for my star sizer. i use 1' pvc with a pvc cap on one end . i stick it in a hole in a 2x to stand up right. pour the melted lube in. wait till it is cool or over night. i take all the pipes and put them in a zip lock bag, put them in the freezer over night. the lube almost falls out. if you are buying lube from some place that sales the 2x6 sticks, it is a lot cheeper than the 1' sticks.
    I will try it looks much simpler than mine
    does the center pine fall has easy, Star sizer don't have a center pin I think, have you tried it with a center pin
    Canuck

Quote Originally Posted by yammerschooner View Post
    Thanks folks. Since I already have some stuck in a tube, I will go chuck it into the freezer for a few hours and try pushing it out.
    I put mine in the freezer as well. A screwdriver blade should pop it out. Mould release works too. The more times you cast a lube stick, the easier it seems to go.

I just melt the lube in a pan and pour it into my sizer. I then use the supplied handle to force it out into really small rings that fit onto my boolits.

Quote Originally Posted by runfiverun View Post
    put it in the freezer

This works like a champ! Thanks.
    I don't rent pigs.

Quote Originally Posted by BABore View Post
    I just melt the lube in a pan and pour it into my sizer. I then use the supplied handle to force it out into really small rings that fit onto my boolits.

Unfortunately, with my big sizer this would cause a huge mess and a lot of down time. It works great with my Star though, as long as I don't put too much in.
    I don't rent pigs.

Quote Originally Posted by 686 View Post

Luckily, my luber takes 2x6 sticks. Part of the reason I will probably have to recast all of the lube I have is that the sticks I am working with are 1 5/8. The extra air space is putting too much air in the lube and it is coming out white and puffy, even if I have the temperature turned down to where lube will barely flow. Putting a new gasket on the plunger solved the problem of lube coming out the top of the sizer, but created the too much air problem.
    I don't rent pigs.

2nd that. Melt and pour straight into the luber.
    I save up small glass jars. Make my lube in a cheap slow cooker then ladle X amount of lube into the jars. Couple minutes in the micro wave and they are ready to poor. Very easy in the Lyman and RCBS type lube reservoirs. Can make a mess in a Star if you fill above the vent hole. Learned the hard way not to do that. Lube pours fine right from the jar. No need for a funnel or any such accessories. Paper towel under it just in case.

Boolit Master
    years ago in a far far away place i had a lyman luber. my first try at making lube was before i knew of hard lube. mine was hard and used a light bulb to make it work. i used an alum. 3/8'" rod in the center if my pipe. after it cooled i would heat the end of the rod and pull it out. the rod was about 2" longer than the stick of lube.

Boolit Master
    Try dipping/rinsing the PVC mould pipes in water to which some dish detergent has been added (dishwater). Stand the PVC up in hloes sunk into (but not through) a 2x4, 2x6, etc. The holes in the wood should have a short center hole the size of the center-rod to aid in holding it upright and straight. Use an end cap with a center hole (as above). The center rod can be smooth wood, aluminum, stainless steel etc. Remove the center rod before you push out the stick. It will help if you have a flat washer the same diameter as the inside of the PVC to push on.
    R.D.M.