RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
WidenersRepackboxInline FabricationLoad Data
Reloading Everything Snyders Jerky

Thread: I found a great deal yesterday

I found a great deal yesterday

I was perusing a local free classified ad site, and found what I have been looking for for about 5 years now. I had been searching for an AFFORDABLE .410 / .22 O/U to hunt squirrels with for some time. I found a Savage model 24 In very good condition for a gun made in 1957. I bought it for $175. The nearest Gander Mountain has a 20 ga / .22 for $699, so I figure it is worth at least $450 if GM is trying to get $700 out of one. The only thing wrong with it is the guys dad owned it and engraved his SSN in the bottom of the receiver. Guy said it has been in the corner of his closet for 20 years. A great deal indeed.
    If grasshoppers carried .45's the birds wouldnt mess with them.

Congrats, that sounds good to me !

And, the pics are.............................

incase, you don't have any pic - here's both of my 22/410's, a Savage & a Stevens

Last edited by pietro; 08-06-2009 at 09:04 AM.
    Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

The pic is .....here. I took it to the range and sighted it in this morning and I am not overly impressed with the rear sight. It moves from side to side rather easily, and I am afraid that it will get bumped and cause me some misses.

It looks great to me - I'd camo/ink out the SSN with a black Sharpie, tighten the rear sight in it's dovetail/attachment, and use it w/o any qualms.

Well pietro, here is a problem I found while putting the .410 barrel on paper. It shoots about 1 foot low and 1 foot to the right of point of aim with the shot bbl and dead on with the .22. Looks like Ill have to use some serious Kentucky windage if I want to hit anything with the shot. Any ideas?

Boolit Grand Master

I have a DL model in 22mag/20ga. now. When I was a kid my Dad bought me a 22/410 with the solid barrels and the selector on the receiver. Sold it like a fool.
    Anyway, my 20ga. will shoot to different points of aim with different loads. So you might try different brands or if you reload, different powder charges or powder.
    I believe this is why Savage seperated the barrels later.

Nice looking firearms by the way. Rare to see a tenite stock in such fine condition.

Great find!!! Sight is easy to fix/replace. May I suggest you keep extra hammer and selector parts on hand.
    That I could be wrong is an eventuality that has not escaped me. I just painted the pictures as I saw them. I do not know how to do anything else. (Saint Elmer, 1955)

Boolit Mold
    I had sold one a few years back, still wish ihad it.

Quote Originally Posted by leadman View Post
    I have a DL model in 22mag/20ga. now. When I was a kid my Dad bought me a 22/410 with the solid barrels and the selector on the receiver. Sold it like a fool.
    Anyway, my 20ga. will shoot to different points of aim with different loads. So you might try different brands or if you reload, different powder charges or powder.
    I believe this is why Savage seperated the barrels later.

Nice looking firearms by the way. Rare to see a tenite stock in such fine condition.
    I will try different loads when I gather enough shells. Mine has a wood stock.

Quote Originally Posted by August View Post
    Great find!!! Sight is easy to fix/replace. May I suggest you keep extra hammer and selector parts on hand.
    HA funny that you say that I was looking at them in the Numrich catalog thinking of ordering some.

Boolit Master

Wish I could find a Model 24 with barrels regulated even close. I used to be hot to get one, but the more I looked into it the more I realized that the factory made no attempt to regulate 'em. I'm sure some folks lucked out - but it's one of the two guns which I would assume was way off from the get-go. (The other being a CVA double barrel percussion rifle.)

That being said - I'd have jumped on it for $175........
    Last edited by jim4065; 08-06-2009 at 02:57 PM. Reason: Forgot to say something.............
    "The possession of arms is the distinction between a freeman and a slave."
    James Burgh, Political Disquisitions, 1774

[here is a problem I found while putting the .410 barrel on paper.]
    [It shoots about 1 foot low and 1 foot to the right of point of aim with the shot bbl and dead on with the .22.]
    [Any ideas?]

Yep - Although it's only "human nature" to do so - never, ever, AIM (use sights) when shooting a shotgun.

Throw that puppy up, quick-like, and pop it.

Boolit Buddy
    I have a Steven's 22/410 that was my first gun....circa 1962. No, I wasn't old enough to use it yet...that made me 4 years old. But, an aunt of mine had it and decided it should follow me home.

The selector...a knob on the right side of the frame, was broken and dad silver soldered it.....hasn't broken since.

The 22 barrel is dead nuts.....and the rear sight needs the dovetail peened a little too, to eliminate the looseness...obviously common for these guns.

The 410 barrel is a joke. It shoots a 40" pattern at 15 yards. I can't count the squirrels I missed due to that....way back when I was a kid. So, I hung it up many years ago.

The plastic stock leaves a lot to be desired as well.

So, it's just an heirloom now. I have always thought that a 22 mag/20 gauge would be a nice combo.
    I'm shufflin' thru the Texas sand..... but my head's in Mississippi

Yeah jumptrap this one is a full choke, but it makes a pretty good size pattern with lots of holes when using # 4 shot. I have yet to pattern it on paper with #6 but dont really expect a huge improvement .

In Remebrance

I've got a Williams site to put on mine. I'll have to see where the 41- hits, I don't think I've put one through it in the 3 years I've owned it. My sons have, but not Dad.