WidenersLoad DataRotoMetals2Repackbox
Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Snyders Jerky

Thread: Whats the most youve overpayed for lead?

Boolit Master

Whats the most youve overpayed for lead?

Just curious as people usually sound shocked I get mine mostly for free.

$0.80 a pound for ingots that were very clean. Pure lead for black powder

about $1.20 pound for linotype

Keep us informed as to how long your free sources hold up and we can gauge when and what to pay.
    Thanks

Banned

buck a lb for lynotype

Boolit Buddy
    I had a local service station saving WWs for me, so I stopped there for gas a couple of times even though they were the highest place around by 20 cents per gallon and people go there only in desperation.
    After a month or so, I went in with bucket in hand to pick up my big score of WWs.
    They had about one and a half handfuls for me.

So I figure about 5-6 bucks a pound!

Boolit Master
    Still costs me an 8-pak of soda at one shop, a dozen doughnuts at another, and some boolits at another.

In Remembrance

$30. per 5 gal.

About 120 one pound ingots.
    My son set up a tire shop to buy four buckets over a period of about a year. We just keep going back for more.
    I had been living large on donations from friends and he started shooting my boolits so he felt he had to contribute.
    At about .25 cents a pound I will ride this horse till it quits. Of course I will keep accepting the usual donations.

Life is good

I'm going to buy another 1000 pounds of WW tomorrow. .45 a pound if he hasn't gone up. If he has...I'll wait.

The highest I paid was my last batch. $.38 # for WW. I'm not going to complain about it, they charge the going rate for prepared WW's. And it is just that, next to no junk. Out of 150# I will get a norm of 3 or less each valve stems and Zn.
    If you don't have the time to do it right, when are you going to find the time to fix it?

$30 for a 5 gal. bucket... once. The last time I checked with the guy he wanted $40, so I passed. I get a 5 gal. bucket full between 3 tire shops every couple of weeks for free, if you don't count some fishing weights, bullets and my tire business. Hope it lasts.

Boolit Buddy
    Last buckets were $20 each ... and I was glad to have them. Not easy to come by in this area.

Just paid $1.50 per kgs for lino. 30kgs of ingots. I think one kilogram = 2lbs 4ozs.
    Lead foot:

Boolit Master

Scrap yard here wants fifty cents a pound for lead. Doesn't matter what kind; Wheel weights, pure, lino whatever. Tire shops get fifty bucks a five gallon bucket.
    Marty-hiding out in the hills.

Boolit Bub

Lead prices

I went to the scrap yard today. Lead is up. Clean soft lead that was .30 cents a pound in April is now .50 cents a pound.

Boolit Master

Price today on ScapIndex.com:

Scrap Lead Wheel Weights LTL 0.24 TL 0.40 lbs USD

so I'd say it is safe to say the prices are easing up. a week ago the LTL was $0.23 and the TL was $0.37. Stock up guys.

Edd
    Charter member Michigan liars club!

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in Government." -- Thomas Jefferson

"Consider the clown(s) just one of God's little nettles in the woods, don't let it detract from the beauty. Sooner or latter you are going to run into the nettles regardless of how careful you are."

Beware of man who types much, but says nothing.

I paid .33 cents a pound a couple of weeks ago at one tire shop. Got about 470lbs there. Another shop I paid 30.00 for a full 5 gallon bucket. Today I went and hit some different tire shops. 3 of the bigger ones said they were spoken for, another said some native americans come by every couple of months and pay him 20.00 for 2 full 5 gallon buckets to make jewlery. I got a little less then a half bucket there for 5.00. Went to another tire shop, he said they dispose of them themselves, I persisted and got a quarter bucket for free, told him I'd be back in a month to see what he had. Went to another front end shop and he gave me a little less then a quater bucket. So today I ended up with 2/3 of a bucket for 5.00. Next Saturday I'm gonna google tire shops in another town and see what I can get. Also I went to a Honda dealer and talked to the service manager, he said they through them away as soon as the take them off and he has never had anyone stop and ask about them. I told him to start throwing them in a bucket and I'd see him in a month. A couple of the places I visited today said they reuse them, I'd have to bet that these are the ones that may be falling off. Take care, Tom

Boolit Master
    $75 for a bucket of wheel weights, one time only, never went back. Now the cheapest I can find are 45 a bucket

Boolit Master & Generous Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by GL49 View Post
    $75 for a bucket of wheel weights, one time only, never went back. Now the cheapest I can find are 45 a bucket
    That’s a lot to me. I’ve paid $20 a bucket full before but only a couple times. I have traded work gloves and other stuff but I balk at anything over $20 a bucket full. I’ll still buy at that price but around here WW don’t appear to be that much in demand other than for fishin sinkers.
    If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.
    Samuel Adams

Sam