MidSouth Shooters SupplyMCD ProductsRepackboxReloading Everything
Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Inline FabricationLee Precision

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Shot my Chrony!!

Boolit Master

I hit one of the uprights on a friends once- he sent it back and I paid for the repair work. I had switched pistols, and the second one shot lower, and left! It hurt me more than it bothered him.
    USMC 1980-1985

In Remembrance

Pleasant Valley, NV, 400 yd. N of Galena Creek
    Quote Originally Posted by jhrosier View Post
    I hit the skyscreen on my Oehler #33 twice.
    First hit was fatal, second just a flesh wound.
    (Hangfire + flinch was a dead center hit.)
    Darn screens are $85 EACH!
    It's a good unit and accurate with the 5' spacing, but it needs 6 D cells for power and is quite inconvenient to set up with 2 screen stands and the spacer bar.
    One of these days I'm going to spring for a chrony with the remote readout and add some armor to the front.

Jack
    Your 33 must be a twin to mine, circa 1980. When I shot the screens they were only $10 each, IIRC. The only other trouble I ever had was when I left the batteries in, and they corroded. I sent it in to Energizer and they either bought a new unit from Oehler or got Oehler to refurbish my old one like new. I have not bought a battery for any use other than Energizer since, even sometimes going to another store to find them. I also use a 5' spacing and the old 33 still works like a champ. I scrupulously remove the batteries after every use!
    Eagles have talons, buzzards don't. The Second Amendment empowers us to be eagles. curmudgeon

Boolit Master
    That looks like the hood on my old pickup truck and yes, the prairie dog did get away. Neil

Quote Originally Posted by NoDakJak View Post
    That looks like the hood on my old pickup truck and yes, the prairie dog did get away. Neil
    You too huh? I've got a crease/hole in the hood of my Jeep from the same thing; aimed that .223 just a little too low, took me a minute to figure out where the bullet went.

almost did it too

I thought I was the only one that still had a Chrony that old that still works ! Mine came with cardboard cutouts to shoot through, with little white plastic shades on top. Within the first year the cardboard looked like swiss cheese. I found out that as long as it isn't a bright sunny day (and sometimes even then) it works just fine without any sky screens at all.
    "A society that values equality above liberty will have neither. A society that values liberty above equality will have plenty of both " - Milton Friedman

When you shoot your chrony you really need to do it right, this was a 535 gr 45-70 ahead of 25 grs of 5744; kind of did a job on it. The trigger was going away on my Browning BPCR and I kept trying to get "one more shot".

Oh well, I fixed it for $35.
    McLintock

Boolit Master
    I'm shooting over a chrony that looks a lot like Patrick's. It replaced one that looked more like McKlintocks
    BD

Boolit Master
    A buddy borrowed mine and buzzed the wires that go "over the top" where the chrony folds.
    He sent it in, had it fixed, kept it, and bought me a new one.
    Good service from chrony but there's a sick part of me that wishes he'd have been an inch lower.
    130 Ballistic Tips @ 3400 through the screen that day would've been pretty cool.

Moderator Emeritus

I nailed mine this past weekend and Chrony's trade-up program makes it only $5 more expensive to trade it in than to just buy one outright from Midway by the time you include shipping.
    Reloading Data Project - (in retirement)
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/reloadersrfrnce/

Boolit Master
    i saw a rental one get shot thru with a 300rum, that thing went flying almost 20' strait up.

i think its still at the range on display.

Boolit Master
    Man I am so glad I built a "Range Holder" for mine!

Basically 8 inches wide and just a touch longer than my Chrony, angled steel plate welded on the front and has a support in the back holding it up if it ever gets hit to deflect boolits up and away from the chrony!

A piece of mirror siliconed into the Ramped under side of the steel plat and a bicycle rear view mirror mounted on the side acts as a "periscope view" and I can see it from the bench with my spotting scope and it reads directly, not backwards, because I use two mirrors!

Never had it hit because of the plate, looks like new for the same reason. Used plumbing pipe to make a stand and it all screws together in three minutes at the range.

Surely somebody thought about a shielding set up besides me?

Sorry no photo's but I shot my target stand yesterday? About 1" above the ground at 50YDS. A major league flinch with my 458 Lott. A little over 3" of wood did not slow it down none. (The stand is fine btw) Oh I killed a chrony about four years ago. 10mm straight through the center! It was one of those all in one ?Chronymaster? Great Chrony BTW! Have a Beta Master now, which isn't as accurate but very scalable with printers and what nots make up for it.
    --------------
    Ron

Boolit Master
    I've killed 2 skyscreens from my 35P ($35 each). A really bad shot in the lane next to me shot one, makes 3 down and counting.
    "Time and money don't do you a bit of good until you spend them." - My Dad

The older Chrony"s aren't happy if you center the readout screen with a 410459 at full throttle either. They do offer good deals on trading in & upgrading. Rebuilt ones are fairly cheap if you want to buy a spare while yours is broke....or so I hear
    Rick

Boolit Buddy

I set up a target, fire one round then set my Chrony up in front of the target. Gives me an aiming point so I don't shoot the Chrony.
    eveready

Boolit Master
    I got a Pact no 1 with BIG sky screens Gave my Chrony away

Boolit Grand Master
    Put a 220 grain round nose soft point through a red F-1 Chrony several years ago.
    That was from the .30-40 Krag. Should have taken pics. Traded the remains in for the blue Chrony Alpha model.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Boolit Grand Master
    Put a 220 grain round nose soft point through a red F-1 Chrony several years ago.
    That was from the .30-40 Krag. Should have taken pics. Traded the remains in for the blue Chrony Alpha model.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Amateurs!

You mean you only shot just one?

Boolit Mold
    I was trying to test some 80 grain sierras through my service rifle AR from prone position with the Chrony sitting on the ground. I didn't realize my prone position was as low as it apperently was on that day.

The 80 grainer mad a streak across the very top of both the front and rear sensors. Chrony said it was not repairable but sold me a new one at a large discount.